Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wrong

Look at Samsungs description. 16gb internal memory (ROM)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Actually, you're wrong. Flash memory is EEPROM. When you say ROM, without specifying the type, you are not referring to the correct type of ROM. ROM, as a standalone term, refers to read only memory which is not meant for writing user data.

Oh and its also funny because what you posted contradicts you attempting to correct me earlier. Funny how that works.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
They say its only 1GB more than the S3, but if I recall, my S3 has 12GB free...not 9 or 10...thats some bull to me but whatever, I keep most of my stuff on the SD Card anyways

Correct the s3 does ship with 12gb free.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Me personally, I have no problems with internal storage until it comes to games and Google music. Most apps allow cache to the sd card, I root so I have the virtual folder to my external sd card. Problem comes when have downloads are 1GB and I can only have 2. I stream my music and cache from Google music and that only does on the internal storage. I have too much music even for a 32gb sd card.

All they have to do is allow apps to install on onsd card again and that'll solve these issues. Why did they take that away anyways?

Sent from my SPH-L710

They do not cache to the external sd card. They cache to the sdcard0, which is the internal storage.

Not sure how people respectfully are not getting that NO data goes to the external card. Exception being media, or files you download with an app or browser that can be set download to the external card. No games and no market app content goes to the external sd card. Samsung is just as ignorant as all the carriers sales staff misleading people. The ONLY real fix is MORE internal storage.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They do not cache to the external sd card. They cache to the sdcard0, which is the internal storage.

I thought it allowed apps to store data on the SD? Its been a while since I owned a phone with one, so I could be wrong.

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you're wrong. Flash memory is EEPROM. When you say ROM, without specifying the type, you are not referring to the correct type of ROM. ROM, as a standalone term, refers to read only memory which is not meant for writing user data.

Oh and its also funny because what you posted contradicts you attempting to correct me earlier. Funny how that works.

I'm just quoting Samsung. I guess you're smarter than Samsung.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Me personally, I have no problems with internal storage until it comes to games and Google music. Most apps allow cache to the sd card, I root so I have the virtual folder to my external sd card. Problem comes when have downloads are 1GB and I can only have 2. I stream my music and cache from Google music and that only does on the internal storage. I have too much music even for a 32gb sd card.

All they have to do is allow apps to install on onsd card again and that'll solve these issues. Why did they take that away anyways?

Sent from my SPH-L710

Google got rid of it because of all the problems it was causing for the users that were using it.

What problems?

-Apps not reloading from sdcard when the phone was rebooted.

-Apps becoming corrupt from being read from external storage not internal storage.

-Data becoming corrupt from being stored on sdcard.

-Apps to sd frying low end sdcards.

-Having to uninstall then reinstall the app and not be able to use it still.

Really I can go on and on, but those are pretty much the main reasons why. Think of it this way.

In computer terms, would you want your data read from an external drive using slow usb ports (usb 3.0/lightning does not count as they aren't fully implemented at an affordable cost yet), or would you want your data being read from an internal drive using sata ports?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It does, but sdcard0, which is the internal storage. The second update of ice cream sandwich got rid of system allocations and the ability to install and move apps to the sd card. The internal space now has this function and is part of the security of the OS for Jellybean. Also, customer service calls went way up because some did not get that when they removed the sd card, apps stopped working and vanished. Google got rid of the feature ASAP when ICS was more mature.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Not sure how people respectfully are not getting that NO data goes to the external card. Exception being media, or files you download with an app or browser that can be set download to the external card. No games and no market app content goes to the external sd card. Samsung is just as ignorant as all the carriers sales staff misleading people. The ONLY real fix is MORE internal storage.

Honeycomb and back does allow moving data to your sdcard, Google did away with it in ics.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Honeycomb and back does allow moving data to your sdcard, Google did away with it in ics.

You are correct. I am confusing this due to the Toshiba tablets had HC and some never got ICS. Point is you can NOT install or move any app data to the external card on the S4 and Samsung is now just as bad as the carriers misleading customers in a bad way. Pure stupid for them since it is their product.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. I am confusing this due to the Toshiba tablets had HC and some never got ICS. Point is you can NOT install or move any app data to the external card on the S4 and Samsung is now just as bad as the carriers misleading customers in a bad way. Pure stupid for them since it is their product.

There's a difference between moving apps and moving app data. Unless something changed with 4.2.2 if the app is set up for it you should be able to move data to the sd card.

Sent from my Note 2

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow people are arguing semantics now. Ridiculous. No matter how you spin it, it still sucks. Yes, Samsung says 16gb storage. No, they did not specify how that is used. We get it. The thing is if they knew their os with all that crap on it would take that much space, they should have not even offered a 16gb model. 8gb is not enough for a top of the line phone that based on most buyers is supposed to last two years due to a contract. I can tell you right now I've had my one x for a year now 16gb model and I've recently had to start deleting pictures. It's annoying. And I have maybe about 50 apps on it. Yes you have an sd card on the s4 but it does not hold apps. I think it's complete garbage and I'm sorry for people that buy that model and didn't wait for the 32gb model.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There's a difference between moving apps and moving app data. Unless something changed with 4.2.2 if the app is set up for it you should be able to move data to the sd card.

Sent from my Note 2

That's what I thought. I could have sworn the S3 I had a long time ago had it.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This type of Samsung BS is exactly the reason why I went with the HTC One over the S4. I was shocked in store about the lack of storage and having an external card for what I use (apps) is not helpful. Plus Touchwiz is nothing more than a resource hog and I couldn't stand it lagging in store vs the smoothness of Sense 5 on the HTC.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I think that Samsung is also trying to push the cloud services for media. Sd cards like it or not will not be around in the future.
This is another important reason why to offer higher internal storage.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Samsung advertises the S4 as being 16GB. They do however state that not all of it is usable but never state how much the consumer actually has to use. Now, if Samsung included all the software in the rom leaving total usable space at 16GB (minus formatting) then advertising it as 16GB would be appropriate. But they don't. They slam the software on the 16GB leaving 8.xxGB for the end user. If this software could be removed (which it can't), touting it as a 16GB would be correct.

What I'm saying is that if the software could be removed, then advertising it as a 16GB would be right. But since the software can't be removed, changed, deleted, aborted, kicked, slammed or anything thereof because it's part of the system, it is a 9GB phone. Sorry. Samsung really pis*ed me off with this crap. I know all manufacturers do this to some extent but Sammy seems to be the leader in a round-a-bout deception practice.

Think of it this way. You look at a new crossover vehicle advertising that it seats 7 but the seats that hold the 3 extra people can't be used because of extra battery housings.