Anyone switch from a Blackberry to a S4 (or Android in general)

jaxterzz

May 3, 2013
Visit site
My first post! :D So I've been one of the rare Blackberry loyal fans out there in the world and was the first one to defend them when everyone else lost all belief in the company. Well, I'm finally raising the white flag and surrendering to Android. The Samsung Galaxy S4 totally captivated me and I actually placed my order for it online today!

I'm coming from a Blackberry Torch and this will be my first Android phone. I'm just wondering for the people who had a Blackberry before was the transition easy or hard? What were the biggest things you've missed from the Blackberry? Things that pop into my head right away are probably gonna be BBM, the physical keyboard experience, notification lights, Blackberry Traffic (not sure if any smart phone GPS can beat BB Traffic - that app is amazing!) and that may be it... lol.

I'm not going to miss the lagginess (though I'm really nervous reading all these posts about the S4 lagging but hopefully when a new OS update comes out it can solve this problem), the crappy camera, the battery resets, and most of all the lack of apps and the lack of a fun factor.

I should also add in Blackberry has always been known for having a good battery life so I'm crossing my fingers that the battery life on the S4 can at least last me a full day. I charge my phone every night when I'm sleeping so I could care less if a phone can last over a day in battery power.

Any input, advice, or feedback is welcome!

Bye bye Crackberry and hellloo Android Central! :)

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I really only missed BBM but not for long. My Samsung Galaxy Nexus is just so much more everything- than my BB Storm 2. You won't be sorry!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I switched from blackberry to android about 2 years ago and never looked back. At first I was overwhelmed especially since with blackberry i was able to change my OS easily and when i wanted be it an official or leaked/unofficial OS. I felt stuck on stupid with android and to be honest i still don't even attempt to mess with my android OS for fear of bricking my phone. The most I've done is root my phone lol. I did miss BBM though

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have never owned a blackberry and therefore I've never understood the fascination with BBM. Limited to blackberry so all your friends won't be able to use it. From what I've heard and I can't say if it's true or not but you can't send video or audio files? Is that true? Whatsapp, kik, messageme, chaton is already installed on the phone and I think it's awesome. Won't take you long to forget about BBM once you see all the features you'll have with all the cross platform messengers out there.
As far as the battery goes, very easy to last days with the small screen and lack of multi tasking. Your new toy (S4 if that's what you choose) will be in your hands all day. You won't be able to put it down. Soooooo many options. Soooooo much more customizable. Even the die hard apple iPhone users are starting to come over. Lol. Enjoy the new toy/phone my friends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
After six years of being a BlackBerry owner, I switched to the GS3 on launch day last year and got the GS4 on launch day. I was still holding out on the Z10 but there was not enough to make me switch back. You won't regret making the move. We can only give you our impressions. It is your choice. Go in the store and try the Z10 and the GS4.

Sent Via My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I was a BlackBerry user for 12 years before I switched to the Note 2. I had taken BBM off my phone because I no longer had any real contacts. I was also tired of apps never coming to the platform. In retrospect, I should have switched back in 2010 and gotten the S2. The Torch 9800 I got then proved to be a horrible device. The 9810 I got a year later -- mainly because AT&T gave me an unasked for early upgrade to the 9810 for $49 -- was at best a marginal improvement. I would never go back to that platform again in a million years. It had its time, and is now only a niche player for the odd company, fanatical Canadians, Brits who don't know any better, and sectors of the developing world.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes me. I left blackberry torch and one thing it did well was live without a case lol so many drops.
Anyways from the BB torch(gave to my daughter,) I went to iphone and now Android.
I never looked back.
My samsung captivate my husband took and kept it til last month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Wait, I had the curve 8900 javelin. As well... I did a lot of emailing with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

jaxterzz

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have never owned a blackberry and therefore I've never understood the fascination with BBM. Limited to blackberry so all your friends won't be able to use it. From what I've heard and I can't say if it's true or not but you can't send video or audio files? Is that true? Whatsapp, kik, messageme, chaton is already installed on the phone and I think it's awesome. Won't take you long to forget about BBM once you see all the features you'll have with all the cross platform messengers out there.
As far as the battery goes, very easy to last days with the small screen and lack of multi tasking. Your new toy (S4 if that's what you choose) will be in your hands all day. You won't be able to put it down. Soooooo many options. Soooooo much more customizable. Even the die hard apple iPhone users are starting to come over. Lol. Enjoy the new toy/phone my friends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

The exact opposite. You can send pictures, videos, audio files etc all for free with BBM. However, I believe other 3rd party apps can do the same now. My BBM list is dwindling anyways so it's time for a change and I'm quite excited for it!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I came from BB to the old Droid. I immediately wend back to BB. That thing was awful. But I never once used BBM. All my friends used SMS. and BB through OS7 handled that better than anything else. It's a closer race now, although SMS on the Z10 is a step back if you ask me.

But right now I think that 10 is going to put up a nice show against Android and iOS. It's a nice operating system and the new BB phones are nice platforms. There are some bugs to work out but I may end up back on BB, if the Q10 ever shows up and doesn't show the same bugs the Z10 is showing at the moment. However, I am on the Note 2 and HTC DNA, and going to that smaller screen might be a bit painful Idk - I was happy with my 9930 which also has a small screen and much lower resolution. I guess it depends on what you want. For me communications is key, with games and movies a distant second place. But other applications - like One Note and some of the new calculators - available on the larger screened platforms are eating into my need to carry a laptop. In fact I'm contemplating a trip to Arkansas with just the Note 2 and leave the tablet or laptop at home.

I'm not loyal to any brand or platform. I just love tech and stand in wonder. It wasn't that long ago I keyed in bootloaders from my computers front panel using rocker switches (well, not mine - property of the US Navy) and loaded programs from punch tape. Now I carry a super computer in my pocket and play solitaire on it when I'm bored. Or I run Spice electronic circuit simulations on the same device! In-freaking-credible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana