Double press of home button to launch Google Voice Search?

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to configure Galaxy S4 such that double-pressing the home button launches google now's voice search instead of S-Voice?

Osho

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
An app called Home 2 shortcut. It's on the play store. Make sure to disable S Voice as well. Google a how to use if the app gives you any issues.

Is it possible to configure Galaxy S4 such that double-pressing the home button launches google now's voice search instead of S-Voice?

Osho

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
An app called Home 2 shortcut. It's on the play store. Make sure to disable S Voice as well. Google a how to use if the app gives you any issues.

Thanks for the pointer.

Does this require root? This didn't work for me. I disabled S Voice and then installed home 2 shortcut. Programmed the double home button press to open "Voice Search" - but the google now voice search doesn't open. It always opens the Voice actions (which starts with "Say Call followed by name or number...").

Is there any way to make it open the google now voice search?

Thanks,
Osho

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the pointer.

Does this require root? This didn't work for me. I disabled S Voice and then installed home 2 shortcut. Programmed the double home button press to open "Voice Search" - but the google now voice search doesn't open. It always opens the Voice actions (which starts with "Say Call followed by name or number...").

Is there any way to make it open the google now voice search?

Thanks,
Osho

Make sure Home 2 Shortcut is your launcher when you close the app out, like the instructions say. I'm completely stock and mine works fine. Maybe try reinstalling or rebooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367762920714.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367762920714.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 151
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367762931840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367762931840.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 153
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367762939861.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367762939861.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 150

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Make sure Home 2 Shortcut is your launcher when you close the app out, like the instructions say. I'm completely stock and mine works fine. Maybe try reinstalling or rebooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Thanks for the detailed instructions with screenshots. I did the exact same thing - step by step. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

Thanks,
Osho

FisherOfMen58

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
work perfectly, thanks for the screen shots. oshogg, go into settings, more, application manager, all, find your launcher (default is TouchWiz home) and clear defaults. Then try the steps again, it works!

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
App works, double tap opened Google Now like a champ. BUT, since you have to assign Home2 as the launcher, clicking home button just once now opens the Home2 app and doesn't perform the 'normal' Touchwiz function....i wish there was a way around that.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
App works, double tap opened Google Now like a champ. BUT, since you have to assign Home2 as the launcher, clicking home button just once now opens the Home2 app and doesn't perform the 'normal' Touchwiz function....i wish there was a way around that.

This never happened for me with the app. Choosing Home2 as the launcher just makes it so its always running if I'm not mistaken. I think in the settings you literally have to choose touchwiz as an option. It may be the only step I didn't take a screenshot of. If I had my phone close by, I'd take a look for you.

Try going through the settings one more time and make sure touchwiz is selected when it opportunity presents itself.

Edit: here's the setting I was talking about which should prevent that.
ge9aheda.jpg

Last edited:

raffinj

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Glad it's working for everyone else... when I double-tap the home key, it opens up this dark gray screen then closes it again. That's all. Any suggestions?

ddd34

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, if you don't uncheck the double home-press option in the s voice app before you disable it, the system will still try to direct you to the app when you double-press the home button, then fail with a gray screen flashing up briefly.

What you need to do to correct this is re-enable s voice (it's at the very bottom of the list of apps now that it's disabled), go into s voice and hit your menu button, then uncheck the option relating to double-clicking the home button, disable s voice again and then you should be fine.

If it still doesn't work, I'd uninstall, then reinstall the home 2 shortcut app. Hope this helps!

ddd34

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I dunno. I'd uninstall home 2 shortcut, re-enable s voice, then start over from the beginning, that way you can be sure you didn't miss any steps :-/

HaggisWarrior

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Thank you so much. I couldn't get this to work when I had it working previously. The disabling of S Voice did the trick, Once again, THANK YOU! No idea why this isn't stock.....

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Try swipepad. You won't want to double tap home key any more. Seriously, quick access to as many things as you want. Even the free version is great...Try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

eatsleeplaxsoccer

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Dude that was it! I had to disable S Voice double tap home for home2 shortcut to work.
It was working fine on my Galaxy S4 (active) for a while, but then yesterday I just reset it and it wasn't working. I mustve disabled s voice the first time and not realized that was related.
thanks!

Bo Mathis

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
In case this helps anyone, it appears that if the Nova Launcher is installed (even if not being used), it conflicts with the Home2 Shortcut functionality.

I just got the Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat update on my Sprint Galaxy Note 3. Everything seems to be working ok except the Home2 Shortcut.
Coincidentally, I had also installed the Nova Launcher soon after the update. Although I decided to stick with TouchWiz, I didn't un-install the Nova Launcher app. I later found that even if not active, the Nova Launcher being present will not allow the Home2 Shortcut to work.

Uninstalling the Nova Launcher fixed the Home2 Shortcut app for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress