For people that say 16gb isn't enough....

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
What are you putting on your phone? I have quite a bit of apps and I'm not nearly close to filling up my internal memory! I agree that Samsung shouldn't be able to pass this off as a 16gb model but they can so oh well. Serious question tho, what are you guys putting on your phone? Haha

Sent from my ATT Galaxy S4

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have 38 downloaded APPS (just counted) and all the original bloatware on my S4. The total memory space free is 9.62 GB. The available space is 8.13 GB. I have a 64GB SD card from music and photos. No memory problems for me (except my own personal memory). I would disagree that they are "passing this off as a 16gb model." No phone will have the advertised total internal memory free. For example, the HTC One 32GB and 64GB phones will not have that amount free because of the OS and bloatware.

Eric Kane 1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have 38 downloaded APPS (just counted) and all the original bloatware on my S4. The total memory space free is 9.62 GB. The available space is 8.13 GB. I have a 64GB SD card from music and photos. No memory problems for me (except my own personal memory). I would disagree that they are "passing this off as a 16gb model." No phone will have the advertised total internal memory free. For example, the HTC One 32GB and 64GB phones will not have that amount free because of the OS and bloatware.

If memory serves, and I could be wrong, but the 32GB One has 25GB free.

FeFiFoJessica

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't have my S4 yet, but Sprint forums have been blowing UP talking about storage. They must be business people/power users. I don't mind getting an SD card. A lot of people will NEVER use that much memory.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
What are you putting on your phone? I have quite a bit of apps and I'm not nearly close to filling up my internal memory! I agree that Samsung shouldn't be able to pass this off as a 16gb model but they can so oh well. Serious question tho, what are you guys putting on your phone? Haha

I expect to own the S4 for at least 2 years; probably more. Are you saving the size of Apps will NOT grow in size over those two years? Were there any APPs larger than 1 Gb two years ago? Not that I'm aware of ... but maybe. All APPs seem to be growing in size so how can you say 16Gb will be enough? I'd rather pay more $$$ for internal storage than for SD storage.

I may want a V8 engine. You may be satisfied with a 4 cylinder. So be it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Some people store lots of music on their phone.. Not just apps. This way they can save on data and play music from the device instead of stream.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

dd_terry

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't have my (32gb) Sprint S4 yet (Fingers crossed). But two things:

1. Samsung announced they would have 32gb and 64gb options. iPhones come with 32 and 64gb options also. So, does the HTC One. So apparently there is a market for these things. I just am waiting for Samsung/Sprint to make available the option that I want.

2. I've been playing with computers since the days of the Commodore 64 and Apple II. I have seen time and time again how you buy a new device with *a lot* of storage and think, "I'll never need more than (said storage amount)". And, in time I run out. Right now my HTC Shift 4g is full. When I first got it it was a big improvement over my HTC Hero. Now I'm playing the app shuffle (removing an app to install a new app) and always look for the smallest size app when looking to try something new. And, mind you this is with Cyanogenmod installed so I don't have any Sprint bloatware.

Yes 8+gb seems like a lot of space. Yes you can store media on an sdcard. But, I will not lay down that kind of cash and get the beast like the S4 and not get the storage I want.

So, I wait.

My two cents.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Some people store lots of music on their phone.. Not just apps. This way they can save on data and play music from the device instead of stream.

Get a SD card.

That.. Isn't even the point of the post lol. SD card or not some may want a bigger capacity phone AND a SD card.

So either way.. I'm explaining why someone would possible want a bigger phone size instead of 16 GB since the OP asked. I'm just going off personal experience with my friends... They have ridiculous amounts of music lol :).

I personally just stream and agree with the OP saying 16 GB is enough. (see next post for my free space on my S3)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For my post (above).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367939292016.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367939292016.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 94

RazgrizX

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I travel a lot so I put my FLAC music in my S3 and now S4 sometimes I wanna watch my favorite 1080p movie on my phone so yeah I had an microSD card and no I wouldn't complain on internal memory issue on S3 and I'm not planing to start now with my S4.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think it's pretty well settled that the only ones who really need a 32GB S4 are those people who load their phones up with giant games. People with tons of music or videos are fine with a 16GB and an SD card. (Of course, if you have more music than can fit on a 64GB card, you might want a 32GB for the overflow.)

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't care much about the space left for apps because I'm not a serious gamer. Those users would have issues because full games can be up to a gig. I download ironman 3 for my son the other day and that thing was just under and gig and I wasn't expecting that. The only issue I found is that I did like to use play music as my main music player. Problem here is that you cannot download music from play music to your SD card and it cannot play music from an SD card. So then I have to use another player and another method for syncing. So other than that, most users shouldn't have much of an issue because everything else can be saved to the SD.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it's pretty well settled that the only ones who really need a 32GB S4 are those people who load their phones up with giant games. People with tons of music or videos are fine with a 16GB and an SD card. (Of course, if you have more music than can fit on a 64GB card, you might want a 32GB for the overflow.)

No, for many of us it's not settled at all. The carriers may want you to think its settled -- so they can sell the phones they initially stocked. And who's to say Google won't require all music to be on internal memory in the future like they did with APPs? Prepare for the worst situation... buy the largest amount of memory you can afford. THEN buy a huge SD card.

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't care much about the space left for apps because I'm not a serious gamer. Those users would have issues because full games can be up to a gig. I download ironman 3 for my son the other day and that thing was just under and gig and I wasn't expecting that. The only issue I found is that I did like to use play music as my main music player. Problem here is that you cannot download music from play music to your SD card and it cannot play music from an SD card. So then I have to use another player and another method for syncing. So other than that, most users shouldn't have much of an issue because everything else can be saved to the SD.

Separate issue but can you tell me how to get iron man 3 on my phone? Haha

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
No, for many of us it's not settled at all. The carriers may want you to think its settled -- so they can sell the phones they initially stocked. And who's to say Google won't require all music to be on internal memory in the future like they did with APPs? Prepare for the worst situation... buy the largest amount of memory you can afford. THEN buy a huge SD card.

That's speculative. I'm dealing with present day facts -- present day OSes on present day phones. It's settled vis a vis the S4 and JB.