For people that say 16gb isn't enough....

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
people need to realize not everyone just installs 5MB apps on their phones. A lot of ppl are downloading high quailty games that can take over a gig of space. Then u have music that takes up a lot of space also and recorded videos.

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
people need to realize not everyone just installs 5MB apps on their phones. A lot of ppl are downloading high quailty games that can take over a gig of space. Then u have music that takes up a lot of space also and recorded videos.

Put the music and videos on a SD card like many have stated.... Saves you quite a bit of space.

Sent from my ATT Galaxy S4

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
There is also the issue of those that use google music and/or youtube with prefetch caching (don't believe those will get cached on an sd card)

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
There is also the issue of those that use google music and/or youtube with prefetch caching (don't believe those will get cached on an sd card)

They don't. I exclusively use Google Music and when my collection is 10GB and usable data is 8.8GB... Well hence why I returned mine and am patiently awaiting Friday.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The general premise of the op has me concerned. Seems we are being asked a question based on the op's own perspective of a standard and imposition.

It is real simple. Carriers are offering a model with 8 to 9 gb if space for the user. If you do not use data heavy apps, be happy with your 16gb model. That said, please do not impose your standard of lighter app use to everyone else :)

Seems some carriers are trying to get away with just that and lying (at this stage that is what it is) about putting apps in sd cards. They are charging what the 32gb S3 went for (not At&t) and hoping that between them and Samsung acquiescing with the sd card BS will get them some extra margin.

All it will take them is the two week return window to get away with it. Yes, they do think this way.

Distrack

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
EA's Need for Speed Most Wanted = 2 gig
Gameloft Asphal 7 = 1.6 Gig
Modern Combat 4 = 1.9Gig
Let's Golf 3 = 851Meg

Most Gameloft games, racing games and FPS games are huge.

I dont understand why people try to defend Samsung. The 32Gb and a 64Gb model should have been available since day one.

Last edited:

Distrack

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I travel a lot so I put my FLAC music in my S3 and now S4 sometimes I wanna watch my favorite 1080p movie on my phone so yeah I had an microSD card and no I wouldn't complain on internal memory issue on S3 and I'm not planing to start now with my S4.

internal memory issue has nothing to do with media files, its all about apps.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
EA's Need for Speed Most Wanted = 2 gig
Gameloft Asphal 7 = 1.6 Gig
Moder Combat 4 = 1.9Gig
Let's Golf 3 = 851Meg

Most Gameloft games, racing games and FPS games are huge.

I dont understand why people try to defend Samsung. The 32Gb and a 64Gb model should have been available since day one.

Because Samsung isn't to blame. They made it clear they had the higher capacity storage versions available. It's up to the carriers to purchase them and then offer them to the consumer. If there's not a lot of demand for the 32GB or 64GB version, they won't offer it. AT&T decided to take a chance and offer the higher storage. Verizon tried it last year with the S3 and I guarantee they took a loss on it.

Before anyone says anything about demand, please understand that the majority of the people that buy these phones are not people who visit forums or even know they exist. So I would guess there isn't a large demand for them, but AT&T decided to take a gamble. More power to them.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I presumed the same thing until rather than Samsung stating they are offering larger sizes to their partners, they stated that you can add an sd card and problem solved.

Their hands due to this very ridiculous and very misleading statement are just as dirty with BS.

BTW, the 32gb was ten to fifteen percent of the mix. Now that the trend of apps is larger, no data to sd option and less storage in the 16, you can probably add ten points to that range.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I presumed the same thing until rather than Samsung stating they are offering larger sizes to their partners, they stated that your can add an sd card and problem solved.

Their hands due to this very ridiculous and very misleading statement are just as dirty with BS.

So what is their response supposed to be?

"Well, we don't care if we throw our carrier partners under the bus, but they won't offer them because they don't want to lose money."?

You have a phone to use, they have a business to run. They did what they're supposed to do.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So what is their response supposed to be?

"Well, we don't care if we throw our carrier partners under the bus, but they won't offer them because they don't want to lose money."?

You have a phone to use, they have a business to run. They did what they're supposed to do.

I hardly think misleading your customers is any due course for a sincere and amicable resolution.

Added:

That said, that is probably why they essentially lied. From an objective standpoint, that is what they have done.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I hardly think misleading your customers is any due course for a sincere and amicable resolution.

Neither is straining your relationship with the carriers that make you the most money. AT&T taking the plunge shows their commitment to offer what they believe their customers want. It also shows, considering they aren't advertising it as an exclusive, that it is up to the carriers to decide to offer this or not.

Distrack

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Because Samsung isn't to blame. They made it clear they had the higher capacity storage versions available. It's up to the carriers to purchase them and then offer them to the consumer. If there's not a lot of demand for the 32GB or 64GB version, they won't offer it. AT&T decided to take a chance and offer the higher storage. Verizon tried it last year with the S3 and I guarantee they took a loss on it.

Before anyone says anything about demand, please understand that the majority of the people that buy these phones are not people who visit forums or even know they exist. So I would guess there isn't a large demand for them, but AT&T decided to take a gamble. More power to them.

doesnt make any sense since I can find the 32Gb versions of many other phones since the day they came out

oat77

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So my Galaxy S4 has 8 GBs left. Does this mean I can put 8 gigs worth of apps on there? I had the Atrix 4g and that had about 10 gigs left but it said only 2 were available for apps.
So 8 would be more than enough for me, if its the full 8 I can use as I please

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Put the music and videos on a SD card like many have stated.... Saves you quite a bit of space.

Sent from my ATT Galaxy S4

More to the point, what's the cost to Samsung just to use nothing but 64GB? $18 extra dollars per device? Subtract that from the cost of engineering 31 different models of the phone and my guess is it'd be more profitable just to have one device that has 64GB only, one kind of processor and works on every network (with minor carrier tweaking for the proprietary bits).