Galaxy S4 Nexus Edition: Port to Verizon S4

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Being on Verizon (Thou shall not switch carriers for a phone..), what is the likelihood of getting a port (not CyanogenMod) of the S4 Nexus Edition software to the Verizon S4? How would that work?

AOSP > *

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Being on Verizon (Thou shall not switch carriers for a phone..), what is the likelihood of getting a port (not CyanogenMod) of the S4 Nexus Edition software to the Verizon S4? How would that work?

AOSP > *

Given that there most likely would have been ROMs based on AOSP regardless, I'd say chances are good ;). You'd have to see what the developers will do to see how it will work. It will probably be just flashing a ROM like any other. Check XDA development for your device once it drops.

icellphones32

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
So what's the difference between the to? Will the Google version have air gestures, nfc and all? I'm considering returning my GS4 from tmobile to have the newest one.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It may be possible to get a port, but you wont get OTA updates from Google
I'd rather have a working port that isn't some modded up ROM that's an update behind than deal with AT&T/T-Mobile or get stuck dealing with TouchWiz. :)

So what's the difference between the to? Will the Google version have air gestures, nfc and all? I'm considering returning my GS4 from tmobile to have the newest one.
I think the hardware will be identical, I am curious to see how/if Google integrates the extra sensors on the S4 into Android.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

The Google version will not have anything that samsung includes stock. No air gestures, look away, scrolling. No touch wiz. S-health, any apps that say samsung will probably not be included. NFC will be because thats part of the hardware and stock android supports it. If your someone that uses/likes all the extras that come with the regular S4 over timely updates then stick with your current S4. The google S4 will definitely get updates MONTHS before the regular version, but some people don't consider that a priority over features.

If Verizon received this phone i would jump on it in a second because timely updates are important to me. Even if i had to shovel out $400 more due to it not being subsidized. But on the other hand, knowing that there will be an AOSP version for the Gs4 will really help getting ports fast for the regular S4 on Verizon. Time will tell.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The Google version will not have anything that samsung includes stock. No air gestures, look away, scrolling. No touch wiz. S-health, any apps that say samsung will probably not be included. NFC will be because thats part of the hardware and stock android supports it. If your someone that uses/likes all the extras that come with the regular S4 over timely updates then stick with your current S4. The google S4 will definitely get updates MONTHS before the regular version, but some people don't consider that a priority over features.

If Verizon received this phone i would jump on it in a second because timely updates are important to me. Even if i had to shovel out $400 more due to it not being subsidized. But on the other hand, knowing that there will be an AOSP version for the Gs4 will really help getting ports fast for the regular S4 on Verizon. Time will tell.

THANK YOU!! Finally someone with some sense! :) The hype around this "Nexus Galaxy S4" is soooo focused on getting Vanilla Android and straight-from-Google updates that they keep forgetting the most important thing they WON'T get: All of the S4's fancy new features!! Yes, gimmicks if you will, but it's what sets this phone appart from the rest. You will, however, get Photosphere, so that's a plus.