Why was there no crazy line-ups like the launch of every iPhones?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They stand in line for the exact reason Star Wars fans camped out to see the prequels. Both products, in my opinion, are completely lackluster, uninteresting and over-hyped. :)

Treasonous blasphemy. The prequels sucked but not enough to start comparing them to apple line standers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Treasonous blasphemy. The prequels sucked but not enough to start comparing them to apple line standers.

Meh. I was a die hard SW fan until the prequels killed it for me. Still, my point was comradery between Appleites.

And 'treasonous'?! Against whom? The guy who decided midichlorians was a good idea? He needed to be overthrown anyway. LOL :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Meh. I was a die hard SW fan until the prequels killed it for me. Still, my point was comradery between Appleites.

And 'treasonous'?! Against whom? The guy who decided midichlorians was a good idea? He needed to be overthrown anyway. LOL :)

Probably the same jerk that thought I cared what Vader was like as a brat.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
No, I dont.....to be honest. I dont see how that relates to my post you were replying to.... For one, I dont place Google or Android on a pedestal like some ppl place the iPhone, iOS, Apple.

But by indirectly insulting Apple and their users, aren't you by implication elevating Android in general? This is one thing I've had to get accustomed to in Android forums since buying an Android phone recently - the almost obligatory put-down of Apple and its users. Well, as Oscar Wilde said, "There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." :)

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Except they don't. They have three separate versions, each with different specs and different features. They are three different phones.
I think you may be missing the important point, here. With the iPhone there's one manufacturer and each new model is designed to be an upgrade from the previous model. In other words, there's only one product line for the iPhone. There is now two for the iPad (regular and mini) and four for the iPod (shuffle, nano, touch and classic). With Android there are several manufacturers all putting out new versions of phones on multiple product lines. Given that they only release one new phone on this one line every 10-12 months, and that it's an objectively awesome product, it's easy to see why there's so much buzz for each release. Everyone who wants what will be the best iPhone for the next year is waiting for the exact same date and time. Which Android phone is the "best" is much more subjective and will change every couple months. There isn't a huge backlog of super devoted fans all waiting to get their hands on one product all at the same time. The S4 has been the closest thing to that since the original Droid debuted at Verizon and even then there were two phones being released simultaneously with almost no fan base.

I think that that fact, along with the tradition of waiting in line for each new phone are the main reasons you see it with iPhones but not Android phones.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
But by indirectly insulting Apple and their users, aren't you by implication elevating Android in general? This is one thing I've had to get accustomed to in Android forums since buying an Android phone recently - the almost obligatory put-down of Apple and its users. Well, as Oscar Wilde said, "There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." :)

I didn't know anything I posted was an insult......:) directly or indirectly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you may be missing the important point, here. With the iPhone there's one manufacturer and each new model is designed to be an upgrade from the previous model. In other words, there's only one product line for the iPhone. There is now two for the iPad (regular and mini) and four for the iPod (shuffle, nano, touch and classic). With Android there are several manufacturers all putting out new versions of phones on multiple product lines. Given that they only release one new phone on this one line every 10-12 months, and that it's an objectively awesome product, it's easy to see why there's so much buzz for each release. Everyone who wants what will be the best iPhone for the next year is waiting for the exact same date and time. Which Android phone is the "best" is much more subjective and will change every couple months. There isn't a huge backlog of super devoted fans all waiting to get their hands on one product all at the same time. The S4 has been the closest thing to that since the original Droid debuted at Verizon and even then there were two phones being released simultaneously with almost no fan base.

I think that that fact, along with the tradition of waiting in line for each new phone are the main reasons you see it with iPhones but not Android phones.

You seem to be missing the fact that there are actually three distinct iPhone models.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
maybe the right answer here is "WHO CARES!" If you get your jollies by standing in line all night for a phone, knock yourself out!!! I got the phone I wanted and had the forthought to reserve one before launch...I walked in and picked it up AFTER I got off work!
With 10 mil shipped in less then 30 days, I hardly think Samsung is worried about lines!

Cheers

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Primarily because there are multiple Android flagship launches per year, while there is only one iPhone launch annually. Since the last iPhone launch, how many Android-based flagship phones have come out?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

This and what others have said. Keep initial supply low and a small amount of stores and voila instant lines. Android devices are numerous and more widely available. Although the s4 was sold out around where I live for about a week and in limited supply for another week after that. Hmmm... to get a s4 or note2? That is the question.

Posted via Android Central App

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I was curious why. On the firsr launch day, I didn't see anybody lining up for this phone. And where is the media covering people going crazy over this device?

Simple. Because they arnt limited to just a few retailers and everyone who does offer it offers a preorders unlike apple crap

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Simple. Because they arnt limited to just a few retailers and everyone who does offer it offers a preorders unlike apple crap

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
Every carrier that sells an apple device offers a preorder for it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I always figured it was because Apple has their own stores.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P
It was the case originally because, IIRC, the only place you could buy them was from the Apple Store. That isn't the case anymore but it's one of the reasons the tradition started.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung's main consumer market are the developing countries - the China's and India's of the world.

By the way, that figure of $4,000,000,000+ for marketing fails to distinguish between Samsung's smartphone division and the parent company itself; "Samsung Group".

Do these people have any idea what the Mega-Conglomerate Samsung is involved with?

Yeah I don't know where they got that. The figure for the electronics division, which was dominated by the phone division, was $400 million. Still more than anyone else, but not quite as outrageous a sum

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2