06-02-2013 09:24 AM
33 12
tools
    OK, I don't want to get in the middle of this but one thing is VERY obvious to me, how in the world can you say "Samsung doesn't"!? You have no idea! None of us do! PERIOD!

Cheers!
    06-01-2013 10:42 PM
    Honestly, you just pull things out of thin air. How do you know Samsung doesn't do contracts like Apple. I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that only Apple, of all the businesses in the world, is the only one that sells products on contract that does not require them to take unsold products back. It's obvious that you are relying on your own personal opinion rather than verifiable, independent information. So let's cut to the chase and forget all the personal opinion. Do you agree that it is a fact that if Samsung has a contract with Best Buy like Apple had with Leap, Samsung would not have to take any unsold phones back? Just a yes or no answer and we are done.
    We know for a fact Samsung does not have a contract like apple does. That's the reason why apple is being investigated for their contract stipulations. So...your hypothetical situation isn't even worth responding to, because we know that isn't the case.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-01-2013 10:49 PM
    Did we all miss that post up there asking for the bickering to stop? Cause I'm pretty sure its there...

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    06-01-2013 10:50 PM
    OK, I don't want to get in the middle of this but one thing is VERY obvious to me, how in the world can you say "Samsung doesn't"!? You have no idea! None of us do! PERIOD!

Cheers!
    Because apple is being investigated by the EU for their contract practices precisely because competitors like Samsung do not have similar contracts in place.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-01-2013 10:52 PM
    There has been a lot of discussion about Samsung shipping phones rather than selling them. Well of course for a cell phone manufacturer shipping is the same as selling. But here is some information on how the S4 is doing in regards to sales to the customer.

Galaxy S-4 demand in the first month of availability has been incrementally better than our estimate of 10M units, Sue wrote in a note to clients on Thursday. In comparison, the S-III took nearly 2 months (50 days) to achieve the 10M units mark. Our broad-based channel checks at U.S. stores indicate that demand for the 16G S-4 devices remains strong with 32G Black devices mostly sold-out and 32G White devices yet to make it to the stores.

So this left me with more questions than answers... they seem to be saying that they sold 10 million in a month, will sell 20 million over a quarter... that mart makes sense, pace slows down after the initial push... where are the other 60 million in the following six months coming from? Are they perhaps including Note 3's, S4 mini's, etc? Or do they think after the slow down, that the pace will accelerate back up to 10 million a month and hold there for six months? I just don't get how they got from 20 to 80 million. Does the 10 include pre-orders or only orders after pre-orders were fulfilled? To keep an accurate pace....

Also, what in the world does a buyback agreement in the contract have to do with anything? I get it matters for which company is footing the bill for extra units, but is there any concern about millions of these things sitting on shelves collecting dust? As long as we're assuming things about the transactions, I'm going to assume two things. 1. Samsung's contract with every retailer and carrier is not the same. The more powerful the carrier, the more in their favor the contract is. 2. Samsung, the carriers and retailers all have logistical inventory models that predict demand and adjust to actual results to try to foresee and barely stay ahead of demand. The goal on every side of this equation is to eliminate waste. I'm not entirely clear why we care so much about the profitability or revenue of these companies that 99% of us probably do not have any stake in.
    tohio likes this.
    06-02-2013 12:24 AM
    There is no one set agreement method on being credited for returns, or being given adjustments on past purchases. It depends on the channel, tier, payment terms and any consignment agreement. Case in point, Wal-Mart has far more favorable terms than a kiosk in a mall. Verizon (or any other carrier unless credit issues) does not even own most of their inventory, but are given incentives to help bleed or push inventory through their channels.

As far as Samsung, my friend who used to work with me is the regional sales rep (his wife was my son's math teacher) for Samsung. I kind of know what I am talking about, or at least delusional enough to think so.

Samsung though is no different from any other OEM as far as any of the noted parameters above. This does not even include point margin concessions for more prominent placement in stores that Samsung and others provide.
    06-02-2013 08:58 AM
    So this left me with more questions than answers... they seem to be saying that they sold 10 million in a month, will sell 20 million over a quarter... that mart makes sense, pace slows down after the initial push... where are the other 60 million in the following six months coming from? Are they perhaps including Note 3's, S4 mini's, etc? Or do they think after the slow down, that the pace will accelerate back up to 10 million a month and hold there for six months? I just don't get how they got from 20 to 80 million. Does the 10 include pre-orders or only orders after pre-orders were fulfilled? To keep an accurate pace....

Also, what in the world does a buyback agreement in the contract have to do with anything? I get it matters for which company is footing the bill for extra units, but is there any concern about millions of these things sitting on shelves collecting dust? As long as we're assuming things about the transactions, I'm going to assume two things. 1. Samsung's contract with every retailer and carrier is not the same. The more powerful the carrier, the more in their favor the contract is. 2. Samsung, the carriers and retailers all have logistical inventory models that predict demand and adjust to actual results to try to foresee and barely stay ahead of demand. The goal on every side of this equation is to eliminate waste. I'm not entirely clear why we care so much about the profitability or revenue of these companies that 99% of us probably do not have any stake in.
    The estimate of sales is made by a company that examined current sales and other factors. They of course could be way off. It would be interesting to see what their sales projections were for the S3.

I agree with you completely on your comments about the buy back.

I think a S4 owner who doesn't own stock in the company mightld care about these figures because as the world's best selling Android phone, accessories, services and support will be greater than for a second tier phone.
    06-02-2013 09:01 AM
    I couldn't find any sales predictions for the S3 by the company that made the 80 million prediction for the s4. But there were several other references to sales predictions for the S3 that would make one think that these market predictors are pretty reliable. Here's one example:

Samsung Struggling to Keep up with Galaxy S3 Orders - AndroidPIT
    06-02-2013 09:24 AM
33 12