How many S4s has Samsung sold?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If someone makes a statement as fact why can't they be asked to provide proof of that fact? This discussion is being conducted in a positive manner, no one is calling each other names or violating any of the rules of the forum that I'm aware of. If I am violating those rules please let me know here or in a PM. I certainly don't think we are bickering. Even if we are so what, is there a rule against bickering? I'm enjoying the debate and I assume the other side is as well or they wouldn't be responding. I'm perplexed about what goes on behind the scenes here.
Here is the first rule you should read, with special emphasis on the last sentence:
Moderators - Do not post complaints about Moderators. Mobile Nations has the highest regard for individuals who volunteer their time to be a moderator. Every day, our moderators read through hundreds of threads and posts, and all moderator decisions are final. We trust that any action that a moderator takes will follow the above rules and guidelines. Please send a PM to a Moderator if you have questions about any moderator action.

Any further off-topics posts will be deleted. Please take your questions to PM, thanks.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Please refer to this article and them let's discuss.

Leap Wireless facing $100 million worth of unsold iPhones as customers head elsewhere | The Verge

What is your motive for visiting three separate post about positive results about the S4 to argue about them.

There's not much there to discuss. Apple writes their contracts differently. They require an upfront purchase of iPhones as part of any contract. They're the only one that does it, and there's currently an investigation into how that affects competition.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
There's not much there to discuss. Apple writes their contracts differently. They require an upfront purchase of iPhones as part of any contract. They're the only one that does it, and there's currently an investigation into how that affects competition.

Well that's my point. I don't know and I assume you don't know if Samsung has contracts similar to Apple's. So it is entirely possible that the Samsung S4s at the retailers will never be returned to Samsung by the retailers. You would agree with that wouldn't you? Or let me put it another way, if Samsung has a contract with Best Buy like the one Apple had with Leap, Best Buy has to keep the phones they buy from Samsung, agreed?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well that's my point. I don't know and I assume you don't know if Samsung has contracts similar to Apple's. So it is entirely possible that the Samsung S4s at the retailers will never be returned to Samsung by the retailers. You would agree with that wouldn't you? Or let me put it another way, if Samsung has a contract with Best Buy like the one Apple had with Leap, Best Buy has to keep the phones they buy from Samsung, agreed?

Samsung doesn't. That's why apple's actions are being scrutinized, because no other manufacturer does it.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung doesn't. That's why apple's actions are being scrutinized, because no other manufacturer does it.

Honestly, you just pull things out of thin air. How do you know Samsung doesn't do contracts like Apple. I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that only Apple, of all the businesses in the world, is the only one that sells products on contract that does not require them to take unsold products back. It's obvious that you are relying on your own personal opinion rather than verifiable, independent information. So let's cut to the chase and forget all the personal opinion. Do you agree that it is a fact that if Samsung has a contract with Best Buy like Apple had with Leap, Samsung would not have to take any unsold phones back? Just a yes or no answer and we are done.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
OK, I don't want to get in the middle of this but one thing is VERY obvious to me, how in the world can you say "Samsung doesn't"!? You have no idea! None of us do! PERIOD!

Cheers!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, you just pull things out of thin air. How do you know Samsung doesn't do contracts like Apple. I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that only Apple, of all the businesses in the world, is the only one that sells products on contract that does not require them to take unsold products back. It's obvious that you are relying on your own personal opinion rather than verifiable, independent information. So let's cut to the chase and forget all the personal opinion. Do you agree that it is a fact that if Samsung has a contract with Best Buy like Apple had with Leap, Samsung would not have to take any unsold phones back? Just a yes or no answer and we are done.

We know for a fact Samsung does not have a contract like apple does. That's the reason why apple is being investigated for their contract stipulations. So...your hypothetical situation isn't even worth responding to, because we know that isn't the case.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Did we all miss that post up there asking for the bickering to stop? Cause I'm pretty sure its there...

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, I don't want to get in the middle of this but one thing is VERY obvious to me, how in the world can you say "Samsung doesn't"!? You have no idea! None of us do! PERIOD!

Cheers!

Because apple is being investigated by the EU for their contract practices precisely because competitors like Samsung do not have similar contracts in place.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There has been a lot of discussion about Samsung shipping phones rather than selling them. Well of course for a cell phone manufacturer shipping is the same as selling. But here is some information on how the S4 is doing in regards to sales to the customer.

?Galaxy S-4 demand in the first month of availability has been incrementally better than our estimate of 10M units,? Sue wrote in a note to clients on Thursday. ?In comparison, the S-III took nearly 2 months (50 days) to achieve the 10M units mark. Our broad-based channel checks at U.S. stores indicate that demand for the 16G S-4 devices remains strong with 32G Black devices mostly sold-out and 32G White devices yet to make it to the stores.?

So this left me with more questions than answers... they seem to be saying that they sold 10 million in a month, will sell 20 million over a quarter... that mart makes sense, pace slows down after the initial push... where are the other 60 million in the following six months coming from? Are they perhaps including Note 3's, S4 mini's, etc? Or do they think after the slow down, that the pace will accelerate back up to 10 million a month and hold there for six months? I just don't get how they got from 20 to 80 million. Does the 10 include pre-orders or only orders after pre-orders were fulfilled? To keep an accurate pace....

Also, what in the world does a buyback agreement in the contract have to do with anything? I get it matters for which company is footing the bill for extra units, but is there any concern about millions of these things sitting on shelves collecting dust? As long as we're assuming things about the transactions, I'm going to assume two things. 1. Samsung's contract with every retailer and carrier is not the same. The more powerful the carrier, the more in their favor the contract is. 2. Samsung, the carriers and retailers all have logistical inventory models that predict demand and adjust to actual results to try to foresee and barely stay ahead of demand. The goal on every side of this equation is to eliminate waste. I'm not entirely clear why we care so much about the profitability or revenue of these companies that 99% of us probably do not have any stake in.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There is no one set agreement method on being credited for returns, or being given adjustments on past purchases. It depends on the channel, tier, payment terms and any consignment agreement. Case in point, Wal-Mart has far more favorable terms than a kiosk in a mall. Verizon (or any other carrier unless credit issues) does not even own most of their inventory, but are given incentives to help bleed or push inventory through their channels.

As far as Samsung, my friend who used to work with me is the regional sales rep (his wife was my son's math teacher) for Samsung. I kind of know what I am talking about, or at least delusional enough to think so.

Samsung though is no different from any other OEM as far as any of the noted parameters above. This does not even include point margin concessions for more prominent placement in stores that Samsung and others provide.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So this left me with more questions than answers... they seem to be saying that they sold 10 million in a month, will sell 20 million over a quarter... that mart makes sense, pace slows down after the initial push... where are the other 60 million in the following six months coming from? Are they perhaps including Note 3's, S4 mini's, etc? Or do they think after the slow down, that the pace will accelerate back up to 10 million a month and hold there for six months? I just don't get how they got from 20 to 80 million. Does the 10 include pre-orders or only orders after pre-orders were fulfilled? To keep an accurate pace....

Also, what in the world does a buyback agreement in the contract have to do with anything? I get it matters for which company is footing the bill for extra units, but is there any concern about millions of these things sitting on shelves collecting dust? As long as we're assuming things about the transactions, I'm going to assume two things. 1. Samsung's contract with every retailer and carrier is not the same. The more powerful the carrier, the more in their favor the contract is. 2. Samsung, the carriers and retailers all have logistical inventory models that predict demand and adjust to actual results to try to foresee and barely stay ahead of demand. The goal on every side of this equation is to eliminate waste. I'm not entirely clear why we care so much about the profitability or revenue of these companies that 99% of us probably do not have any stake in.

The estimate of sales is made by a company that examined current sales and other factors. They of course could be way off. It would be interesting to see what their sales projections were for the S3.

I agree with you completely on your comments about the buy back.

I think a S4 owner who doesn't own stock in the company mightld care about these figures because as the world's best selling Android phone, accessories, services and support will be greater than for a second tier phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo