Few questions from a former iPhone user

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone - I recently just switched from using an iPhone 4s for a few years and I have to say that I'm loving everything about the Samsung Galaxy S4. First few days was a bit of an adjustment but now that I'm learning it a bit better it's fantastic!!

Just a few questions/concerns:

1. When I'm on a call I notice that the volume will sometimes lower on its own. Is that normal? If not, is there a way to stop this from happening?

2. A couple of the camera features such as panorama, sport, best face, eraser, animated and rich tone/HDR were not an option on the phone at first, however, when I reached out to Verizon they instructed me to hold down the shutter button for two seconds and the features automatically appeared. Later in the day I noticed they were gone again so I tried the same thing by holding the shutter button down for two seconds and they reappeared again. Does that sound normal?

3. Is there a way to stop applications that I'm not using from running in the background all at once?

4. Should I have anti-virus software on the phone such as AVG?

Again, just a newbie to Android from iPhone and I'm loving it so far!! Just wondering on the above. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
1 and 2 sound weird to me. There could be some logical explanation but I don't know what it might be.

3. There are task killing apps you can get but in general they're useless. Unless you have a rogue app that's staying alive and either draining your battery or using you data (which is rare) you won't need to do this. 90% of the apps will just open up themselves again. It does this to speed up opening and operation of your most commonly used apps. You can go into the application manager and disable apps you don't ever use. Many people disable a lot of Samsung and carrier pre-installed apps this way.

4. I find it's unnecessary. If you get stuff that has a lot of downloads and a good rating in the Play store you'll be safe. The worst you might see are ad programs that send periodic notifications, but uninstalling the apps that initiated those will get rid of them.

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello all - I'm hoping to get more responses particulary on issue #2.

I do hit the mode button to access the camera features. They were there yesterday again, however, this morning when I hit the mode button those specific ones (panorama, sport, best face, eraser, animated and rich tone/HDR) are not there. The other options are there. Those specific ones are the ones that keep disappearing. This is so bizarre to me. I know that I can get them back if I hold the shutter button down for two seconds but they keep disappearing.

I don't know where to start as far as getting this issue repaired? I know that it's not the worst thing that can happen but this concerns me that I may have a phone that may be defective and may need to be replaced because of possible upcoming issues. If this weird type of thing is happening already. Just concerned.

Any tips?

Thanks again!

Jonez8

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone on power saving mode when you try to access those other camera options?

Posted via Android Central App

jhlrbt

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
2. A couple of the camera features such as panorama, sport, best face, eraser, animated and rich tone/HDR were not an option on the phone at first, however, when I reached out to Verizon they instructed me to hold down the shutter button for two seconds and the features automatically appeared. Later in the day I noticed they were gone again so I tried the same thing by holding the shutter button down for two seconds and they reappeared again. Does that sound normal?
Good afternoon,please follow this link:Time to answer 123 questions about the Galaxy S4 | SamMobile. I think that this may answer some of camera mode issues your having with your camera. Good luck

Last edited:

Kha_liD

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this useful post Jessica.
I'm newbie android from iPhone, too. We appreciate your help in this thread guys.
1- I got this issue of WhatsApp that I've never experienced with iPhone. All of the received images are automatically saved to the gallery folder. I tried to disable that but I didn't know how.
2- Is there a site that helps us find the best android apps that match the ones of iPhone? How can we get to know the equivalent apps of iPhone?

Last edited:

Olivia23

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed yesterday when I was on the phone that at times I could hardly hear the person I was talking to them all of a sudden it would get loud. I was in a good area for signal. Don't know what caused it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this useful post Jessica.
I'm newbie android from iPhone, too. We appreciate your help in this thread guys.
1- I got this issue of WhatsApp that I've never experience with iPhone. All of the received images are automatically saved to the gallery folder. I tried to disable that but I didn't know how.
2- Is there a site that helps us find the best android apps that match the ones of iPhone? How can we get to know the equivalent apps of iPhone?

This is an specific app issue, WhatsApp has never approach those difference between the iPhone App and the Android App, on iPhone, there is an option to save or not the media, on the Android version it does it without option, also, on the iPhone version you can turn the privacy on, that;s not available on Android, I think it's time enough for Whatsapp developers to make the same features on both platforms, I have complained already, all of you should do the same.

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed yesterday when I was on the phone that at times I could hardly hear the person I was talking to them all of a sudden it would get loud. I was in a good area for signal. Don't know what caused it.

Hi Olivia - This is the exact same issue. Hopefully by bumping this up we'll get a few more responses on what the issue could be. I'm sure an easy fix! :) can any of you offer insight on this?

Thanks so much!

Kha_liD

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
thanks Erasat. You are right. Everybody should complain. I've just done that.
This is an specific app issue, WhatsApp has never approach those difference between the iPhone App and the Android App, on iPhone, there is an option to save or not the media, on the Android version it does it without option, also, on the iPhone version you can turn the privacy on, that;s not available on Android, I think it's time enough for Whatsapp developers to make the same features on both platforms, I have complained already, all of you should do the same.