06-19-2013 11:02 AM
190 ... 45678
tools
    Welcome to marketing 101. In case you hadn't noticed, that book was a marketing vehicle for apple. There is also the fact that apple DOES innovate, and has an extensive history of doing so. I mean, for gods sake, computers as we know them would not exist were it not for them. That's where that attitude comes from.
    Wait. Before you were saying that Apple doesn't make those claims, now you're chalking it up to marketing. I understand the marketing side, and I see the value of it. I was just pointing out that your claim that you made earlier is very much untrue.
    06-11-2013 02:26 PM
    That is a pretty tall claim, unless you mean it in the same way as say "Cars as we know them would not exist if it were not for Ford" Ford did innovate to a remarkable degree, but it isn't like we wouldn't have gotten to a very similar place without them. .

I mean that is probably true to some extent, kind of a butterfly effect that changes everything in subtle way, but the essence of the thing would be quite similar I think.
    Given the history of how the PC came about, it's an accurate statement. The GUI Xerox was sitting on would have languished in their labs, because they didn't think it meant anything. Without that critical step of apple buying it from them, the PC wouldn't be the same.
    06-11-2013 02:27 PM
    Yes really. On the iPhone I could look away, type what I wanted, and the phone would correct it to what I actually wanted to say. On another phone it came out as gobbildy-gook. Most people curse it because its set to correct profanity and similar words as a default. The more you use it, though, it learns your style and will stop doing it.
    What is your experience with swype and swiftkey? I find swype to be pretty effective at auto correct and swift key pretty phenomenal at predictive text.
    06-11-2013 02:27 PM
    Wait. Before you were saying that Apple doesn't make those claims, now you're chalking it up to marketing. I understand the marketing side, and I see the value of it. I was just pointing out that your claim that you made earlier is very much untrue.
    Apple doesn't. Jobs and Ive do. There's a difference there.
    06-11-2013 02:29 PM
    What is your experience with swype and swiftkey? I find swype to be pretty effective at auto correct and swift key pretty phenomenal at predictive text.
    I hate Swype.

Swift key is okay, but it seems to take a while to learn and adjust to your typing style. I like some of swift keys sliding gestures though.
    06-11-2013 02:30 PM
    Apple doesn't. Jobs and Ive do. There's a difference there.
    No.....Ive is a HUGE part of Apple and so is Jobs' mentality. I have seen Apple commercials so I can't quite buy what you're selling here.
    06-11-2013 02:33 PM
    Given the history of how the PC came about, it's an accurate statement. The GUI Xerox was sitting on would have languished in their labs, because they didn't think it meant anything. Without that critical step of apple buying it from them, the PC wouldn't be the same.
    Yeah, I don't buy that it would have languished there forever and/or never surfaced anywhere else.

Wikipedia - In 1981, Xerox Corporation introduced the Xerox Star workstation, officially known as the "8010 Star Information System". Drawing upon its predecessor, the Xerox Alto, it was the first commercial system to incorporate various technologies that today have become commonplace in personal computers, including a bit-mapped display, a windows-based graphical user interface, icons, folders, mouse, Ethernet networking, file servers, print servers and e-mail. It also included a programming language system called Smalltalk.

So, here was a system that "someone" knew was worth something, or they wouldn't have developed it. It just happens that Apple was the group that fell upon it at an opportune time. If they hadn't, someone else would have soon enough.

Inventions/developments etc. come about and become popularized because they are of the time. Examples such as inventions of automobiles, telephones and many other things that come forth in more than one place at similar times.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    06-11-2013 02:39 PM
    Ok, I have been really thinking and at one point decided to get the S4. I currently have the iPhone 4S, but I want something with more customisation, more options, battery battery life. However I also want a phone that is reliable and will not keep breaking down on me over the next 2 years, I don't mind a little lag hear and there, just so long as it doesn't force close my apps all the while.
    I went from a 4s also. My apps have not once closed on me on the s4, and I just downloaded a clock widget that let's you completely customise the look of your clock (I'm a big lover of clock widgets) and it just made the look and feel of my phone so much better and suited for me, I couldn't go back to iPhone because I love the amount of customisability, it's amazing. Its been incredibly reliable and the battery life lasts me about two days now. The lag is around a second, I'm just nit picking lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails WWDC 2013?-1370979875285.jpg  
    Aquila and Kedar like this.
    06-11-2013 02:50 PM
    I hate Swype.

Swift key is okay, but it seems to take a while to learn and adjust to your typing style. I like some of swift keys sliding gestures though.
    Why do you hate swype, and regardless of your hatred, how do you find the autocorrect in comparison to iOS? Do you hate it becuase the auto correct isn't up to speed, or do you not know if the auto correct compares becuase you don't use it becuase you hate it?
    06-11-2013 02:58 PM
    I went from a 4s also. My apps have not once closed on me on the s4, and I just downloaded a clock widget that let's you completely customise the look of your clock (I'm a big lover of clock widgets) and it just made the look and feel of my phone so much better and suited for me, I couldn't go back to iPhone because I love the amount of customisability, it's amazing. Its been incredibly reliable and the battery life lasts me about two days now. The lag is around a second, I'm just nit picking lol.

That looks nice :-) much more customisable than my current 4S, I would use widgets, background wallpaper maybe a live wallpaper and what ever else is customisable really. I hear that you can change the launcher and install something different from TouchWiz. This is making me me excited to get the S4.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-11-2013 03:14 PM
    No.....Ive is a HUGE part of Apple and so is Jobs' mentality. I have seen Apple commercials so I can't quite buy what you're selling here.
    Oh you've see commercials? So you must be an authority on all things apple then, what with the 60 second bites of marketing that make you an expert?
    06-11-2013 03:23 PM
    Why do you hate swype, and regardless of your hatred, how do you find the autocorrect in comparison to iOS? Do you hate it becuase the auto correct isn't up to speed, or do you not know if the auto correct compares becuase you don't use it becuase you hate it?
    Swype is not a natural or intuitive way to enter text. The autocorrect on Swype isn't very good, but I dislike it because of what I said in the first sentence.
    06-11-2013 03:26 PM
    Oh you've see commercials? So you must be an authority on all things apple then, what with the 60 second bites of marketing that make you an expert?
    I never claimed to be an expert at anything. I just said that i've seen too many of their commercials to buy your bunk that they don't think they're innovative. You tried to shift the conversation from whether or not they're innovative, to their marketing tactics. I never claimed to have a handle on marketing, and I never welcomed anyone to "Marketing 101".

Sorry, i'm just not going with your story. They think they're innovative and revolutionary, and they want you to think the same thing. Problem is, they haven't ever been very revolutionary, they've just bought other company's innovations and made slight changes. (some for the better -xerox gui-, some for the worse -siri-)

Edit: I actually will give them credit for what they did with the music industry. iTunes and iPod was revolutionary.
    ncvikingx97 likes this.
    06-11-2013 03:35 PM
    Ehhh their autocorrect algorithms are still better than anything else out there.
    It is actually not. Swiftkey has a better autocorrect than the iPhone keyboard. Sometimes the iPhone keyboard doesn't even autocorrect some words.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-11-2013 03:43 PM
    Swype is not a natural or intuitive way to enter text. The autocorrect on Swype isn't very good, but I dislike it because of what I said in the first sentence.
    Swype is not natural or intuitive to you, perhaps. I don't think you can say that as a general rule. There is nothing inherently natural or intuitive about peck typing either. It is just what most are accustomed to. I don't know that you have any support for saying the auto correct isn't very good. I can't say in comparison to iOS as I haven't used iOS extensively for many years. I see others disagree though, so I can't say it is definitive either way.
    06-11-2013 04:12 PM
    That looks nice :-) much more customisable than my current 4S, I would use widgets, background wallpaper maybe a live wallpaper and what ever else is customisable really. I hear that you can change the launcher and install something different from TouchWiz. This is making me me excited to get the S4.
    Yes, I have the Apex Pro launcher with go locker. Plus countless wallpaper apps. Its definitely a lot of fun especially coming from an iPhone lol.. And with the hd screen it's just even better

06-11-2013 04:17 PM
    It is actually not. Swiftkey has a better autocorrect than the iPhone keyboard. Sometimes the iPhone keyboard doesn't even autocorrect some words.

Posted via Android Central App
    It actually is. See, the way the iPhone works is that if you dismiss a correction while typing, it saves that you have chosen the incorrect spelling and will not correct it in the future. If the iPhone isn't correcting a word, its because the user added it or chose not to correct it.

Swiftkey takes quite a while to learn your typing habits and to correct them.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    06-11-2013 04:35 PM
    Swype is not natural or intuitive to you, perhaps. I don't think you can say that as a general rule. There is nothing inherently natural or intuitive about peck typing either. It is just what most are accustomed to. I don't know that you have any support for saying the auto correct isn't very good. I can't say in comparison to iOS as I haven't used iOS extensively for many years. I see others disagree though, so I can't say it is definitive either way.
    Not just to me. Swiping is a counterintuitive way to type. It goes against the way every one of us has been conditioned to type.

Also, I was saying that the autocorrect isn't very good in comparison to iOS, which is what you had asked me about. The autocorrect on swype definitely lags behind traditional keyboards.

06-11-2013 04:39 PM
    Not just to me. Swiping is a counterintuitive way to type. It goes against the way every one of us has been conditioned to type.

Also, I was saying that the autocorrect isn't very good in comparison to iOS, which is what you had asked me about. The autocorrect on swype definitely lags behind traditional keyboards.

There is a difference between saying counter intuitive and counter conditioned. I felt it was immediately intuitive, and based on it's popularity and despite apple not having it, I think a lot of people must agree.

Therefore, when I say not natural or intuitive to you, I feel that is correct.

Again, I can't speak to iOS auto-correct, but based on your responses, I don't put a lot of weight on your opinion in this matter.
    06-11-2013 04:59 PM
    There is a difference between saying counter intuitive and counter conditioned. I felt it was immediately intuitive, and based on it's popularity and despite apple not having it, I think a lot of people must agree.

Therefore, when I say not natural or intuitive to you, I feel that is correct.

Again, I can't speak to iOS auto-correct, but based on your responses, I don't put a lot of weight on your opinion in this matter.
    No need to be a jerk. iOS autocorrect is better than swypes. I can say that having used both of them.
    06-11-2013 05:15 PM
    I've seen Apple commercials and I think I'm an expert. What I see is a bunch of kids wearing skinny jeans that seem to have to much time on their hands and instead of getting a life, they play with their iphone. I've also seen the Siri commercials that trend toward our seniors that can barely use a calculator let alone a smartphone.

Besides, what is there not to know about the Iphone? You turn it on and BAM...your greeted with icons. Rows and rows of them and that's pretty much it. Bluetooth on/off and yada yada...ok. But in all honesty, my 3 1/2 year old could be an "authority" on all things apple...and he doesn't wear skinny jeans.

And by the way, the new iOS 7 is a conglomeration of copied tid bits from everyone else's OS's....and the new color scheme looks as if someone eating skittles threw up on it.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just stating how I see it.
    06-11-2013 05:25 PM
    What I see is a bunch of kids wearing skinny jeans that seem to have to much time on their hands
    I thought you were talking about Abercrombie and Fitch.
    06-11-2013 05:31 PM
    No need to be a jerk. iOS autocorrect is better than swypes. I can say that having used both of them.
    And by seeing all the screwed up auto corrections on damnyouautocorrect.com by apple users.....iOS's autocorrect is REVOLUTIONARY!!!!
    06-11-2013 05:32 PM
    And by seeing all the screwed up auto corrections on damnyouautocorrect.com by apple users.....iOS's autocorrect is REVOLUTIONARY!!!!
    Again, the way autocorrect works is that if you save an incorrect word it will correct it to that incorrect spelling. Similarly, if you choose NOT to choose the word you'd like, it will not correct it.

06-11-2013 05:35 PM
    Again, the way autocorrect works is that if you save an incorrect word it will correct it to that incorrect spelling. Similarly, if you choose NOT to choose the word you'd like, it will not correct it.

I need to get this straight. Are you implying that Apple users accidentally save incorrect words with incorrect spelling???? And to think that this wasn't possible! SJ must be rolling in his grave.
    06-11-2013 05:48 PM
190 ... 45678