S4's latest update [ Status bar = ANNOYING!]

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I've just this minute updated my phone to the latest version of touchwizz (sitting on Android 4.2.2) and It's changed the status bar! I've never been so annoyed in my life, ahah! It's made the status bar transparent so my lovely fishies now block any (and all) icons that would be showing! Does anyone know of a way to change it back to the old version using a tweak or such? I've pretty much recently came from iPhone because of how apple trashed iOS' UI and android was ticking all the right boxes for me at the time. Small things like this really do annoy me, lol.

screenprint below to show you the most annoying thing since flavourless pot noodles!

1o4s1v.jpg

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I love a transparent notification bar - gives it so much more of a cleaner, minimalistic look. Plus, less worry about burn in from the black notification bar always being in the same spot.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I do too have a transparent notification bar and love it. But I have it because of Nova, didn't know touchwiz could do this :eek:

GS4 Love

Necrodox

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting, where could I download the update? Do I need to wait for the device to detect the update or can I download it through a 3rd party? I have a Verizon S4 by the way.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting, where could I download the update? Do I need to wait for the device to detect the update or can I download it through a 3rd party? I have a Verizon S4 by the way.

It popped up on my phone telling me about the update. Check your settings and check for an update if you haven't got it automatically searching:)

I've JUST downloaded Nova launcher. As a iPhone user since 2007 I've just hit a new level of love for Android.. I've rebuilt my phone around nova and was also able to bring back the black UI bar:) only reason I want it is because with my moving wallpaper it's sometimes a struggle to read what's up there.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It popped up on my phone telling me about the update. Check your settings and check for an update if you haven't got it automatically searching:)

I've JUST downloaded Nova launcher. As a iPhone user since 2007 I've just hit a new level of love for Android.. I've rebuilt my phone around nova and was also able to bring back the black UI bar:) only reason I want it is because with my moving wallpaper it's sometimes a struggle to read what's up there.

Yep Nova is awesome, you can also remove the feature that makes your wallpaper move, I did because it was driving me crazy seeing the black edges.

GS4 Love

ChuckTreo

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Dash Clock widget.

Wow, I've been looking for just this thing, a transparent clock / weather / city Widget. DashClock is very, very nice. Thanks for the tip, I know these things are obvious to some but others like myself need the assistance of professionals. Thanks! DashClock Widget is in The PlayStore and is free and customizable, go get it and let your wallpaper shine through. Thanks again. :cool:https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...et.nurik.roman.dashclock&hl=en&token=TInDEkTf

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've just this minute updated my phone to the latest version of touchwizz (sitting on Android 4.2.2) and It's changed the status bar! I've never been so annoyed in my life, ahah! It's made the status bar transparent so my lovely fishies now block any (and all) icons that would be showing! Does anyone know of a way to change it back to the old version using a tweak or such? I've pretty much recently came from iPhone because of how apple trashed iOS' UI and android was ticking all the right boxes for me at the time. Small things like this really do annoy me, lol.

screenprint below to show you the most annoying thing since flavourless pot noodles!

Guys: The OP doesn't like the transparent status bar. I don't either.

To the OP: The only thing I know of is flashing a custom ROM. You can also try going into Settings>Display and see if there is an option there. Downloading Nova will not really fix the issue. Nova uses the prefixed ROM layout for the bar.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Guys: The OP doesn't like the transparent status bar. I don't either.

To the OP: The only thing I know of is flashing a custom ROM. You can also try going into Settings>Display and see if there is an option there. Downloading Nova will not really fix the issue. Nova uses the prefixed ROM layout for the bar.

Actually. I hated the transparent bar purely because of specific brighter wallpapers would kill any chance of reading what it said. So I flicker from transparent to black using the nova launcher (that I mentioned earlier, just recently discovered it!). I've now got a new wallpaper that's dark and fits my nerdiness well! Decided to pop on transparent. Only problem is my lockscreen will still be transparent no matter what I do which is a shame when I use my fishies. Here's my current setup because I'm proud of it:)

Tweaks are:-
GyroSpace3D
DashClock
Nova Launcher
Icon on the status bar is Advanced MobileCare (giving it a little test!)

5zct3.png

Coffeeman

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Widget lock screen is made by the same people that make Nova Launcher. You can customize the lock screen, and add apps/widgets to the lock screen as well. Easy to customize.

Paobreezy

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

http://i41.tinypic.com/1o4s1v.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I think mine just uodated automatically today but how do I change the notification bar to transparent?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
To the OP, have you looked in settings to see if there's a control for this? You might be able to set it back to black, if that's what you prefer.

jacobiss

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Odd, usually people really like the transparent UI. It's really clean, and I think that UIs are going to stay like this for a long time.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Yah i'd love to know what carrier this was on. The only way i can get a transparent status bar is by using stock wallpapers. Anything else and i get a nice big black status bar which i hate, so i've been using stock wallpapers for awhile now.

Also OP sorry but i don't think there's anyway to get it back. Like i said for me using any non stock wallpaper gives me the black status bar. I'm on AT&T btw.

SERBDVB

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
i love transparent status bar for my wallpapers i'm using nova prime , but is it possible to have transparent status bar on my lockscreen using nova prime or any other app
Thx