How do I get stock sms app to display no. of unread messages?

vicki74

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to android and just finding my feet, having been an avid iphone user for years!
I'm using the stock sms app but am surprised to see it desn't have a 1,3,4 etc by the envelope to show the number of unread messages. Is there a way to enable this?

I've also downloaded Glowfly to enable the opo ups to a new sms. This will appear on the home screen but not on the lock screen, is there a way of doing this? I've got the lock screen pin protected but have tried taking this this off and no joy.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to android and just finding my feet, having been an avid iphone user for years!
I'm using the stock sms app but am surprised to see it desn't have a 1,3,4 etc by the envelope to show the number of unread messages. Is there a way to enable this?

I've also downloaded Glowfly to enable the opo ups to a new sms. This will appear on the home screen but not on the lock screen, is there a way of doing this? I've got the lock screen pin protected but have tried taking this this off and no joy.

This is part of learning Android. Personally, I like using a different Launcher to get the counts for my SMS, Gmail or missed calls... AND lock screens are something totally different. I have not used it, but you might want to check out: Play store: DashClock

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Use Nova Launcher...it has the option to do this...this is something I needed as well

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I use nova launcher as well. Although it should have been built in. Doesn't make any sense why it's not.

Sent from my SCH-I545

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree it doesn't make sense that Nova launcher does not control the lock screen, but the lock screen is controlled by the ROM not the launcher.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

This is simply a feature that Android has never had. A lot of iOS converts seem to miss it, but it really is a feature unique to Apple (Samsung probably feared they'd be sued again if they added it to touchwiz!). Blackberry had the red asterisks thingy that indicated new messages, but even that wasn't the same.

As a few have mentioned, there are 3rd party launchers that support this, you can try those out. Oddly enough, I did test out the unread indicators on icons before, and really didn't care for it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa