Delete Email Account from Gmail app

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
won't this delete the gmail account? That's what I'm worried about. It might delete the whole thing. I only intend to have it removed from the gmail app on my phone.

You can't delete it from the gmail app and keep the account on your phone. Just turn off sync so you don't get email notifications for that account.

Sent from my Nexus 6 on a Dirty Unicorn

sovereignty

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
One additional thing I didn't see mentioned (and as far as I know is the best that can be done for keeping account data out of apps you don't want to have it; other than entirely deleting an account from the device) is this:

(This is specifically for Gmail but works in other Google Apps to an extent as well)

- Add all desired accounts to your device (Android stupidly will start syncing everything right away without giving you a chance to pick what you want from that account)
- Go to settings - accounts - google - name of account you want to remove from gmail
- Scroll to Gmail and deselect it from syncing
- Go to settings - Apps - All Apps - scroll to Gmail
- Click Clear Data (No this will not delete anything from the google servers. THIS ONLY REMOVES DATA FROM THE DEVICE)

Stopping the syncing alone still leaves the data it had already downloaded inside your Gmail app. Clearing Data resets the Gmail app and when you open it back up it'll start over setting itself up with the accounts you have on your device but this time it'll only download the data for the account you still have sync turned on for. You'll still see the account listed but clicking on it will only give a message that sync is not turned on for this account. You won't see any emails for that account. You'll no longer receive notifications for emails from this account either.

Berrica0

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Kerri Tegan

Well, I've tried all of your suggestions, which I really appreciate. I went to the dark side years ago. But when my mother bought this, I figured I'd remember my Windows stuff with no problem and I do have a gmail account. Her keyboard is VERY sensitive, and I didn't notice her email address was ridiculous until it was too late. So I made a new one and am trying to delete the '2nd' superfluous one. In settings, there IS no IMAP, holding down your Google Account didn't work. I've unchecked everything in the 2nd account so it won't sync or anything and it will just sit there like a rusting car.
Sent from my iPad!

This is the problem I'm having, too. My brother needed to get to his email on my phone one night, so he just added his account. Now I can't remove it from my phone. I've tried going through the settings menu, and it takes me to the same screen as the gmail app account manager. I can and have turned off all the sync options, but I still kept getting annoying notifications that I needed to log back in, and now I have a notification that I can't get rid of that says there is "account action required." I can find no way, through the app itself or through my phone settings, to delete the account from my phone. Anyone have any other suggestions?

dylpickle

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
This is the problem I'm having, too. My brother needed to get to his email on my phone one night, so he just added his account. Now I can't remove it from my phone. I've tried going through the settings menu, and it takes me to the same screen as the gmail app account manager. I can and have turned off all the sync options, but I still kept getting annoying notifications that I needed to log back in, and now I have a notification that I can't get rid of that says there is "account action required." I can find no way, through the app itself or through my phone settings, to delete the account from my phone. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Try this. Go to settings - accounts - google - select the email you want to remove - then touch 3 dots in the top left corner - then touch remove account - and touch remove account again. Hope this works for you 😊

Scoutatlath

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

Hey,

I know EXACTLY what you are trying to say and none of the other responses work for the Note 3.... I went through hell myself trying to figure out how to delete a second linked gmail account and it was a ridiculous and very time consuming experience...

BUT I figured out the answer - and it's so simple (it makes you want to slap yourself on the head after you find out how, even though they shouldn't have multiple "settings/options" buttons on a device.)

Here are the steps to remove the unwanted account(s):

1. From the Home screen, tap the Apps icon (located in the lower right hand side of the screen.)
2. Tap Settings (NOT Google Settings).
3. Tap Google.
4. Tap the appropriate account that is to be removed.
5. Tap the Menu/Menu Options button icon (located on the bottom of the phone, UNDER the screen on the actual phone, that is to the left of the main Home button) then tap Remove account.
6. Tap Remove account to confirm.

That's it! Now you will finally be free of this irritating issue!

lizkolster

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much for this advice - worked right away and we were freed from our 70 minute trial and error, annoying, and fruitless experience with a poorly labeled function in the gmail app! Really appreciate your post!

If you have more than one gmail account then to remove one of them go to setting on your phone look for accounts & sync. In there you should all email accounts that are setup on that phone. Touch the one you want to remove and at the bottom you should see remove account.

MallowBaby

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Well, mine got really deleted however I was able to undelete it... Mine looked different then yall are describing though.
Here are some screen shots. What do you think I should do? I don't to delete the account, just remove it from my phone (a friend was using my phone so I don't want to invade privacy).

Screenshot_2017-09-04-09-41-00edited2.jpg

Screenshot_2017-09-04-09-57-56edited.jpg

Thank you!
:D

yodevilboost

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
To remove gmail account from gmail app go to play store then swipe from the left to bring the menu. Tap on the gear next to your account then tap on that account that you want to remove then tap in Upper right more and tap remove account

N_Hannah

May 27, 2018
Visit site
I've been facing the same problem as I've 3 email accounts signed into my gmail and wanted to remove only one n was able to find a way to do so.(I'm using Samsung S7)

First, you have to remove the email from your phone. This could be achieved by going to "Settings>Cloud&Accounts>Accounts>Google" then select the email you want to remove by clicking it and selecting "remove account" by pressing the 3 dots at the top right.
This will remove the email from your phone but you can still see it in your gmail app.

To remove it from the gmail app, you'll have to go to "Apps>Gmail" then click the 3 dots at the top right and "uninstall updates" and it'll be changed to factory version. Then go to the gmail app and you'll be able to log in again with the emails you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699