Apple to Samsung - IOS to Android

I moved over to Android!

• Total voters

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Just wanting to get a good idea of how many have poeple migrated from IOS to Android. If you feel like it, please vote in the poll. Let me know if you want another category added.

If you moved over, which iPhone did you come from?

What do you miss about IOS? (I know sending large images or videos can be a problem)

What was you biggest reason for the move?

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well?

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? (I can only get 1/2 day with my iPhone 4S anymore)

Sorry for all the questions! I'm thinking about at migrating over. I have an HP Touchpad from the fire sale. I have the latest CM and I have been fairly happy with it. But, there are things I can't test, like phone calls, native texting, etc. If I buy an S4(most likely an Active), I don't want to mess with custom ROMs. I used to do that back in my Windows Mobile days. I will be sticking with what comes on it, but will tweak the launcher. My phone working at all times is very important. I have leveraged the Apple Store well, same day swap if I have a hardware problem. My local ATT store is a corporate one, so they said they can do the same with the S4.

Also, what are you guys doing for insurance? I've become familiar with Apple Care, but notice there isn't a similar package from Samsung. I would have to rely on the Carrier, which is fine, just cost $120 a year. Anyone using Square Trade?

Overall, if you moved over, are you having a positive experience? Don't worry, I'm not some crazed Apple fan boy. I just go with what works well, I'm vendor agnostic.

Thanks! :cool:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Just wanting to get a good idea of how many have poeple migrated from IOS to Android. If you feel like it, please vote in the poll. Let me know if you want another category added.

iPhone 5

What do you miss about IOS? (I know sending large images or videos can be a problem)
iMessage to all my devices in my household, the seamless integration of iCloud and Photostream.

I have bad vision and was tired of the small screen plus I was curious about Android 4.0

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well?
Exchange experience is going to be better on the iPhone, only way to get something comparable is to buy a 3rd party app(Touchdown).

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? (I can only get 1/2 day with my iPhone 4S anymore)
I dont know because I am chronic charger abuser. Only thing is with the removable battery I am not worried about it anymore.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm thinking about at migrating over. I have an HP Touchpad from the fire sale. I have the latest CM and I have been fairly happy with it. But, there are things I can't test, like phone calls, native texting, etc. If I buy an S4(most likely an Active), I don't want to mess with custom ROMs. I used to do that back in my Windows Mobile days. I will be sticking with what comes on it, but will tweak the launcher. My phone working at all times is very important. I have leveraged the Apple Store well, same day swap if I have a hardware problem. My local ATT store is a corporate one, so they said they can do the same with the S4.

Also, what are you guys doing for insurance? I've become familiar with Apple Care, but notice there isn't a similar package from Samsung. I would have to rely on the Carrier, which is fine, just cost $120 a year. Anyone using Square Trade?

Squaretrade is a really good service but I dont buy insurance for my phones anymore. That is because we use Otterbox defender and don't mind the bulkiness. Right now when it comes to customer service, Apple provides a better experience.

Overall, if you moved over, are you having a positive experience? Don't worry, I'm not some crazed Apple fan boy. I just go with what works well, I'm vendor agnostic.

My experience is 90 percent positive with the S4, I miss iMessage a lot and I miss the seamlessness of syncing with the iPhone. I hate the carrier bloat that is forced on the phone more than anything.

Answers in bold.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I am curious as to what about the exchange support on IOS you found superior. Exchange on my iPAD has certainly been no better than my S 4.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site

1. Came from iPhone 4S
2. I miss iMessage and the ability to send large photos and videos. Just like you said
3. iOS became boring and in my opinion behind the times. Android gave me everything I wanted in a phone and operating system (minus iMessage, but once hangouts is integrated into sms I will be totally happy!)
4. I use my S4 for business, and am pleased with the syncing. Although my Gmail does not always push emails which can be frustrating.
5. From 5:30am when my day starts, the battery lasts until about 10pm on one charge with heavy usage and no wifi, and screen turned up almost all the way

I have no insurance for the phone but I'm good with it and don't usually damage them.

I love the phone and am so happy I switched

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

SamBev

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Recently switched and couldn't be happier.

1. iPhone 4
2. Being able to plug into the USB on my Honda Civic and play music, works ok on Bluetooth but just a bit slower for song changes, less music info displayed, etc.
3. Customization and pure geek factor of the S4, lots of goodies on the phone.
4. I use my S4 for work, don't really get into the social networking thing. I sync with corporate exchanges, calendar, contacts, etc. and never had an issue.
5. Love that battery life. I use the phone all day, usually no WiFi but BT is always on, read books on it during lunch, and then read after work for a couple hours and still have 50% battery left when I connect to charge.

I'd have to say that my experience is mostly positive, with a slight disappointment with the S4's durability factor. Wish I had purchased insurance when I got the phone. I had my iPhone 4 from the day of release until the switch and dropped it more times than I can remember with only a skin type case on it. Never a crack or an issue. Three weeks after getting the S4 I was at the airport reading messages, went to put the phone in my shirt pocket while distracted (damn you pretty lady for grabbing my attention) and dropped the phone. Screen cracked and stopped working, that evening I found myself $450 poorer as I visited the AT&T store after my meeting to get a new one (thanks for the partial upgrade to one of my lines that saved me 200 bucks). Just slapped an OtterBox on my phone this morning and I'm hoping I'll never have this problem again. Plus I intend to get a SquareTrade protection plan.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I am curious as to what about the exchange support on IOS you found superior. Exchange on my iPAD has certainly been no better than my S 4.

Depends on what version of Exchange and the features you are trying to use.
Older versions of Exchange give Android phone fits in connecting and setup.
Calendar features including meeting invites seem to cause problems on Android especially shared Calendars.
If the certificate is self generated that also seems to give Android problems.

dava

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
If you moved over, which iPhone did you come from? - switched from iphone 5

What do you miss about IOS? - Don't seem to miss much if anything

What was you biggest reason for the move? - iphone 5 changed the charging port means most my things didn't work with it including my in car head-unit, sync to itunes was getting on my nerves having only one charging lead having to switch between charger and sync lead, other leads would work for a month then come up as device not supported when i needed it to do was charge, itunes in general P**sed me off having to allways organise newly added music etc

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well? not really sure ubout calendar synce etc as dont use it as business phone

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? (I can only get 1/2 day with my iPhone 4S anymore) - battery so far is much better than my 5, coming home from work after mixed usage with over 50% where as my 5 would be down to 20% by 2pm with around the same usage, and replaceable battery so when i dose start to go just buy new one

Also, what are you guys doing for insurance? no insurance on the phone

Overall, if you moved over, are you having a positive experience? very positive, i have now had my s4 for 2 weeks and after getting used to how very different it is, actually enjoying having a "new" phone, i have had iphones all the way up from the 3 to the 5 as sad as it sounds the buzz of a "new" phone when you get a new iphone quickly dissapears once you sync your back up from previous one you basicly have a new shell with same features where as what i have found with the s4 is that i am finding more and more stuff to customise and make my own with launchers , logos widgets etc , im by no means using the s4 to its full potential as others are one here but happy with it and cant see me getting bored with it any time soon,

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what version of Exchange and the features you are trying to use.
Older versions of Exchange give Android phone fits in connecting and setup.
Calendar features including meeting invites seem to cause problems on Android especially shared Calendars.
If the certificate is self generated that also seems to give Android problems.

I did have many of these kinds of issues on my Droid 3. Has been flawless on the S4.

My employer does have the latest and greatest in terms of exchange support.

Touchdown works well but that is one crude annoying interface.

chloeshotmom

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Switched from iPhone 5. I don't miss anything on ios. I love everything about s4 though its complicated sometimes. Got bored with ios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I did have many of these kinds of issues on my Droid 3. Has been flawless on the S4.

My employer does have the latest and greatest in terms of exchange support.

Touchdown works well but that is one crude annoying interface.

2010 or 2013? I think 2013 is the first one that truly supports mobile devices properly.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Switched from the iPhone 5.

Miss iMessage, the app ecosystem (loved that most apps came to iPhone first), and the screen sharpness. As much as anyone says, Retina displays are simply beautiful in all viewing angles.

Don't miss the fact that everything was sandboxed.. To much restriction, have to go to the Apple store to fix, a majority of the iFans I'm aquatinted with are snobs, Apple hasn't innovated much since the introduction of the iPhone it seems. It's 2013, and the best they could do, was give the latest device a slighty bigger screen, 1Gb of RAM, and a dual core CPU?
Also the fact that their jailbreaking community seems to innovate, and strive for new features more than them. Hated the fact that I couldn't make the device my own, besides a new wallpaper.

As far as Android goes, I'm LOVING it. Jellybean runs like a well oiled machine, I can customize the device to suit MY needs, and the battery life is simply amazing to say the last! I can text all day, stream music, check email, video chat, take pictures, and play games most of the day, and come home with 35% still left on it, 16-17 hours after being taken off the charger! Cross platform integration, especially Chrome, is simply amazing.

Simply put, I am so glad I made the switch. Made parts of my working, and social life, tons and tons easier to do!

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Great thread and mostly great honest answers. I am an iOS user thinking about switching, just to shake things up a bit. I don?t really have a problem with iOS, but I have been on WebOS and Android in past and I think it is Android?s turn again. It?s great that Google services pretty much run anywhere so switching apart from app investment presents no problems.

iMessage has become a staple platform in my family though, but at least it works on my Mac (which I will never switch for a Windows machine).

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounding pretty good so far!

Quick question, anyone have issues with WiFi? Since that is a bulk of my business, I use WiFi 70% of the time. It's usually WPA2 AES CCMP 802.1x networks, even at home because of my wireless lab. I noticed a few people were having issues, which would be a big problem for me. Are wireless issues common, or just one of those "1 out of 1000" deals? I know I have had a few clients that had issues with Android devices, but it was usually due to the Radius Server certificate.

Thanks again!

bigstormgirl

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

iPhone 4

The touchscreen. Touch Wizard is a little frustrating at times.

Boredom. Saw what can be done with S3 and was intrigued. Also liked the fact that I can remove the battery.

Not a business owner.

About the same as my 4.

Nope.

No regrets. I'm not very geeky (hence why I had the iphone for several years), so I'm always learning new stuff about the S3. Love the larger screen since my eyes are getting bad (over 50). May move on to a Note 3 when it comes out. But that will not be till my contract is up.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if someone moved back to iOS, what is the likelihood of them still being around to vote in this poll?
That's what I was thinking.... Plus apparently most people who replied are confusing their phone with it's operating system. When people start blaming charging systems plugs you just have to roll your eyes. People on the Apple forums would probable leave similar answers to the ones above. People switch from android to iOS everyday and are just as happy. From a developers viewpoint it's all about the ecosystem, and Apple wins there, but android has now progressed to the point where it almost doesn't matter. I think for most people once they progress past ICS the similarities of both systems are similar. iOS7 is going to be amazing that's true, but android will catch up. This market is too competitive for them not to.

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I was just adding that in there. Even though some people moved back to an iPhone, they may stay active on the forum.But you are right, most people probably wouldn't be around anymore. I do appreciate everyone giving their input.

I don't like the look of IOS 7 that much, plus the next phone will probably have the same size screen as before.

Hmmm, I may pick up and Active today. If I do, i'll do it online since the are 50% off at AT&T. Plus waived fee's and 25% off on my Premier Plan.