Apple to Samsung - IOS to Android

I moved over to Android!

• Total voters

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of the 'thinking about it' voters. I've been watching the S4 since it was first released(and reading alot here in AC) by AT&T back in April, although I'm on Verizon but they didn't have the device just yet. I wasn't crazy about the 16gb because of how much room the OS consumes leaving the actual device with about 9.60gb avail. I don't *think* I'd use up that much space on apps, but hey, one never knows, right? :) I was happy to see the 32gb was released by Verizon this weekend, so that's bending my arm a bit more. What the major factor is here of holding me back, is I don't have an upgrade avail, so I would have to pay FRP of the $699....and that's killer! Lol (yes I know I could make monthly pymts). I wound up giving my upgrade to my son twice because he needed them, one being the S4 he just got himself last month. I've checked out his hands-on on a few occasions, and I like what I see. Another thing drawing my attention is the screen size & the fact that I've been wanting to experience the android software. I have the 4S now and my eyes aren't what they used to be....sure I could wear reading glasses, and I do to help out. Plus, I need to feel 100% sure I'm ready to make the switch as well. Last thing I'd want is to switch, and after a week give up because I wasn't completely 'open & ready'....know what I mean? :) I know there will be a learning curve of how things are done differently, and I want to have the patience to learn them and not give up.

So, for now I'll wait patiently till an upgrade on our account opens up to see what I'm going to do then.

For now I'll continue to lurk here and enjoy everyone's ss's in the meantime:p:D lol.

Last edited:

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of the 'thinking about it' voters. I've been watching the S4 since it was first released(and reading alot here in AC) by AT&T back in April, although I'm on Verizon but they didn't have the device just yet. I wasn't crazy about the 16gb because of how much room the OS consumes leaving the actual device with about 9.60gb avail. I don't *think* I'd use up that much space on apps, but hey, one never knows, right? :) I was happy to see the 32gb was released by Verizon this weekend, so that's bending my arm a bit more. What the major factor is here of holding me back, is I don't have an upgrade avail, so I would have to pay FRP of the $699....and that's killer! Lol (yes I know I could make monthly pymts). I wound up giving my upgrade to my son twice because he needed them, one being the S4 he just got himself last month. I've checked out his hands-on on a few occasions, and I like what I see. Another thing drawing my attention is the screen size & the fact that I've been wanting to experience the android software. I have the 4S now and my eyes aren't what they used to be....sure I could wear reading glasses, and I do to help out. Plus, I need to feel 100% sure I'm ready to make the switch as well. Last thing I'd want is to switch, and after a week give up because I wasn't completely 'open & ready'....know what I mean? :) I know there will be a learning curve of how things are done differently, and I want to have the patience to learn them and not give up.

So, for now I'll wait patiently till an upgrade on our account opens up to see what I'm going to do then.

For now I'll continue to lurk here mad enjoy everyone's ss's in the meantime:p:D lol.

*applause*

Best set of reasons I've seen for sitting on the fence, about switching devices.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
When I made the switch to smartphones I started with the original Motorola Droid, then I got the HTC Incredible, then I left android mostly because of poor sound quality with headphones and with audio in my car. I recently just switched back from an iPhone 4 to the GS4. Android has come a long way in the last 2 years, thats for sure. Coming from an iPhone 4 that was getting slower by the day, the GS4 is an absolute beast. 2GB of ram and a quad core 1.9ghz processor is beastly, the big screen and better battery life is also a plus.

bistwo

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 4 to a GS4. What got me was how many more cool features the GS4 has over the iphones. I don't miss anything about the iPhone. The GS4's battery lasts a little longer than my iPhone. I usually make it through the day on moderate to heavy usage with 4g on.

posted from my Samsung Galaxy S4

dava

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
That's what I was thinking.... Plus apparently most people who replied are confusing their phone with it's operating system. When people start blaming charging systems plugs you just have to roll your eyes. People on the Apple forums would probable leave similar answers to the ones above. People switch from android to iOS everyday and are just as happy. From a developers viewpoint it's all about the ecosystem, and Apple wins there, but android has now progressed to the point where it almost doesn't matter. I think for most people once they progress past ICS the similarities of both systems are similar. iOS7 is going to be amazing that's true, but android will catch up. This market is too competitive for them not to.

not really an eye rolling point though is it? when infact you need the "phone" to work the ios and for both to work you need to charge it etc, if i was all about ios the OP would have just asked questions about the system and not what "phone" was used before etc

imo both come come hand in hand and to work one you need the other etc so its not so much a mix up between ios and phone its self , its about the whole package

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely about the whole package.

They both have their Pro's and Con's. Both are amazing products. Out of all the phones I looked at, I prefer either Apple or Samsung, IOS or Android. Windows phone is actually quite smooth, but their I just don't feel it is for me.

At the end of the day, yes it is just a phone. Why should someone stress so much about it? I know I do because it is my only phone, a very important business tool, navigation for when I am completely lost(travel a lot), my only camera..etc. I probably use my phone more than my the 5GHz i5 computer I built, lol.

Now if I can get ATT to not try and charge me $30 a month for unlimited family texting. My family is only 2 people, why do they have to charge some much for texting? My line of work is right up their ally, so I know it's not difficult at all. The data packet is so small.

That and I need to speak to my employer about our Exchange environment. It essentially wants SU rights to my phone. I have an HP Touchpad with JB. When I try to add my work email, it asks for all kinds of rights.

I really appreciate everyones unbiased reviews. It's extremely helpful. No matter if I move to Android or not, I think you guys should keep voting. This will be great for anyone else like me, stuck on the fence and having a hard time deciding.

Let me know if there are more items you want added to the poll. EDIT: How to I change Poll settings, lol?

Hah, this sounds like such a first world problem. :p

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
This is in fact, an Android forum, am I correct?
Yeah I guess it's 'only' and android forum when you don't want to hear the 'whole' truth huh? BTW, that's a redundant question.

I am not afraid of Apple.
Your response proves differently. Sorry but it's a matter of history now.

Another thing drawing my attention is the screen size & the fact that I've been wanting to experience the android software.
The new Sony is supposed to have a 6.4 inch screen (almost tablet sized). Plus it will be completely waterproof (instead of just water resistant). If it's space that you want then later this year a new SD product will be coming out that will expand any HTC One up to 2TB. I'll be testing a prototype out in a couple of weeks if you need more information about it, just let me know. A good way to learn about the best screen size for you is to go into a store that sells smartphones and start playing around with them. Your eyes may love a certain screen size, but your hands may not. This will give you a good idea of what works best for you.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely about the whole package.

They both have their Pro's and Con's. Both are amazing products. Out of all the phones I looked at, I prefer either Apple or Samsung, IOS or Android. Windows phone is actually quite smooth, but their I just don't feel it is for me.

At the end of the day, yes it is just a phone. Why should someone stress so much about it? I know I do because it is my only phone, a very important business tool, navigation for when I am completely lost(travel a lot), my only camera..etc. I probably use my phone more than my the 5GHz i5 computer I built, lol.

Now if I can get ATT to not try and charge me $30 a month for unlimited family texting. My family is only 2 people, why do they have to charge some much for texting? My line of work is right up their ally, so I know it's not difficult at all. The data packet is so small.

That and I need to speak to my employer about our Exchange environment. It essentially wants SU rights to my phone. I have an HP Touchpad with JB. When I try to add my work email, it asks for all kinds of rights.

I really appreciate everyones unbiased reviews. It's extremely helpful. No matter if I move to Android or not, I think you guys should keep voting. This will be great for anyone else like me, stuck on the fence and having a hard time deciding.

Let me know if there are more items you want added to the poll. EDIT: How to I change Poll settings, lol?

Hah, this sounds like such a first world problem. :p

A couple things.

Call ATT and ask for account retention and see what they can offer you. They will give a credit against unlimited texting to reduce the costs.

On Exchange I do not believe they can remove Exchange SU permissions on a per device basis(Honestly I never ran into a situation like this to look). It is usually company policy and if they disable that feature for one they have to disable it for all(If anybody knows that this is no longer the case, please inform me because I haven't ever had this requested).

If you have any sensitive company emails like location passwords etc, they probably want the ability to remote wipe if the device is lost.

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
You have a valid point. Email confidentiality is a big concern.

I would just hope they don't have access to my contacts, pictures, text records and browser history. I haven't really looked into what access they want.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The new Sony is supposed to have a 6.4 inch screen (almost tablet sized). Plus it will be completely waterproof (instead of just water resistant). If it's space that you want then later this year a new SD product will be coming out that will expand any HTC One up to 2TB. I'll be testing a prototype out in a couple of weeks if you need more information about it, just let me know. A good way to learn about the best screen size for you is to go into a store that sells smartphones and start playing around with them. Your eyes may love a certain screen size, but your hands may not. This will give you a good idea of what works best for you.

Well....I'm glad you mentioned this as I forgot to include this point in my original post - screen size and my hands holding that "phablet" Here's the other thing I'm struggling with - I'm a very petite person, hence small hands. Back in January I was set to move to the Note 2 - I didn't mind the size of the device at all, but on several occassions of checking it out in Verizon and also using my Uncles, my hands were not very welcoming to it. I've also come to the conclussion there are options on the N2 that i really don't need either. See, using a 4S, I'm *very* acustomed to using my device one handed. Without a case I can reach the top left part of the screen with my thumb, if needed to tap on an app to open it. With a case on it, I do struggle a bit. SO, to go with a device that large - IDK how well it would sit with me after time. Now, the S4 on the other hand - using it one handed is also difficult for me...I've tried using my sons on several occassions. I know some of you may ask "is it really that important for one-handed navigation?" To me, it is. :)

So, just to end off, IF I decided to move to the S4, this would have to be a "habit" I'd have to break of relying on the one-handed use thing. Which is why I stated in my post above that I need to be fully open & ready to move on to another device, the S4.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I guess it's 'only' and android forum when you don't want to hear the 'whole' truth huh? BTW, that's a redundant question.

Your response proves differently. Sorry but it's a matter of history now.

I would like to know how my response of trying apple and deciding I didn't like it proves I am afraid of Apple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I would just hope they don't have access to my contacts, pictures, text records and browser history.
They most likely have more access than you think, but it varies from state to state. You should google this just to be safe.

I know some of you may ask "is it really that important for one-handed navigation?" To me, it is.

I agree, if it doesn't feel comfortable while you're using it then you will hate the phone after a while. Have you tried using the HTC One? Have you considered using a smartwatch?

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I am on the opposite end of things. I'm 6'5" and the iPhone just feels small anymore. A phone with a 5" screen feels right at home.

As for my wife, she has fairly small hands, so the S4 would be too much. It would kill her if she couldn't do things with one hand.

I looked at an LG Optimus Pro, too much. Was more like a small tablet. I think 5" and under is good. The HTC one seems like a good medium in size.

Jfazyankees13

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Just wanting to get a good idea of how many have poeple migrated from IOS to Android. If you feel like it, please vote in the poll. Let me know if you want another category added.

If you moved over, which iPhone did you come from?

What do you miss about IOS? (I know sending large images or videos can be a problem)

What was you biggest reason for the move?

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well?

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? (I can only get 1/2 day with my iPhone 4S anymore)

Sorry for all the questions! I'm thinking about at migrating over. I have an HP Touchpad from the fire sale. I have the latest CM and I have been fairly happy with it. But, there are things I can't test, like phone calls, native texting, etc. If I buy an S4(most likely an Active), I don't want to mess with custom ROMs. I used to do that back in my Windows Mobile days. I will be sticking with what comes on it, but will tweak the launcher. My phone working at all times is very important. I have leveraged the Apple Store well, same day swap if I have a hardware problem. My local ATT store is a corporate one, so they said they can do the same with the S4.

Also, what are you guys doing for insurance? I've become familiar with Apple Care, but notice there isn't a similar package from Samsung. I would have to rely on the Carrier, which is fine, just cost $120 a year. Anyone using Square Trade?

Overall, if you moved over, are you having a positive experience? Don't worry, I'm not some crazed Apple fan boy. I just go with what works well, I'm vendor agnostic.

Thanks! :cool:
1. iPhone 5

2. Its fluidity. Hopefully a software update will fully rid the GS4 of any lag/stuttering.

3. Screen size and lack of change in iOS.

4. N/A

5. My battery has been about the same as the iPhone 5. LTE battery life is MUCH better on the GS4 and being able to remove and switch out the battery is a huge perk.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
The HTC one seems like a good medium in size.
Yes it seems to be a good middle ground. Hopefully these companies will not just try to make the screen bigger and bigger. A better way for them to go would be to incorporate a pica projector into the phone. I've seen many prototypes but nothing really note worthy. Some nice iPhone cases though. Here's a video showing one which can go all the way up to 70 inch screen size. If this starts catching on I could see it hurting some TV sales.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, if it doesn't feel comfortable while you're using it then you will hate the phone after a while. Have you tried using the HTC One? Have you considered using a smartwatch?
exactly, which is another reason why I'm struggling with the switch. I do also want to check out the HTC One when Verizon does get it. But the reason I'm leaning more towards the S4 is 1) I've tried out my sons & like it 2) when I had my bb's, I was acustomed to moving files from my Win7 to the sd card, and vise versa...so I'll feel 'at home' doing this with the S4 as well.

also, no for the smartwatch...I'm not a watch wearing type.

I am on the opposite end of things. I'm 6'5" and the iPhone just feels small anymore. A phone with a 5" screen feels right at home.

As for my wife, she has fairly small hands, so the S4 would be too much. It would kill her if she couldn't do things with one hand.

I looked at an LG Optimus Pro, too much. Was more like a small tablet. I think 5" and under is good. The HTC one seems like a good medium in size.
.....and I can understand a guy of your size and the iPhone size feeling small. I also understand your wife too, it's great to be petite, but sometimes it can be a PITA:p lol.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
You have a valid point. Email confidentiality is a big concern.

I would just hope they don't have access to my contacts, pictures, text records and browser history. I haven't really looked into what access they want.

They might have access end up with access to your contacts because of how exchange syncing works. Only way they can the other stuff is if they have special software or physical access to your phone(That I am aware of).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana