S4 Home Button Loose?

oheyjulie

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had it for a little over 2 weeks. This is my second white Samsung Galaxy S4, and the first one was sent in for the same problem.
When I press the home button on the left side, it makes a slight cracking sound, and also presses twice. It is REALLY annoying and bugs me! Is this happening to anyone else?
I've checked my sister's S4 (we both have the same one, and also got it at the same time) and the button feels solid and nice! No problems on hers whatsoever!

Also, when I press down on it and move my finger from side to side, it also makes the same cracking sound and also goes in kind of, like it's not elevated properly. This is also not apparent on my sister's phone, hers goes side to side but is hard and doesn't depress at all.

I'm trying to decide if I should call it in and ask for a replacement... It'll be my THIRD one. I can't believe this happened to me twice.

Thanks for any feedback y'all! :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If it bugs you have it replaced. It's obviously a flaw because your sister's is fine. Is there a way to direct exchange in a store so you can inspect it before going home?

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I understand the cracking noise when you press on the left or right it happens to me too, it was driving me crazy. I realized it was probably just sand because I went to the beach a day before that and it would go away over time. It has gone away but I can still hear a little crack when I barely press and it's not that solid either. I've noticed on my brothers S3 it's a lot more solid and it does pop up a little bit more. Anyhow I don't see this as a factor to return my S4, it works perfectly just a little minor set back.

GS4 Love

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
This is a very common problem with Samsung. I've experienced the same issue on my previous S3 and Note 2.

The reason for it is because their quality control is still inadequate (ie cost cutting).

It is pretty luck of the draw and if you have a good one now like your sister's, there is a 50-50 chance that that one becomes loose over time too.

So, what can we really do in that case? Not much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
is there any other way to get to "close all" programs without holding down the home key?

I have Nova Launcher and I'm pretty sure other launchers have this feature as well, they let you program touch gestures to do certain fuctions. For example, swipe up for app drawer, swipe down anywhere for notifications, double tap for settings etc. I have the double tap to show all my current apps the same thing as holding down home button. From here I close all :)

GS4 Love

newS4owner

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have Nova Launcher and I'm pretty sure other launchers have this feature as well, they let you program touch gestures to do certain fuctions. For example, swipe up for app drawer, swipe down anywhere for notifications, double tap for settings etc. I have the double tap to show all my current apps the same thing as holding down home button. From here I close all :)

GS4 Love

lol thanks how did i not think of that,i have nova prime too.

spockandscot

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I've had it for a little over 2 weeks. This is my second white Samsung Galaxy S4, and the first one was sent in for the same problem.
When I press the home button on the left side, it makes a slight cracking sound, and also presses twice. It is REALLY annoying and bugs me! Is this happening to anyone else?
I've checked my sister's S4 (we both have the same one, and also got it at the same time) and the button feels solid and nice! No problems on hers whatsoever!

Also, when I press down on it and move my finger from side to side, it also makes the same cracking sound and also goes in kind of, like it's not elevated properly. This is also not apparent on my sister's phone, hers goes side to side but is hard and doesn't depress at all.

I'm trying to decide if I should call it in and ask for a replacement... It'll be my THIRD one. I can't believe this happened to me twice.

Thanks for any feedback y'all! :)

Hi there I just got my new gs4 on an extended warranty and I got the phone and had it for a day and noticed a small circle let crack near the home button luck for me they said they will send another one free of charge but it's still a pain. 8f I hadn't of seen that crack it would have got bigger and they would tell me it's physical damage and I would have to pathe 50$ for another new gs4.

Last edited by a moderator: