Does the plastic body really bother you?

quynhuong

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Every review seems to bash on the plastic of the Galaxy phones. Yes, I do feel that it makes it seem a little cheap compared to other phones, like the iP5 or the One. Supposedly, the aluminum is supposed to be more durable according to some people, but almost everyone I see has a case protecting their phone. I personally don't think the plastic is an issue since I'll be slapping a case on anyways. Also, if the back gets damaged, or scratched a lot, you can just replace it for a cheap price, rather than having a unibody aluminum phone where if there's a dent in the back, there's a dent in the back, end of story. What you you all think?

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the hype with the medal bodies. It makes the phone heavier and cumbersome. I like the plastic body of the s4. It looks good and it makes the phone light and easy to use with one hand.

Armifera Fatum

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Lol they just need to make a fuss and want to be heard... its a plastic back ok... you put a phone case on... whats the material of most cases?.. PLASTIC. No issues or complaints with my plastic back gs4.. got a nice Speck case on it..which is also plastic :) nbd.

Posted via Android Central App

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't bother me at all, like you said people put cases on their phones anyway. But I wouldn't mind a metal body though, hopefully for the s5.

Sent from my GT-I9500

shotjas

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that the plastic gives the S4 a "cheap" design look or feel compared to the iPhone or the HTC One. I've had several phones over the course of the advancement into smart phones. Not once did I bother with the care if it was aluminum or plastic body, it was what was inside that body that mattered most to me. Did the phone operate to my exceeding expectations and demands to keep pace with me? Could it handle the grueling assaults that I put it through without crashing or restarting constantly? If so, it was a keeper. Many a sales person at the Sprint or Verizon stores would ask me to leave, I crashed a few phones while finding the one that will work for me over the years.

I am more than happy, beyond just content, actually happy with me S4. They have blended the features I don't need, but are cool to have, with the must have on a daily basis into a beautiful device that you are never ashamed to pull out and display proudly. Many a person has shown their jealousy when I bring this phone out at dinner meetings. Gives a great sense of pride to know that I have a top-of-the-line device.

Sent from my SCH-I545

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I work in construction, so I gotta have a case and holster!
The first week with my Galaxy S4 I used it "naked". And on the weekends I also use it naked.
It doesn't bother me one bit!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I honestly rather have plastic than metal, feels better to me, but at the end of the day, its the use of the phone that matters more to me
If a phone was made out of stone but was the best phone out, I'd get it

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Plastics:
* Cheap to replace
* Good shock absorption
* Plastic+metal roll cage will serve better protection than aluminum/metal.
* Harder to deform or permanently damage under lower stresses compared to aluminum however will be prone to breaking faster than aluminum at higher stresses. At higher stresses it becomes moot point. Good luck using 3mm thick aluminum chassis to provide much better strength.

Too bad with the S4 there is no lip to protect the screen, otherwise it would hold up quite well.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The plastic body is not a deal breaker. The deal breaker is a removable battery and card slot, both of which the current "premium and sexy" metal devices don't offer.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

loc09

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Plastic body is just great. Light weight is one positive thing. Even with cover s4 will stay light weight.
Atm I am using mine as naked, it is slightly slippery, but i think that it would be quite same with metal body. With cover no problems with slippery.

--A

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I put a nice slim case on mine that feels a bit better to grip but I don't really have a issue with the plastic on the s4.

Tapatalking from my Galaxy S IV

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Plastic on the phone is fine. Below is the only time where plastic bothers me.

celebrity_plastic_surgery_640_03.jpg

jocelyn-wildenstein.jpg

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Nope, build quality gets thrown out the windows when you wear a case

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't bother me at all, like you said people put cases on their phones anyway. But I wouldn't mind a metal body though, hopefully for the s5.

Sent from my GT-I9500

**most people put cases on. I am naked.. Always ;).

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a One for 2 months,the aluminum is giving it a prestige look but...the slightest touch of one of its border with a solid object (iron,plastic,wood,wall...) and you get an automatic micro chip or scratch!
Never got this problem an any HTC before (N1,DHD,Sensation,OneX),so now I am using a flip cover which is kind of sad,I wonder if the S4 plastic is more resistant to everyday ''accidents''
Also worst case scenario if you got bad damage to the cover,it's plastic so cheap and easy to change while the One is aluminum unibody so expensive and very difficult to change

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a One for 2 months,the aluminum is giving it a prestige look but...the slightest touch of one of its border with a solid object (iron,plastic,wood,wall...) and you get an automatic micro chip or scratch!
Never got this problem an any HTC before (N1,DHD,Sensation,OneX),so now I am using a flip cover which is kind of sad,I wonder if the S4 plastic is more resistant to everyday ''accidents''
Also worst case scenario if you got bad damage to the cover,it's plastic so cheap and easy to change while the One is aluminum unibody so expensive and very difficult to change

My s3 doesn't have any scratches in it. Now, I do use a case when I go out, but at home it is naked.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a case on my GS4, and couldn't care less about the what people say about the build quality. People that own a Corvette don't have a problem with build quality either! ;-)

Posted via Android Central App

hallda01

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I had more of a problem with the thinness and the glossyness making it feel cheap and flimsy than the fact it was made of plastic. It just wasn't comfortable to hold (granted neither is the iPhone 5, but it does feel more solid), and the HTC One is comfortable to hold. I have the Active now and it just fits your hand better. Plus, the little rubberized parts and the matte plastic just look more solid. Little things like that go a long way to make a device feel premium.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Plastics:
* Cheap to replace
* Good shock absorption
* Plastic+metal roll cage will serve better protection than aluminum/metal.
* Harder to deform or permanently damage under lower stresses compared to aluminum however will be prone to breaking faster than aluminum at higher stresses. At higher stresses it becomes moot point. Good luck using 3mm thick aluminum chassis to provide much better strength.

Too bad with the S4 there is no lip to protect the screen, otherwise it would hold up quite well.
This for me, too. Though I will say that I prefer whichever material has a coefficient of friction that isn't super close to zero. One of my issues with the S4 is how ridiculously slick it is without a case. You can't put it on anything that isn't perfectly flat without it sliding off. You're also much more prone to break a phone if you drop it and that's much easier with a slick casing. It's the only thing I miss about my Droid X2, it was a more rubbery, matte finish that was easier to grip. Granted, a cheap TPU case fixes this, but I'd rather the phone just be easy to hold on to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87