Will Factory Reset Remove Latest OTA Update?

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
So I want to root. The problem is that I cannot since I installed the latest update from ATT. If I were to do a complete factory reset, will it literally put my phone back to the same state and firmware version it was when I first purchased it? Would I then be able to root?

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I will take a look. Any idea where I can find the firmware version prior (MDL) to this recent patch (MF3)?

Edit: Found the firmware but it looks like I cannot downgrade based on this link.

[HOW-TO] The All-In-One Root/Backup/Flash Guide ►MF3 ROOT SUPPORT SECTION◄ - xda-developers

Should I decide to do so, I can root. Just won't have the option to revert.

New Root Method for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 (OTA FM3) (updated) - xda-developers

Last edited:

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I will take a look. Any idea where I can find the firmware version prior (MDL) to this recent patch (MF3)?

Edit: Found the firmware but it looks like I cannot downgrade based on this link.

[HOW-TO] The All-In-One Root/Backup/Flash Guide ►MF3 ROOT SUPPORT SECTION◄ - xda-developers

Should I decide to do so, I can root. Just won't have the option to revert.

New Root Method for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 (OTA FM3) (updated) - xda-developers

The MF3 OTA prevents you from downgrading - it's just not possible at this point and may never be.

It is true that they have just discovered a new method for rooting MF3...but there is no custom recovery/bootloader exploit so you cannot revert back, cannot install custom roms, etc.

Give it time and they will probably figure it out, but those are your options right now.