samsung galaxy s4 turns off but still has 30% battery life

JLo0419

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My s4 turns off at 30% battery life! I tried turning it on but no luck. I need to connect the charger before the phone will boot up. The worst part of it is instead of the battery showing as 30%, it shows 0% as if the battery has totally been drained out. Help!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Have your tried a different battery? Sounds like you could have a faulty battery that isn't holding a proper charge and simply crashes around that same point.

This doesn't sound software related at all.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
No doubt your battery is bad. It reports as 30%, but it's really zero. Time for a replacement. I've had great performance from Anker batteries, better than stock.

fernandojavier

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I've been having the same issue this past week. Just don't understand what is happening. It shuts down every day, even if the battery is over 50% before it dies. It is normally while flicking with the apps, or even in the middle of a phonecall...The most annoying thing is that when I plugg the charger, it starts and everything works fine. when I go to the battery graph it shows a drop from say 70% down to 40 % or from 30% down to 0 %. And again, there is now way to bring it back to life without the "jump start".
Is it soft/hardware or battery issue?
Have you found any solution to this?

HemishV

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
1. I'm having the exact same problem... My S4 now lives on the charger almost through out the day, once i take it off it stays on for an hour even though battery is at 70% the phone turns off.

2. When i Plug in my phone on the computer, my phone or computer doesn't read it. Any Solution?

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I am sure I am experiencing the same issue. I really Need Help! I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan Australia in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge. I have been using this phone for only 2 months and I take really good care of my phone. I am not really sure what the problem is and now that I cant send it back to Kogan, I am really worried and frustrated. Is there any way to solve this problem or any suggestions. PLEASE KINDLY HELP!!!!! :(

jacksin87

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am the same as HamishV.

I have Kies, but doesnt connect anymore.
It has just started to happen over the last couple of days.
Battery life seems fine, but the phone crashes randomly when I am using apps. If i try to turn it back on it will only go through the start up screens and then crash again as i go to use it, regardless to battery charge.

The only way I can get it to function again is to let it sit in the corner on the charger...
I have only had the phone for a couple of months.

I use this phone for work, and it is seriously starting to affect my performance.

There must be some way to fix it.

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Happens to my phone as well. Solution: Buy a new battery.

Get an official good battery (or good 3rd party battery like Anker) not
the supposedly "genuine" ones on ebay which are really fakes for $5.

TH08

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the same trouble with my S4. I did some tests and tried to figure out what was trigging this "sudden death", and it seamed to happen when the phone was working harder. I.e. with photos, games, performance tests etc. It always turned off. After reading forums and searching around for similar problems and solutions, I concluded that the problem had to be the battery. Offcourse the store where I purchased my S4, came with the standard solution of factory reset. That did not help. So I got a new battery, and now it works like a charm.
I still haven't figured out what made my battery stop working. I read this interesting article: Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries. Maybe I'm charging the battery for to long at night, as I always plug in the ccharger when I go to bed at night. The old battery had also swollen a bit.
So my solution was to replace the battery. Now my galaxy S4 is as good as it ever was. :)

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys, after doing lots of research I found that, there's nothing wrong with any of your apps, nothing wrong with your usage or the way you charge your phone. The fact is Samsung released a huge bunch Faulty/Defective (Faulty battery with poorly built handset body) Galaxy S4. The problem is widespread and more critical than you think. Please read the following article:

Samsung Galaxy S4 battery problem hitting users ? Phone Reviews

Here goes the exact problem details (Copied from my previous post): I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan Australia in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge.

Now the most Dangerous part! After around 2/3 months usage the Battery will experience Swelling all of a sudden and in the process will bend your Handset Screen outwards (Uneven screen raised outwards from the handset). This happens because the battery swells and looks like a flat pillow and can not fit inside and as a result bends your expensive handset. Samsung should start a product recall immediately and replace all the handsets!!!!

felon1303

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
My s4 turns off at 30% battery life! I tried turning it on but no luck. I need to connect the charger before the phone will boot up. The worst part of it is instead of the battery showing as 30%, it shows 0% as if the battery has totally been drained out. Help!

Hi I had similar problem and found it was a problem with the battery if the battery is not completely flat or has a bump on it the battery is faulty I bought a new battery on and have had no problems with my phone since hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Helsbelles

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone, i have started to get the same thing this week. My phone dies in the middle of using an app even thoug it had said it was 65% charged. The only way to turn it back on is to leave it for 10 minutes and then try or to plug it into the charger. When it comes back to life it says it has 1% charge but if you leave it unplugged for a few minutes it goes back up to 65% all but itself. I have read some news articles which say this is a common problem with a bad batch and samsung will replace your battery for free. To get the free battery you need to go onto their website and find your local samsung service centre. Hopefully you get the new battery before it warps your phone as if the battery swells it can damage your phone permanently!!

Chess Drake

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
HELP!!! My Samsung S4 is just cutting out, it just goes off as in if I take it off charge in the morning within 10 seconds of it been switched on it just goes off. It isn't insured but it is still under warranty although my box and receipt is packed away in boxes somewhere (moving house).
I need a fast solution NOW :'(
I would never recommend this stupid phone to anyone.

vmy

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
OMG! I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks now, and because I keep my phone in a case I hadn't even noticed that the battery had changed shape! I've just checked it and it has definatly increased in width by about 50%. Samsung really need to do something about this!

BigBlackPiano

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all I too am having this horrible situation of my Galaxy s4 turning off all the time even more so when using app's and I have an answer for all of you suffering the same headache.

so here it is I sent an email to customer support to Samsung and they have accepted the faulty battery issue eg looking like a pillow wow when I looked at mine it actually does look like a pilow....lol so for all you others out there going nuts having to plug it into its charger just to keep it on contact Samsung for a battery replacement details are below I contacted live chat you need your purchase date and battery serial number when you contact them.

Live Chat
http://livechat.support.samsung.com/LiveChat/customer/au
Monday to Sunday: 8am - 8pm (AEST)

Samsung Customer Care
Phone: 1300 362 603
Monday to Sunday: 8am - 8pm (AEST)