S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree with your second point. IN fact, I wonder why Samsung didn't just use their marketing muscle to a similar end. "If you want to sell our phone, you must agree not to install any crapware..."

The first point is debateable. None of the applications I use day to day are superior on the iPhone and some, like Google Maps are not even easily available.

Exactly! At this point, I would think Samsung would have the muscle to stop all the carrier bloatware. I personally think they get paid to let them install apps on it, which is probably why they haven't tried to do what apple did. And yes, the first point is debatable. In my experience though, a lot of ios apps were better. That certainly doesn't mean the Android versions are bad though. And I'm pretty sure you can still download Google maps, so that's a plus.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Uh yeah because HP pulled the plug and the reason why is because Leo Apotheker totally screwed the pooch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Granted this is just my opinion, but I think Web os kinda looks ugly. I'm sure it works fine and is a wonderful OS, it just doesn't look as amazing as one would expect.

CrzyP

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
What about your S4 is causing you consternation?

Sent from my Note 10.1/Note 8.0/S4

Well, I'll start off with I came from an iPhone 4S to the S4. What bothers me is TW. If stock Android is great, why does Samsung have to screw it up? With Samsung adding their TW and crapware, it just feels like too many hands got a hold of the development. What pisses me off the most is I can't launch the camera from the lockscreen. I paid for WidgetLocker and Nova but I'm still not satisfied because it is not a fluid experience. Lockscreen notifications are weak too. I fell victim to the Samsung ads and I wish I did a little more research and had more patience when switching to Android. Please don't mistake me for saying I've given up on Android. I just think the SGS4 is not all that. I've asked in other threads for advice, but have received no feedback so please offer some up if you've got it.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'll start off with I came from an iPhone 4S to the S4. What bothers me is TW. If stock Android is great, why does Samsung have to screw it up? With Samsung adding their TW and crapware, it just feels like too many hands got a hold of the development. What pisses me off the most is I can't launch the camera from the lockscreen. I paid for WidgetLocker and Nova but I'm still not satisfied because it is not a fluid experience. Lockscreen notifications are weak too. I fell victim to the Samsung ads and I wish I did a little more research and had more patience when switching to Android. Please don't mistake me for saying I've given up on Android. I just think the SGS4 is not all that.

It all comes down to personal Preference. You'd probably be happier with a nexus device. Coming from iPhone (3 years) I'm really enjoying my s4, but I'm in the minority of people who don't have a problem with touchwiz.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'll start off with I came from an iPhone 4S to the S4. What bothers me is TW. If stock Android is great, why does Samsung have to screw it up? With Samsung adding their TW and crapware, it just feels like too many hands got a hold of the development. What pisses me off the most is I can't launch the camera from the lockscreen. I paid for WidgetLocker and Nova but I'm still not satisfied because it is not a fluid experience. Lockscreen notifications are weak too. I fell victim to the Samsung ads and I wish I did a little more research and had more patience when switching to Android. Please don't mistake me for saying I've given up on Android. I just think the SGS4 is not all that. I've asked in other threads for advice, but have received no feedback so please offer some up if you've got it.

Maybe you should have bought a Google addition? Anyway, just slap a aosp rom on it and you're good to go. Cyanogenmod perhaps? Smooth, efficient, custom. It's stock android with hints of custom touches by the cyanogenmod team

CrzyP

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It all comes down to personal Preference. You'd probably be happier with a nexus device. Coming from iPhone (3 years) I'm really enjoying my s4, but I'm in the minority of people who don't have a problem with touchwiz.

I mentioned earlier that I wish I could have waited for the Moto X. That device seems more like my cup of tea. So in the meantime, I'm waiting for an unlock code and then I will try out the Google Play Edition ROM on my S4 (also mentioned earlier).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For the most part I like this thread because it suggests that we can all be nerds and buy stuff from different companies for different reasons and not feel the need to convert each other or grasp the pitch forks to go destroy the heathens. Thanks guys and gals.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

Not wanting to hijack this but I have been dithering over swapping from my iPhone 5 to the s4 for the last few weeks. Battery life is my main reason (don't like the battery cases for iPhone).
You guys that switched over, how have you found the battery life?
Also, our house is completely in the apple ecosystem, iMac, atv, iPads, MacBooks, AirPort Extreme, airport express, how easy will it be to get the s4 to play nice and hopefully sync email (including an @me account) ?

Thought I would ask as there seems to be a few converts in here that are happy with it

Thanks

There's an app called bump available in the play store and iTunes, I've shared photos with my daughter that way she on her iPhone me on my android. You might look into that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Have you considered another launcher? Try Go Launcher and Go Locker. The S4 is not all that but I like mine.

Sent from my humble Note 10.1/Note 8.0/S4

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Lucky you, I had so many problems with touchwiz. Samsung builds excellent phones, but they need to fire their programmers. I swear they picked them up on the side of a McDonalds. My phone is in the hands of people who know what they're doing (currently the carbon team), and I couldn't be happier. The phone is the best I've ever had now, and all it took was a different rom. It's amazing how much difference that can make.

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Lucky you, I had so many problems with touchwiz. Samsung builds excellent phones, but they need to fire their programmers. I swear they picked them up on the side of a McDonalds. My phone is in the hands of people who know what they're doing (currently the carbon team), and I couldn't be happier. The phone is the best I've ever had now, and all it took was a different rom. It's amazing how much difference that can make.

I love stock android on my nexus 7. If I could have afforded the Google play s4 outright, I would have gone that direction.

That being said, with the functions I don't like in touch wiz disabled, and using nova launcher I am quite happy. It took a lot of fiddling to get to that point though.

I would love to try to root at some point, but coming from iPhone where jailbreaking was so simple, rooting seems a little overwhelming. It also seems like more can screw up if something goes wrong. I am generally eager to try that kind of stuff out, but nervous to try it with my work phone.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I love stock android on my nexus 7. If I could have afforded the Google play s4 outright, I would have gone that direction.

That being said, with the functions I don't like in touch wiz disabled, and using nova launcher I am quite happy. It took a lot of fiddling to get to that point though.

I would love to try to root at some point, but coming from iPhone where jailbreaking was so simple, rooting seems a little overwhelming. It also seems like more can screw up if something goes wrong. I am generally eager to try that kind of stuff out, but nervous to try it with my work phone.

Have you heard of cf auto root? It's a one click root solution built by chainfire. I've never used it because I like to install my own things, but it works well. And I love stock android as well, it's much smoother than modified manufacturer roms usually

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What pisses me off the most is I can't launch the camera from the lockscreen. I paid for WidgetLocker and Nova but I'm still not satisfied because it is not a fluid experience.
What is it you aren't able to do with WidgetLocker? I can launch the camera from the lock screen even without it. With Widget Locker, Tasker and some sort of Widget creation app like Minimalistic Text or UCCW you can make your own custom widgets that display whatever information you want and it can change dynamically depending on any number of different contexts.

CrzyP

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
WidgetLocker isn't fluid in my opinion. I should elaborate that I use a PIN to lock my phone. With the TW lock screen with PIN enabled, I can't access the camera.

Posted via Android Central App

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Nope, it's not in line. I'm going to say faulty programming (which I've dabbled in). It may have a slower processor, but it doesn't need a huge one. My old iPhone 5 runs as fast as my Galaxy, and that's due to optimization (which android basically doesn't have unless you have a Moto x). It's all about optimization. And yes, it does do location services with Google Now. It can also remind you things when you get to a certain location, etc. Basically, you have no argument

And the fact that the ios google now is nowhere near as good as for android.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Well if it's the same device you would be correct, but these are not. Like I said, it comes down to optimization. The iPhone could be running a process at let's say 800 mhz. Then let's say I have a galaxy running the process at 1.9 ghz. Obviously, the Galaxy will die faster.

Well how can u explain why my Sis ip5 dies WAY before my phone and we both do the same activities??

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well how can u explain why my Sis ip5 dies WAY before my phone and we both do the same activities??

A smaller battery of course. That was just an example, in actuality phones usually don't run like that. The Galaxy is probably running at a medium clock speed, I'm guessing about an average of 1 ghz. The iPhone is probably running at about 850-900 mhz. Since the iPhone has a substantially smaller battery, it would die faster at those speeds. I'm assuming it a mix of games and streaming?

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Have you heard of cf auto root? It's a one click root solution built by chainfire. I've never used it because I like to install my own things, but it works well. And I love stock android as well, it's much smoother than modified manufacturer roms usually

I will look into it. The big problem is, there are SO many methods available, and when you do research it get's really confusing. Some are outdated, some don't work for some carriers etc etc. I am not saying it's a ridiculously hard process, but for a newb to the platform, I find it overwhelming. It's something where I wish I knew someone locally to go through it with me.

Richillion

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I had both the iPhone 5 and the gs4. I sold my iPhone because it was just so limited in a lot always. Try to download a ringtone or download a file from the Internet and u will see. The issues u have seem to be the opposite for me, I've enjoyed my experience with isyncr and googles apps. Kies is so so. The s4 can pretty much play any video and music file un like iPhone. Camera options are great and being able too share a 2gb movies with someone in 4 minutes is awesome. If I was to say tho its not as reliable or fluid as an iPhone. I get delays when I type sometimes and crashes. I miss that about iPhones, but that is why iPads were created :)
P.s I hate playing games on the s4 it just doesn't play the same or feel as polished, iPhone kicks *** in regards to that but that's why I have a ps vita . So I don't have to play phone games ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.