S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
And neither do Android phones...

Yeah, but it seems as though they do considerably more than iPhones. Over the years, I have read post after post where someone is on their 5th or 6th phone, or had so much trouble that Verizon switched them to another phone. I have read these many, many times, but hardly ever about an iPhone. I know that they malfunction, but not to the degree of Androids. And that probably has a lot to do with that #1 customer satisfaction rating for a few years now. The top-tier Androids are much better now, and I am strongly considering a Moto X, as I returned my iPhone 5 today.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like they need to take better care of their phones. iPhones just don't normally break with that kind of regularity.

They do, they're not little kids, college age and beyond, who knows why, the issues we are having just seem to be defects. Verizon seems to agree, since they never question the returned devices.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Uhm. I've repaired or seen enough Iphones to know better.
The Iphone 5 has approximately a 20% defect rate according to return rates between Apple and mfg (Foxconn).
Apple Returns Millions of Defective iPhone 5 Smartphones

Yeah, but those phones never reached the customers. It was a bad run of phones that Apple caught before they hit the market. They made Foxconn take them back because they were unfit to sell. Foxconn lost a bundle.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Don't even try to say that iPhone breaks down as much as Androids. It just doesn't happen, and part of that reason is the cheap Android junk that some companies put on the market. They really hurt Android.

Why are you comparing iphones to the cheap android junk? That doesn't seem like a very fair comparison. Compare them to the actual top end android phones and then you can make a fair comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but those phones never reached the customers. It was a bad run of phones that Apple caught before they hit the market. They made Foxconn take them back because they were unfit to sell. Foxconn lost a bundle.

Customer or not. Defects are defects are defects. The fact Apple had to return 5-8 million of them at once because their own QC caught them speaks volumes.
Lastly there was the whole fiasco of scratches, dinged, or nicked iphone 5 aluminum bezels or glass out of the box. Plus many others.

If you think a CNC'ed aluminum chassis magically makes hardware better, then believe what you want but truth is motherboards for a $400 smartphone or $800 smartphone have to be manufactured in the same factory or by the same companies throughout various factories. Batteries are the same. Processors as well. Etc etc etc.

The difference between Apple, and a cheaper android phone? R&D, and Quality control. Apple's QC is not better than anyone else's.
Their customer service however is.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Why are you comparing iphones to the cheap android junk? That doesn't seem like a very fair comparison. Compare them to the actual top end android phones and then you can make a fair comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I am comparing iPhone to Android, and unfortunately the cheap junk is part of Android. And I did state that the cheap stuff was hurting Android.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Most iPhone repairs are because people drop and crack the screen which was severely decreased when the less glass iphone 5 came out.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
There are those that would actually say the HTC One or S4 has better build quality than the iPhone 4. Now, I have an S4, and I love it but there's no way in h*** either of the latter phones are built better than the iPhone 4. Now the iPhone 5? I just can't get over how fragile that phone feels. It'll scratch if you fart too close to it.

The Order Odonata. There can be only one.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
There are those that would actually say the HTC One or S4 has better build quality than the iPhone 4. Now, I have an S4, and I love it but there's no way in h*** either of the latter phones are built better than the iPhone 4. Now the iPhone 5? I just can't get over how fragile that phone feels. It'll scratch if you fart too close to it.

The Order Odonata. There can be only one.

Lmfao!!!! Scratching gas!!!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like they need to take better care of their phones. iPhones just don't normally break with that kind of regularity.

Lol! :D
Here we go again! :rolleyes:
Yes! (iphones break) They do! :banghead:
Ask my nieces. :mad:
I wonder if you're an isheep lurking in the android forums...:what::eek:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
And neither do Android phones...

I"m no android expert but I did have two evo's on sprint and the orginal evo had charging port issues, basically the port got loose and the phone didn't charge, this is a known defect and sprint didn't want to fix it but I had to scream and shout to get it down.

I have a iphone 5, it's a boring phone compared to the android world but anyone who says iphones are built like crap and really full of it.

The 5 is pretty bulletproof, the only thing I've seen so far is a couple shattered screens.

They went with the aluminum back after the 4/4s fail of glass shattering the back of the phone after a drop.

I have no dog in this fight but some of you hate apple so much you can't think straight at all.

The iphone is a well built phone with little to no issues. Mines is launch day and still going strong.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The galaxy nexus is a plastic pos with low volume, terrible battery life and a crappy camera. What you're paying for is stock android and to be able to say "I have a stock nexus device"

I don't get this, people criticize apple's method of updates and say people buy the same things over again with little improvments but since the iphone 4 what did you get?

Good battery life
good camera that got better each year
good battery life (4 and 4s is better than the 5 in that department)

So you paid money to test software because the rest of the phone was crap.

I actually have great respect for people who have the s4, it's pretty close to the iphone all across the board, good battery, camera and pretty fast.

But NEXUS... that's a pretty bad example.

Market to nerds and give them crap in every other area but they buy since it's a "Nexus"

Don't criticize apple when google does the same thing "NEXUS"

Nexus 4 is cheap but I'll take a iphone over it any day of the week.

I'll take a s4 over a iphone though.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The galaxy nexus is a plastic pos with low volume, terrible battery life and a crappy camera. What you're paying for is stock android and to be able to say "I have a stock nexus device"

I don't get this, people criticize apple's method of updates and say people buy the same things over again with little improvments but since the iphone 4 what did you get?

Good battery life
good camera that got better each year
good battery life (4 and 4s is better than the 5 in that department)

So you paid money to test software because the rest of the phone was crap.

I actually have great respect for people who have the s4, it's pretty close to the iphone all across the board, good battery, camera and pretty fast.

But NEXUS... that's a pretty bad example.

Market to nerds and give them crap in every other area but they buy since it's a "Nexus"

Don't criticize apple when google does the same thing "NEXUS"

Nexus 4 is cheap but I'll take a iphone over it any day of the week.

I'll take a s4 over a iphone though.

You realize that the Galaxy Nexus is two years old, right?

The N4 has hardware that beats the iPhone and nearly matches the GS4, build feel that beats the GS4, software that bests both the iPhone and the GS4, and all at a price that annihilates the iPhone and GS4.

So... your point?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I"m no android expert but I did have two evo's on sprint and the orginal evo had charging port issues, basically the port got loose and the phone didn't charge, this is a known defect and sprint didn't want to fix it but I had to scream and shout to get it down.

I have a iphone 5, it's a boring phone compared to the android world but anyone who says iphones are built like crap and really full of it.

The 5 is pretty bulletproof, the only thing I've seen so far is a couple shattered screens.

They went with the aluminum back after the 4/4s fail of glass shattering the back of the phone after a drop.

I have no dog in this fight but some of you hate apple so much you can't think straight at all.

The iphone is a well built phone with little to no issues. Mines is launch day and still going strong.

I'm pretty sure that your personal experience with a small handful of phones does not accurately relate to real-world numbers.

Honestly, it's silly to argue over which phones have less problems; no one has the actual statistics so all we can do is just throw anecdotal evidence at each other.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You realize that the Galaxy Nexus is two years old, right?

The N4 has hardware that beats the iPhone and nearly matches the GS4, build feel that beats the GS4, software that bests both the iPhone and the GS4, and all at a price that annihilates the iPhone and GS4.

So... your point?

That the nexus is a developers device that's not even considered a smartphone to many, poor camera and a crap battery.

Point stands that people rag on the iphone for being non-inovattive but forget the basics of what a smartphone should do.

Nexus cameras are crap, battery is crap...

Six months a newer, better device with a better processor comes out and you switch.

To me, Nexus is trash period.

It's a nerd device for a niche few.

Status
Not open for further replies.