S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
My Ip5 has more lag them the GS4 (I have never had any lag issues with my androids, going way back to the Droid), the IP5 is worse now since updating to IOS7, which by the way, most of the people at our office that upgraded hate it, we all think it is ugly.

My friend has an iPhone 4 and with IOS 7 and it takes me about 5 seconds to do something before it freezes and reboots. I've also seen the thing spaz out before where the whole screen will rotate from portrait to landscape very quickly before rebooting. I've seen similar issues on my friends iPhone 5. I'm rocking a galaxy s3 and I laugh at them when their phone screws up. A lot of them also hate the new look of IOS 7

Last edited:

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
This thread has been very entertaining. I'm gonna throw in my tuppence worth regarding lag on Android phones. A lot of people tend to forget to clear the system cache when they do a factory reset. That's what I've found when it comes to the S3. I'll shut up now and get back to munching my popcorn and lurking.......

Sent using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 4

I'm usually on Twitter @Ichi_Bear ;-)

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
From what I have been told, 3rd party launchers, etc. make a lot of difference. I just can't justify that much money, and worry about lag, because I'm sure that I wouldn't be one of the lucky ones.:(

The problem here is that you have not really used the S4. So, not to be mean, but you can't begin to discuss lag on that device. Again, not to be insulting, but your conclusions seem to be totally based on what some friends told you.

I use IOS 7 and My S4 every day. Both have their annoyances. I have zero lag (zero, as in none, zip, zilch) with either my apple or Android devices. I did take the time to optimize my S4, which is probably why I am "lucky". In the world of tech, I have found that luck usually translates to be willing to take the time to actually learn how to use something.

For me, I like my IOS devices for their elegance, stability, and integration, I think IOS 7 is really pretty and likedit from the moment I upgraded. I am actually typing this post using it!

But, I find the S4 and my Nexus 7 a lot more fun to play with and I have found it much easier to overcome limitations on Android due to the customization.

Both systems also have killer features that I badly miss. I miss iMessage on my S4, and I could barely text without swype on the iPhone. And, the integration with google apps is a bit nicer on Android.

I would not say one OS is clearly superior to the other, but I will stay with my s4.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The problem here is that you have not really used the S4. So, not to be mean, but you can't begin to discuss lag on that device. Again, not to be insulting, but your conclusions seem to be totally based on what some friends told you.

Actually, I can discuss it, as I have read hundreds of posts on this and other sites that are written by owners of the S4, and they are having lag issues. And, if I am reading correctly, you are saying that you had to optimize the S4 so there would be no lag. That shouldn't have to be done on a device that costs that much. I shouldn't have said that I have never had one, because I did get one and return it within the VZW 14 day period. I just don't consider less than 2 weeks as ownership. I returned it mainly for battery life, but it did have the lag issue. But that occurred before the update.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I can discuss it, as I have read hundreds of posts on this and other sites that are written by owners of the S4, and they are having lag issues. And, if I am reading correctly, you are saying that you had to optimize the S4 so there would be no lag. That shouldn't have to be done on a device that costs that much. I shouldn't have said that I have never had one, because I did get one and return it within the VZW 14 day period. I just don't consider less than 2 weeks as ownership. I returned it mainly for battery life, but it did have the lag issue. But that occurred before the update.
So in short, you're saying he's right.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
So in short, you're saying he's right.

No, I'm not. He said that my opinion was TOTALLY based on what friends told me, which isn't so. I did have one for about 10 days, and it had the lag along with the bad battery life, but I thought that the update would have fixed it. Obviously, it didn't, as the complaints are still going on. It just seems as though an S4 owner cannot use TW and not have lag issues. It shouldn't be that way. I have been using the Moto X, and it flies. It is truly the first Android phone that I have ever had with zero lag, and that is with a OEM skin. Why can't Samsung do that?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Obviously, it didn't, as the complaints are still going on
But you haven't put two and two together and realized that people on forums, in this case you, are saying it's lagging after the update even though they don't have any direct experience with it? The update could very well have (and absolutely did in my case) fix the lag but it can't stop people who don't have the phone from saying there still is lag. If you were to cite, "I read it on an online forum" in any sort of situation where fact checking is at all important (published papers, news sources, court rooms, a high school English class, etc) you'd be laughed out of the building. It's just as good of a source as, "I just made it up myself."

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
But you haven't put two and two together and realized that people on forums, in this case you, are saying it's lagging after the update even though they don't have any direct experience with it? The update could very well have (and absolutely did in my case) fix the lag but it can't stop people who don't have the phone from saying there still is lag. If you were to cite, "I read it on an online forum" in any sort of situation where fact checking is at all important (published papers, news sources, court rooms, a high school English class, etc) you'd be laughed out of the building. It's just as good of a source as, "I just made it up myself."

What I read on the forums and put credence in are actual S4 owners, not non-owners. That, plus personal friends of mine that actually have the phone, and still have lag after the update. I don't think that they would lie about it, plus I have seen it on their phones.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

The "optimizing" required shutting down some junk I wasn't using, and few other minor twinks. It took me maybe 10 minutes to do. If you are not willing to do some minor setting up like that, than I think an iPhone makes more sense than Android.

And, btw, its not like iPhones don't need setting up to.

In any case, I would suggest that you ought not to be definitely making statements about lag and how only "lucky" owners don't have lag when, in fact, you'd never used the latest version of the S4 interface and appear not to have done any real setup or housekeeping on the S4 you had for a grand total of two weeks.

I, on the other hand, live with IOS and Android on a daily basis.

Lag is a nonissue with either system.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
What I read on the forums and put credence in are actual S4 owners, not non-owners. That, plus personal friends of mine that actually have the phone, and still have lag after the update. I don't think that they would lie about it, plus I have seen it on their phones.

I am an actual owner. I use my S4 every day. As I said, I also use various IOS devices every day as well (mostly my iPad, but also an iPhone 4).

You are simply not correct about the lag. It isn't there.

And, I'm still seeing that your source of info is what a friend told you and what you read on chatboards.

In other words, hearsay rather than actual experience.

What makes this debate between systems so sterile sometimes is that folk on both sides want to believe what they have is best while never having had any real experience with the alternative.

That is true of the fanboys on both side of the discussion (and, I am specifically NOT calling you a fanboy - that is a general comment about all the nuts you read on the various blogs and ethusiast sites).

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My friend has an iPhone 4 and with IOS 7 and it takes me about 5 seconds to do something before it freezes and reboots. I've also seen the thing spaz out before where the whole screen will rotate from portrait to landscape very quickly before rebooting. I've seen similar issues on my friends iPhone 5. I'm rocking a galaxy s3 and I laugh at them when their phone screws up. A lot of them also hate the new look of IOS 7

I am getting some issues with the music player starting songs over several times, have to go back out to home screen to clear it up and Siri will self activate for some reason once in a while. It was doing this before the IOS7, was hopping IOS7 would help, but no such luck.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

My thoughts exactly!
:thumbup:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I am getting some issues with the music player starting songs over several times, have to go back out to home screen to clear it up and Siri will self activate for some reason once in a while. It was doing this before the IOS7, was hopping IOS7 would help, but no such luck.

Apple has really dropped the ball without Steve behind the wheel. The amount of problems I experienced with IOS 6 when I had an iPhone and the amount of problems I'm seeing on my friends iPhones with IOS 7 is absolutely unacceptable and below the standard for Apple.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
And millions of others who have the phone!

Remember, the majority of time people post anything on the internet is to report or find out why they are having problems with their device.

So, I can't speak of lag because of limited on hand experience. But he has experience with one phone, and he can speak for millions? Lol!:p

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So, I can't speak of lag because of limited on hand experience. But he has experience with one phone, and he can speak for millions? Lol!:p

No. All we're saying is that your "S4 is no good because of lag" holds no merit when there are millions of other who don't have it. You only see problems people are having online because the majority of time that is when people post about their device the most. Don't get it twisted Mr. Yankee fan!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.