Galaxy S4 - Gallery Freezing and Force Closing

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got my wife an S4 a few days ago. Her gallery app is continuously lagging, freezing, and force closing, and today is our daughter's 1st birthday - so it's causing a bit of an issue. I've tried everything I can think of, but it keeps doing it. She's on the update right before 4.3. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I've read a factory reset doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks.

thewatrb0y

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got my wife an S4 a few days ago. Her gallery app is continuously lagging, freezing, and force closing, and today is our daughter's 1st birthday - so it's causing a bit of an issue. I've tried everything I can think of, but it keeps doing it. She's on the update right before 4.3. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I've read a factory reset doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks.

I don't use the Gallery for several reasons but you can try to Clear Cache or Clear Data in the Application Manager.

Another option would be to download a replacement from the playstore. QuickPic is one of the best ones I've found in the market and use this as a gallery replacement app.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the Gallery for several reasons but you can try to Clear Cache or Clear Data in the Application Manager.

Another option would be to download a replacement from the playstore. QuickPic is one of the best ones I've found in the market and use this as a gallery replacement app.

I cleared the Cache and force closed the app. It worked for a minute and then lags and freezes up. I had my wife download QuickPic and that isn't working either. I have no clue what's going on. I have an S4 and have had NONE of these issues.

John House Jr

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have tried all that I found posted on web sights trying to correct this problem, I found with mine that the second sd card I running on my gal 3, had about three pics on it, and my sd card that came with phone had all the rest of my pics, I deleted the pics off my ext sd card and my problem went away, done this two weeks ago, no freezing, no problem with gallery at all, hopes this helps.

UrRoadkill

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I have tried all that I found posted on web sights trying to correct this problem, I found with mine that the second sd card I running on my gal 3, had about three pics on it, and my sd card that came with phone had all the rest of my pics, I deleted the pics off my ext sd card and my problem went away, done this two weeks ago, no freezing, no problem with gallery at all, hopes this helps.

I too came to the conclusion it's the external memory (SD-card) that allowed this issue to happen. Because when removing the SD-card from the phone, this issue did not occur. I use the Samsung Galaxy S4 ( I9505 / 16GB internal memory). Before updating to JellyBean 4.3 this did not happen, this may or may not be a coincidence, though I think it is. I have a Kingston 8GB SD card. Deleting a few files like John says is an option according to his post, but I would suggest you just save what you can, delete what is corrupted and format the external memory. This might be time consuming, but at least you keep some of your valued memories and you are sure about a fresh start.

Below I wrote down all my actions of the last few hours, some sort of a journal you might say. But first I make it a short version ( All actions are at your own risk, but I don't see any mayor risks to take into account):
- If possible save your files from the SD card (ext mem.) to your computer. When saving gets stuck or ends premature, abort and try again excluding the file it was last working on (most likely file first listed). Depending on how important a file might be to you you might try it a few times with one file at a time before you give up/in and delete what's left.
- Delete corrupted files that won't open/copy/move. (Yes gone for ever. Be my guest to search and find some repair or retrieval tool, but perhaps that makes this whole process obsolete)
- Then format the SDcard (I chose first NTSF on Notebook, then another formatting on the device that will standard make it FAT32)
- Rewrite all data back from computer
- Finally place back SD into device

...and now you should be fine again. Of course use 'save methods to remove' the card from device and/or computer.
If you do not have computer, you can just save data from external to internal memory, or on some cloud if you wish and perform the formatting of the EXTERNAL(!!!) memory from device. So all can be done without removing SD from device. I'm no wizzkid, so if someone has any comment about this procedure I'm not offended. Perhaps someone with more skills could rewrite this into an even better help-guide. I would not have come to this post without the post of John, so thank you John!

I would not suggest, I repeat NOT suggest, a factory reset. All you loose is all you care about (pictures, data, etc.) but the issue remains. I found out the hard way! And yes I backup up the works, but still you loose like pictures from WhatsApp and stuff.

My Journal:
John's suggestion sounds sane. Working on it now. Atm only 83 pics on the SD and the relocation is no fun. The process crashes multiple times. And so far only 34 have been transferred. Perhaps one or more area's of the SD are damaged and so I try to skip one or two here and there. The process of transferring a few MB's is slow at it's best. Atm I transferred 7 pictures in about 2 or 3 minutes. Which translates to about 7MBytes per minute or 2KBytes p/sec. Which is sloooooooooooooooooow..... At some point during the first 34 pictures about 25 pictures went in a few seconds. So I will check the SD card for memory damage after the pictures have been moved. And after I made a back up of all other data on the SD card. Come to think of it sometimes my music doesn't load as well. Or so I think, it just might be 'paranoia' now. Another 17 pics have been moved in last 9 minutes. This time I clocked it. So actual transfer rate is about 1KB/s. I think that's weird because if an area is damaged it just should move at all. Let's hope I can save all data and after that a 'format' would do the trick. When the photos have been moved I will move the SD to my laptop. I have more confidence copying the files will go faster and the formatting process will too. another 9 pictures too another 6 minutes. 3 pictures get stuck and I get a failure report. I have to consider them corrupted. Hopefully they were saved to Dropbox before issues occurred.

At the moment I'm moving a little over 2,5 GB of music to my computer. A nice 13,6-14,13 MB/s transfer rate is now fact. However when I tried to move the other folders it did not go so well. So I copied what I could and left the rest there. No problems with the music, so any issues with that must have been some side effect or what ever. Hopefully It will not return.

After some research I decided to first format to NTSF in the Notebook, then put it in the SG-S4 to format it into FAT32 again. Then back into the laptop/notebook too put the saved data back. At first it seemed not to be recognized but clearly that was human error, because after taking it out, some wiping and huffing and puffing I put it back and it got recognized immediately. I'm not entirely sure what size of cluster I used, I know it was 4096 when formatting to NTSF. Don't know what Android made it into with the FAT32. 32 seems logic, but I'm sure my phone knows best what's best.
Unfortunately writing started at 1,8 MB/s and is now half way through at about 3,9MB/s. At about 90% of placing data back on the SD it was at about 4,1MB/s. But to be fair, I only paid 7,99 euro for this card. However 2,55 GB now takes a bit longer to copy. But it's normal writing is slower then reading. So no problem there.

Music works fine. Feels like it works faster atm, but that might not be true, just the experience. So.... the real test was taking pictures and then open them from Camera, My Documents/Files (in Dutch: 'Mijn bestanden') en of course from Galery. All 3 options gave a satisfying result. So I'm happy again!

Hope you got it back to normal too.

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same trouble with mine. Sorry this doesn't help, but it's almost reassuring to hear someone else having the same problem as you.

Posted via Android Central App

UrRoadkill

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the exact same trouble with mine. Sorry this doesn't help, but it's almost reassuring to hear someone else having the same problem as you.

Posted via Android Central App

Hi Michaela,

Did you try using the Gallery after you removed the external memory (SDcard/flash), so without any ext. mem. in the device? Perhaps your SD might be broken all together. Or do you have like a billion pictures on it? I mean the phone is fast, but no miracle worker :p

In general:
I now save my pictures to the device. When on WiFi (setting you should use to not get billed for excessive pictures will be saved to DropBox and my Notebook instantly, so I can wipe old pics when I want AND still look into them with the DropBoxApp. Great thing is T&C state you're pictures are yours and yours alone. Other's might have shared copyright, I actually didn't look into T&C of MySpace and other clouds so I'm not saying they do.

For those not 'getting' dropbox with the device, click here for DropBox if you don't have it but want it anyway. With the right device and some action there's about 70GB one could get. But there must be others that offer a similar deal. To me the guaranteed privacy was what it did it for me. Due to the App I can still look into the thousands of pictures (small versions are being saved on your phone, so now I have 3736 items covering only 157MB of space). And when you want to take a good look at the picture you can simply download the original. Downside is, 48GB which came with the device is only for 2 years, most likely that can be renewed when you get a new phone (good marketing strategy I think). The other about 20 GB's you need to release by doing simple tasks varying from linking to Facebook, inviting friends or even just as simple as uploading pictures. So this is how you can save a lot of space and thus keeping your phone faster. Besides this way you can use the phone for important stuff like Apps and games and music and video's, haha.

After I cleaned my SD I decided it was good for storing music and a system back up of all my Apps.

Anyway, please try using the Gallery without the external memory in the device. If it works fine at least you now now the phone is fine and the external memory is corrupted. Device and SD-card (ext mem.) should both have sufficient warranty if one or both turn out to work not properly. So back to the store it is.If it was an on-line purchase in combination with a plan. The provider (T-Mobile, Vodafone, etc) should be able to tell you where to go. In the Netherlands where I live I can go to both the store I bought the phone as well as the Vodafone stores. On-line stores often are linked to phone store chains. So with a little research sending your device away for a few weeks isn't really necessary and help is around the corner.

Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty