New Spam Popups

Ameer Nuub

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Out of nowhere, my phone has been taken over by ads. Not completely, but whenever you unlock the phone from sleep, and periodically while using (at random functions).

After unlocking from sleep, it usually opens a web page with some ?you?ve won? crap. Other times it is a system type popup with a list of apps for download. It has also randomly taken me to the ?groupon? ap in GOOGLE APS.

Hopefully this is a common recent event that is widespread that someone will recognize and be able to tell me what it is? but I know it?s likely that it?s one of those things that no one will be able to just identify on the spot, like any other spam / virus.

My hope is that someone can at least tell me a way that I can find out for myself what started this crap. As everyone knows, multiple apps are updating all day every day, so I'm not able to pin down any specific period. I don't use a lot of aps, and the ones I choose are "reputable" ones that I expect I shouldn't have to worry about switching to something like this. I already use TrustGo, and the only thing it detected from a scan was "identity leak" candidates, which they pretty much all do. There really should be some serious North Korean prison time involved for scum that do this.

Really appreciate any help.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Out of nowhere, my phone has been taken over by ads. Not completely, but whenever you unlock the phone from sleep, and periodically while using (at random functions).

After unlocking from sleep, it usually opens a web page with some “you’ve won” crap. Other times it is a system type popup with a list of apps for download. It has also randomly taken me to the “groupon” ap in GOOGLE APS.

Hopefully this is a common recent event that is widespread that someone will recognize and be able to tell me what it is… but I know it’s likely that it’s one of those things that no one will be able to just identify on the spot, like any other spam / virus.

My hope is that someone can at least tell me a way that I can find out for myself what started this crap. As everyone knows, multiple apps are updating all day every day, so I'm not able to pin down any specific period. I don't use a lot of aps, and the ones I choose are "reputable" ones that I expect I shouldn't have to worry about switching to something like this. I already use TrustGo, and the only thing it detected from a scan was "identity leak" candidates, which they pretty much all do. There really should be some serious North Korean prison time involved for scum that do this.

Really appreciate any help.
Go to system settings > applications > running and see which apps are running that shouldn't be. That would likely be the culprit. If nothing is present and you are still receiving the pop-ups, then the issue can be attributed to a rogue app running in the background when it shouldn't.

Consider a factory reset after backing up your data to clear the issue for sure.

Hornsby16

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Have a search for a tool on the play store called 'malware bytes' if you get the chance, that'll kill any nasties manifesting inside :)

Ameer Nuub

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Did it work for you?

Hmm... it's not looking like it. I did a scan with both Airpush and Malwarebytes, and it found nothing. I noticed that it leaves several web pages open after force opening googleplay; sites like adtrack.king.com, ad-x.co.uk, hastrk1, etc. I don't understand how these sites, companies, and people can exist when it is known they hijack.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this new kind of ad as pop ups need a new approach for catching the app that caused this.
Using its need for data for to build this ad for the pop up.

I take it that this culprit app needs data for its pop up. You could proof this when there wouldn't pop ups while you switch off mobile data and WiFi.

I use an app which logs the background data of apps, 'Network Connections' from Play Store.
Install and run the app (start Live Capture) ... and after the ad pops up you might see an active app that should not sending/receiving data.

Ryan Dale2

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... it's not looking like it. I did a scan with both Airpush and Malwarebytes, and it found nothing. I noticed that it leaves several web pages open after force opening googleplay; sites like adtrack.king.com, ad-x.co.uk, hastrk1, etc. I don't understand how these sites, companies, and people can exist when it is known they hijack.

Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I googled an issue I am having with my Galaxy s2, and it sounds like I have the EXACT same problem as you Ameer.

I have downloaded Airpush and Bitdfender, both find nothing. Its also really annoying me because I believe it has be sucking large amounts of data. I have an overage on my data usage now because of it. Even when I am wifi I can see that the little download arrow is almost constantly lit up. I worry that whatever this malware is, might be sucking some personal info too.

If anyone figures out what is causing this, please let me know!

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I installed an app from the Play Store that was Guns N' Roses ring tones. I loved that app, until it started taking my phone over with ads. Holy smokes!! The ads were everywhere, so I just deleted the app and the ads vvanished.so, go through your aps and delete ones you rarely use and see if that works.

kandigirl702

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same issue. Pop ups every time I opened my stock messaging app. I deleted apps trying to figure out which one it was, downloaded a lookout scanner thats one function was to find apps that force pop ups, didn't work. Finally I found airpush detector, did a scan, and it turned out to be the walmart app! I didn't think it would be a major corporations app. Anyway, long story short, download airpush detector :).

Frausadrabil

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so you need so download a antivirus that has a firewall thing (im using avast) and just block the apps (usually no icons and no name) and it's done, but you need a root permission-:

James Dean4

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I just had this issue now. Admittedly I had download a couple shady apks. It was actually really easy to get rid of. I waited for an ad to pop up, I hit the home button, then the recent apps button. The ad was in the list of recent aps but had no name or icon. I held my thumb where the icon should have been and it took me to the app info page in settings. I cleared its cache and data, turned off notifications and then hit uninstall. It successfully uninstalled and haven't had a pop up since. 👍

andre cuffie1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I googled an issue I am having with my Galaxy s2, and it sounds like I have the EXACT same problem as you Ameer.

I have downloaded Airpush and Bitdfender, both find nothing. Its also really annoying me because I believe it has be sucking large amounts of data. I have an overage on my data usage now because of it. Even when I am wifi I can see that the little download arrow is almost constantly lit up. I worry that whatever this malware is, might be sucking some personal info too.

If anyone figures out what is causing this, please let me know!

You can also activate your developer option, go into running services and go through to see what app is running that you don't recognise or didn't download. That's most likely the app. I had this exact same problem and this solved it without me having to download any of those things

A_pearr

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The sae thing is happening to me idk what to do its so often now and its bugging the hell out of me i watch netflix on my phone and every few minuites it pops up with an add for wish i deleted wish and it still pops up ive deleted all the apps ive downloaded since but nothing changes

jacquesgbr

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem and found that in my running apps there was an app without icon that was running. I uninstalled it and my problem was fixed