"Call" (dialer") icon deleted by guy at party, how to reinstall stock dialer?

bluejean46514

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey, i'm older, this galaxy s4 is my first smartphone. I had an "update" from android, and after I updated, I could no longer add new contacts to my contact list. Mentioned this at a party, some guy who said he knew how to fix that, took my phone, and I saw him clicking on the "force stop" and I asked him, "are you SURE you should do that?"
and he replied, "oh yes, yes, I do this all the time to my son's phone"
and i'm not sure what all else he did,
but now
my "call" icon and my contacts are gone. Can't dial the phone. no, it's not in the "play store".
So I ran to sprint store, they had not seen a missing stock dialer before.:'(

and they did locate the file for the stock dialer, but could not reinstall it. They randomly chose some dialer from the play store, and installed that one, but, it's terrible, covered with ads, no features at all.
And my contact list is now all jumbled together, (but, luckily, IS still there, but now, all 500 emails are now jumbled in with phone numbers, it's a nightmare).

They said, i'll probably have to wipe phone, and go to factory defaults, and lose Everything in the phone.
so HERE'S MY QUESTIONS:
What would YOU do, if this was your phone, would you wipe it out, to get stock dialer and contact format back?

ANYONE HERE KNOW HOW TO REINSTALL THE STOCK DIALER ON GS4?
(If so, please be Very specific, cuz I am older, don't know all the lingo) It is a stock, store-bought phone, not rooted.

ANYONE HERE know how to back up my Polaris documents in case my phone DOES have to be wiped out?

WHICH PLAY STORE DIALER IS BEST ONE, in case I decide to NOT wipe out my phone..

WHICH BACK UP PLAN OR APP is best one ?? in case I decide I will just back up what I can, and wipe phone out.

and yes, yes, I've learned my lesson, don't let guys at parties mess with my phone....ha.

Last edited:

cachun402

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. Whoever the guy is was a total ***** but the only thing I can think of is to do a hard reset on your phone that would delete everything you on there and make like brand new just make sure you have an sd card or back up all your pictures

Posted via Android Central App

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't done the factory/hard reset yet, you might try this first: It shouldn't really be possible to uninstall the stock dialer app (Phone), no matter how skillful the Nimrod at the party was. It should only be possible to turn it off (disable it), and that's easy to undo (though perhaps not easy enough for the other Nimrods at the Sprint store). From the Home screen, tap the Menu button, then Settings, then the More tab, then Application manager. Scroll the column headings at the top toward the right, past Running and All to Turned off. Look to see if Phone is in that Turned off list, and if it is, just tap it and then tap the Turn on button. If that's what happened, this will fix it easily.

Snodles

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Great thanks so much.... quick easy fix without having to restore phone. :) we have been trying to suss this since my little man seemed to have deleted this October last year.

Cindy Cappolla-Lois

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello I finally figured out how to fix this problem. Go to settings then to more on the top right and then click the app manager . There is a menu on the top that says downloaded, running, all... If you look through the list of each one of those categories you will find the dialer. Once you see it go to the very bottom left of the phone next to the home button and click the shadow menu button. It will say Reset application preferences. Click that and it should restore to home screen some where. I hope this helps

cageyeuclid

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Brill Fix by Dave-
The trend has no "Turned Off" but the Phone and Contacts Icons can be found under "All"
Re: Samsung Galaxy trend
The Contacts Icon must be enabled before the Phone icon will enable itself

wittywizard

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
in my case the app had got deleted and disabled

this is what worked for me:
settings> installed apps > all > more > reset app preferences

now I am able to save contacts again. Hope this helps to all users facing this issue/

Chitz201

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I also have the same problem on my Cherry Mobile Infinix Pure. Just got fixed it yesterday. Good thing that I already backed up my system before it happened. I have a stock app and its components .odex file. Just download it here.

Instruction:

1. Download the "Priv-app" here https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreeApplications/1018669731564845/.
2. Extract it.
3. Copy "Dialer.apk and Dialer.odex File.
4. Paste it in \system\priv-app on your android phone.
5. Press and hold Dialer.apk and click properties.
6. Uncheck all boxes except read only.
7. Click OK and Reboot.

Thatsss alll. Hope it might help you.

Lorna64

Jun 1, 2018
Visit site
If you haven't done the factory/hard reset yet, you might try this first: It shouldn't really be possible to uninstall the stock dialer app (Phone), no matter how skillful the Nimrod at the party was. It should only be possible to turn it off (disable it), and that's easy to undo (though perhaps not easy enough for the other Nimrods at the Sprint store). From the Home screen, tap the Menu button, then Settings, then the More tab, then Application manager. Scroll the column headings at the top toward the right, past Running and All to Turned off. Look to see if Phone is in that Turned off list, and if it is, just tap it and then tap the Turn on button. If that's what happened, this will fix it easily.

Thank you very much. No one could help me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87