Water Damage - Phone won't boot

ArslanS

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I recently had a problem where my S4 was in the laundry. Luckily, I was able to get it out after 5 minutes with a hard case on it and it was still in my pocket. The phone's LED notification was working, along with the lights near the home button. However, the screen would stay black. I immediately took out the battery (which had the red notification saying it was water damaged), the SD card, and the sim card. I put everything in a bag of rice after drying it and I let it sit for about 24 hours.

At this point I realized that the phone must be dry, so I took it out. I dissembled the phone and used 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the motherboard and all of the other parts with a toothbrush. There wasn't any noticeable oxidation (white powder) on any of the parts. Once that was done, I reassembled it and put in a new battery. Nothing. I decided to clean it once more a few hours later and nothing happened when I held the power button. I also tried charging it, and that did nothing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do? It would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I recently had a problem where my S4 was in the laundry. Luckily, I was able to get it out after 5 minutes with a hard case on it and it was still in my pocket. The phone's LED notification was working, along with the lights near the home button. However, the screen would stay black. I immediately took out the battery (which had the red notification saying it was water damaged), the SD card, and the sim card. I put everything in a bag of rice after drying it and I let it sit for about 24 hours.

At this point I realized that the phone must be dry, so I took it out. I dissembled the phone and used 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the motherboard and all of the other parts with a toothbrush. There wasn't any noticeable oxidation (white powder) on any of the parts. Once that was done, I reassembled it and put in a new battery. Nothing. I decided to clean it once more a few hours later and nothing happened when I held the power button. I also tried charging it, and that did nothing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do? It would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Well, I would send in to warranty. Just hope they don't get you for tampering with it.

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that the powering on earlier fried the last important circuts. You should probably see if a repair technichian can give you a damage assesment (examples include smart friends, those at your local computer store, etc.)

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Does the phone boot into recovery or download mode?

Posted via Android Central App

ArslanS

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that the powering on earlier fried the last important circuts. You should probably see if a repair technichian can give you a damage assesment (examples include smart friends, those at your local computer store, etc.)

I will plan on doing that if I run out of any viable options. However, after it got wet, the LEDs/lights didn't stop working until I took out the battery.

Does the phone boot into recovery or download mode?

Posted via Android Central App

I can't enter either modes.

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I will plan on doing that if I run out of any viable options. However, after it got wet, the LEDs/lights didn't stop working until I took out the battery.

I can't enter either modes.

This i believe is because the LEDs and the notification light are lights, not essential circutboard componets. These could easily have lighted themselves on small circuts that aren't important except for lighting the lights.

ArslanS

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
This i believe is because the LEDs and the notification light are lights, not essential circutboard componets. These could easily have lighted themselves on small circuts that aren't important except for lighting the lights.

Alright, thank you. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45