Stock messaging app sucks

ReMarkable2112

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I send (or try to) animated gif I get error message saying mms too large. More and more everyday I wish I had my moto RAZR back.. Never a issue with that phone.

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Rashawn29

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I send (or try to) animated gif I get error message saying mms too large. More and more everyday I wish I had my moto RAZR back.. Never a issue with that phone.

It should resize the file for you before sending it at least that's what mine does.

Update : Well I just tried, and I guess it doesn't resize gifs like it does with pictures and videos.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Animated gifs cannot be resized, so some are just too large for MMS.
Normal pictures can be resized.

Posted via Android Central App

ReMarkable2112

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Animated gifs cannot be resized, so some are just too large for MMS.
Normal pictures can be resized.

Posted via Android Central App

My old razr m always sent animated gifs without a problem I believe I had with this s4 without a problem now that I think about it..until the 4.4.2 update

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't see any settings to change mms limits on same carrier as my moto was..no problem with that phone

"Although the standard does not specify a maximum size for a message, 300 kB is the current recommended size used by networks due to some limitations on the WAP gateway side." --Pulled from link below.

Multimedia Messaging Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This limit is not something you can change without calling your carrier and requesting it. Most use the 300k as their limit even tho there is no technical size limit set in the MMS framework but actual limits within their network.

ReMarkable2112

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
All I'm saying is my razr m handled animated gifs with it's stock messaging app. The S4 does not. Ive only just recently switched to this s4 so I doubt that it is carrier related.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You still want to leave out what the size of these files are. Which are likely over 300k and maybe before you were sending smaller ones? To me these seem like important details to be left out unless they are the obvious reason.

Or maybe you didn't ever notice that the Razr M was descaling the files to fit the required 300k before sending? Now since you know the 300k size limit maybe find these details out?

Gentoo7

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
On the stock SMS app I'm not sure if it has the option to change the MMS size limit. I use GO SMS PRO and you can go into settings and then change the size limit to the highest which is 5M, but you would need to make sure you were on the 4G network. You should always have your wifi off anyways while sending a MMS to someone. If you tried switching to a different app it should fix your problem that you are having.

ReMarkable2112

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
On the stock SMS app I'm not sure if it has the option to change the MMS size limit. I use GO SMS PRO and you can go into settings and then change the size limit to the highest which is 5M, but you would need to make sure you were on the 4G network. You should always have your wifi off anyways while sending a MMS to someone. If you tried switching to a different app it should fix your problem that you are having.

I may look at a different one. Textra looks pretty good

ReMarkable2112

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Switched from crappy s4 messaging app to hangouts and sending animated gifs mms works perfectly. I knew it was the app all along.