Transfering Mp3s

rmbelson

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
New user of an S4. Got a 64GB Samsung EVO SD card to hold my music. Put SD card into card reader and used Win 7 to copy ~2K tunes to the sd card. Almost a third of them arrived corrupted, though fine on PC. Samsung says I can only transfer 10 files at once or problems happen. Gonna take forever. Is there a smart way to do this automatically? Thanks for advice. I've also tried using my PC's music player (Foobar) to transfer, used Win Merge, etc. Hundreds and hundreds arrive corrupted and I have to start over.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
New user of an S4. Got a 64GB Samsung EVO SD card to hold my music. Put SD card into card reader and used Win 7 to copy ~2K tunes to the sd card. Almost a third of them arrived corrupted, though fine on PC. Samsung says I can only transfer 10 files at once or problems happen. Gonna take forever. Is there a smart way to do this automatically? Thanks for advice. I've also tried using my PC's music player (Foobar) to transfer, used Win Merge, etc. Hundreds and hundreds arrive corrupted and I have to start over.

Well, that's news to me since I transferred to my S4 thousands at a time with a card reader. I can't imagine what Samsung has to say when the card is in a separate card reader rather than the phone! It has nothing to do with them. It's just a card in a reader.

Start over..

--Format the card in the phone so that when you eventually pop it back in as loaded, it is less likely to show problems
--Unmount the card properly (Settings)
--Pop the card back in the card reader, transfer.
--Put it back in the phone, filled
-After you put the card back in the phone, check that it seems to be working and functioning by using Samsung's native file manager, My Files before trying to play with Foobar
--Play
You might try, if that doesn't work, the native music manager too just to make sure it isn't a Foobar issue.
Hopefully that works. It is also possible there are other issues, from a defective card to a defective card slot in the phone.

rmbelson

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for reply. One thought: I'm not using a reader exactly, I'm using a camera which takes the larger mini SD cards, so my micro card is tucked inside an adapter. Is it possible this could be the problem? I suppose I could get a reader, but I use these devices so seldom, I was hoping just to make use of what I have on hand. FYI, I'm mostly using windows 7 copy/paste to transfer files, not foobar, just wanted to note the problem exists on both methods.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for reply. One thought: I'm not using a reader exactly, I'm using a camera which takes the larger mini SD cards, so my micro card is tucked inside an adapter. Is it possible this could be the problem? I suppose I could get a reader, but I use these devices so seldom, I was hoping just to make use of what I have on hand. FYI, I'm mostly using windows 7 copy/paste to transfer files, not foobar, just wanted to note the problem exists on both methods.

It makes little sense to me, not that I'm the greatest expert, that the problem exists both on Windows and an Android app unless the card is corrupted. IN which case, formatting the card should really help, unless it is actually defective. You can try that formatting in the phone. But for transfers and other troubleshooting, you really need to get a card reader. I understand the hassle, but you can get a nice card reader with USB 3.0 support dirt cheap. This is what I got:

Amazon.com: Kingston USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader FCR-HS3: Electronics

But you can surely buy other types for half the price.

rmbelson

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, my camera is old, it uses a proprietary cable -- not sure how fast -- so maybe there's an issue with transfer rates that is causing the problems. I will get myself a reader, and after I test it out, will post again.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, my camera is old, it uses a proprietary cable -- not sure how fast -- so maybe there's an issue with transfer rates that is causing the problems. I will get myself a reader, and after I test it out, will post again.

Meanwhile, you can try formatting the card in the phone right now. Play around with copying some internal log files or whatever, something innocuous, from the internal memory of the phone to the card while in the phone, and after formatting in the phone, just to test the integrity of the card.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there a difference between formatting in the phone and formatting in a reader through windows 7?

Yes, depending on what you choose and how it's done. There are different formatting types. The one thing you can make sure of, the formatting type that your phone likes best is the only one your phone will use. There's no possibility of Windows formatting something in a way that confuses the phone if you format it in the phone. There's a lot of talk about this over the years and issues with formatting compatibility (especially with Samsung). Your card reader and Win7 should handle any type of formatting. Not necessarily so the phone.

The one thing you can say is: it can't hurt, it may definitely help. It may mean nothing. But it costs nothing to do it that way -- in phone, best shot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non