How do I get my phone off of the Samsung Custom screen with padlock?

Pattir118

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Phone stuck on Samsung Custom screen with padlock

My phone was having a problem and just kept rebooting over and over again and not staying on at all. I had not done anything different it just started this randomly. I tried different ways of powering up and was brought to the custom os screen. I may have hit the wrong button and now it is stuck on the custom screen. I tried bringing it to recovery mode and chose "erase data" it then came back to the custom screen, Can anything be done??? As much as I want the GS5 I dont want to be forced into an upgrade right now

Phone is NOT rooted
Any help will be greatly appreciated :'(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone stuck on Samsung Custom screen with padlock

The phone is under warranty. If you received an update, it could have aborted in the middle, causing that problem. In any event, the phone is under warranty. Bring it to the carrier and ask nicely if they would please fix it for you. (Normally they just have to reflash it and the worst part is waiting - the reflash takes a few minutes, but there might be 20 people ahead of you.) If they can't reflash it (because the update fried some hardware [one of my Note 3s had to be replaced for that]), they should replace the phone.

Your job is to convince them that you didn't do anything that would have caused the problem. You didn't root the phone, you didn't install a custom ROM, it just started having the reboot problem and you got stuck on the Custom screen. (The only way you could cause that by pressing the wrong buttons is to press buttons to put the phone into download mode, connect it to a computer and flash a custom ROM. Just pushing buttons wouldn't do it.)

The other problem is that any data on the phone that you don't have backed up somewhere else is gone. Pictures, videos, etc. You should always keep everything backed up. (There are dozens of large free cloud accounts.) If you enter all your contacts as Google Account contacts, they're at Google Contacts and the phone will pick them up when it's working again (or when you get a new one), as soon as you put in that Google account. But become a religious backer-upper. A file that's not backed up is a file you don't need. (And the baby will never take that first step again.)

Pattir118

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Phone stuck on Samsung Custom screen with padlock

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my phone is no longer under warranty with AT&T. I already brought it to them and they confirmed this. All of my data is backed up. I "religiously" back up my data as you suggested. I am looking for a work around as I do not have a warranty to rely on any longer. Thank you again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87