There are probably 30% of my Google Gmail contacts not showing up on my Samsung Galaxy S4. I have tried a Factory Default but still not working. I have the gmail app working plus added my google account to the email app. Both will not show the contacts.

Whenever I log into Gmail on my desktop, all contacts are there.
    03-04-2016 04:05 PM
    Go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your account]. Is Contacts checked on? Also, open the Contacts app, tap Menu>Settings>Contacts to Display, and make sure it's set to All.
    03-06-2016 02:31 PM
    Thanks. All settings are correct. After months of troubleshooting this, I finally took this into a Sprint store and took 2 hours for them to figure this out.
    Had to export my contacts. Upload them to an iPhone 5. pass that to a Galaxy S5 then finally had that sync to my S4. Not sure what google is doing but there is definitely a bug going on.
    B. Diddy and apexadam like this.
    03-07-2016 08:42 AM
    Same problem here with my galaxy s4. I'm with verizon. 44/60 of my gmail contacts show in android. All 60 of them show in gmail when I log in at my computer. All android settings correct (google syncs on and working, contacts to display = "all contacts", etc). I wouldn't have noticed but today I received a text from a frequent contact and only the phone number showed up. Sometime in the middle of the night they disappeared. Any details on how to fix this? Should I try exporting and doing something similar as OP?
    03-27-2016 10:18 PM
    I found a workaround that restores the lost contacts. Login to gmail (on a computer) and edit contacts, then just make a small change to all your contacts. The easiest thing to do is add a "star". I just added a star to all my contacts, then removed the star. The 30% or so of missing contacts will then reappear in android. I have no idea why this happens in the first place, but at least I got my contacts back.
    03-27-2016 11:11 PM
    Since January 2016 My Galaxy S4 fails to sync some contacts. There is no error. Google claims to Sync but contacts on my Google account suddenly disappear from my phone. The solutions in this thread suggested to edit the contact which worked on a few occasions but only temporarily and to edit 2800+ contacts is unreasonable. Am I alone in this? What are some solutions to this horror?
    04-15-2016 08:29 PM
    Merged contacts can also cause an issue with contacts not showing up. Tru entering the number in your phone and see what it shows up as. Separate contacts that may have merged during setup, or cause confusion because they are merged. (Several extensions in a large commercial operation for example )
    07-11-2016 09:13 PM
    Go to:
    Settings > Data usage > Android services > Restrict background data/services. (Make sure this is off).

Then:
    Settings > Accounts > (choose account) > sync contacts. (Must be on).
    Wait about two minutes and lemme know if you're good.

That's what worked for me.

✌amani!
    05-27-2017 04:22 AM
    Same problem here with my galaxy s4. I'm with verizon. 44/60 of my gmail contacts show in android. All 60 of them show in gmail when I log in at my computer. All android settings correct (google syncs on and working, contacts to display = "all contacts", etc). I wouldn't have noticed but today I received a text from a frequent contact and only the phone number showed up. Sometime in the middle of the night they disappeared. Any details on how to fix this? Should I try exporting and doing something similar as OP?
    For my case, I go to Google Contacts, found the disappeared contacts is stored under 'Other Contacts' group, I select those disappeared contacts, move it to My Contacts. My hp will sync the disappeared contacts. Hope it helps.
    01-23-2018 02:27 AM