I have had this unlocked phone for a year, and I used to be able to use Kies to connect to my computers (one desktop, one laptop, both run Windows 7), but that eventually stopped working--but I could still connect to download photos right to my hard drive. Now neither of my computers cannot recognize that a phone has been connected -- they both say "USB device not recognized." I have tried every possible way to reinstall drivers - through any version of Kies I can find, through "Smart Switch," through Samsung drivers by themselves, through having Windows search for drivers -- nothing works.

I know I need to upgrade the firmware, but that will only be possible if I can root the phone and then flash the firmware upgrade myself. And I can't do that if I can't connect my phone to my computer. (Since I foolishly bought an international version of the S4 to use on T-Mobile, I have never been able to upgrade the firmware or the Android version.)

My phone is running Android 4.4.2 and the baseband version is I9505XXUGNG2.

Any ideas?
    08-26-2016 11:57 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Have you also tried different USB cables?
    08-26-2016 12:38 PM
    Thanks -- I think that has to be my next step. Unfortunately the cable that came with the phone got damaged, so I have just ordered a new one from Samsung. I will report back when I've tried that.
    08-26-2016 02:31 PM
    Well I'm running out of ideas. The new usb cable didn't work, so since then I've successfully rooted my phone with an app (didn't need a usb connection!) and have since then been working on using mobile odin to flash new firmware. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to recognize the stock rom that I have copied onto my sd card. Does anyone have experience using mobile odin? I've copied the .tar.md5 file as instructed, but when I try the "open file" step, the program says "partition could not be found in file." It basically won't let me start the flashing. Any suggestions?
    09-02-2016 12:55 AM
    Are you following this guide? http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...interface.html
    09-02-2016 11:30 PM
    Plug in your USB Cable then drag down from the top of the screen.You will see a USB option notification. Select this and change to a "media device"!
    09-08-2016 11:42 PM