Share your Galaxy S5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
The comment wasn't for those who didn't edit them :)

It's just that after visiting all the different phone forums, it's a little frustrating to see so many edited shots when you're trying to figure out the potential of the camera.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I don't like when people used dumb Instagram-type filters, because they make a good photo look like a bad 1960s shot. But people should do things like adjust saturation/sharpness/contrast, and and anything else to make their image look better. Also, I can argue that a "raw" image doesn't really tell us much about the camera anyway. We know it's sharp, and we know the resolution is good because of the 16mp sensor. What other information are you hoping to get from an unprocessed image? I would rather see images that have been edited and tweaked to get the best out of them, not a bunch of boring, unsaturated, low-contrast images. When shooting from my SLR or compact camera, I always do some tweaking and post-process work to get the best out of the image file. Most professionals do this. Why shouldn't camera phone users do the same?

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't like when people used dumb Instagram-type filters, because they make a good photo look like a bad 1960s shot. But people should do things like adjust saturation/sharpness/contrast, and and anything else to make their image look better. Also, I can argue that a "raw" image doesn't really tell us much about the camera anyway. We know it's sharp, and we know the resolution is good because of the 16mp sensor. What other information are you hoping to get from an unprocessed image? I would rather see images that have been edited and tweaked to get the best out of them, not a bunch of boring, unsaturated, low-contrast images. When shooting from my SLR or compact camera, I always do some tweaking and post-process work to get the best out of the image file. Most professionals do this. Why shouldn't camera phone users do the same?
Most people using smartphones aren't professional photographers. I don't mind editing settings within the camera app. What does irk me is opening it on. A computer or on 3rd party software and editing it, then posting on here. I should clarify when I say I want to judge the default camera package, software and hardware, that comes with the Samsung, and seeing photos edited by things that don't come with the Samsung package makes it hard to understand the potential of the camera.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Image stabilization on your Canon is hardware enabled, the S5 has a software mode to provide a basic form of image stabilization which is completely different to the hardware implementation on your Canon.

The S5 with image stabilization enabled takes multiple pictures and then stiches them together to provide better low light photos. The downsides of this is any movement in the image or in the photgrapher will result in blurring and a complete waste of the shot plus you get a loading screen when you take pictures. Your Canon with hardware implemented image stabilization experiences none of these issues.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
The S5 uses that method of for achieving a stable image? The entire purpose of image stabilization is to produce a picture with no blur. I personally don't get why is the S5 required to take multiple pictures to achieve a stabilized image, yet any movement would result in a blurry picture, it just would defeat the entire purpose of image stabilization.

A different mode like auto night detection is one that would require the S5 to process the pictures longer to enhance dark areas and HDR would require multiple pictures to pic out to merge the different contrast. But the digital image stabilization is suppose to be a software process where the software may crop a little bit of the picture to give a person room for minor movements and provide a non blurry photo. While Optical image stabilization works with the actual camera lens actually moving and providing the best stabilized picture.

Similar to the OIS+ of the LG G Pro 2. The regular OIS uses the optical image stabilization to provide a very good steady and non blurry image. The OIS+ simply uses the OIS and then uses software features to enhanced the stable image. The end result is that OIS+ image enhances the steady ness of the pic, but the entire image is slightly smaller than the one of the regular OIS mode.

I have the Galaxy S4 and I use the image stabilization, it producess a less blurry pic every time. Without the (digital) image stabilization, most of my pics come out blurry. It completely helps me to take more stable pics. Now on Auto Night Mode or HDR, then yes, my S4 has to take multiple pics and process them.

Was the Image Stabilization changed that much on the S5? At the store, I tried IS on the S5 and without, and the images were less blurry with the IS. No where near as stable as the G2 with OIS, but steadier.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Could anyone put some real photos up somewhere? Actual full rez and or original files? This downscaled artifacted stuff doesn't look much different from my 2mpx Tab 3 7.0 camera...that thing shoots like a Polaroid or a Kodak 110 camera.

Please post up some flickr or imgur links or a dropbox folder or ANYthing. I can't compare my G Flex camera against most of these.

anon(577849)

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
These are unedited. Two were obviously taken at the zoo the other day and the last was this morning. I was trying to use selective focus but it didn't work. Nonetheless the picture is great!

20140506_114134.jpg

20140506_121346.jpg

20140508_085537.jpg

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Could anyone put some real photos up somewhere? Actual full rez and or original files? This downscaled artifacted stuff doesn't look much different from my 2mpx Tab 3 7.0 camera...that thing shoots like a Polaroid or a Kodak 110 camera.

Please post up some flickr or imgur links or a dropbox folder or ANYthing. I can't compare my G Flex camera against most of these.

this link work for you?

https://plus.google.com/108298182040954132162/posts?banner=pwa&authkey=CJvn9t7BsqmT-wE

https://plus.google.com/photos/108298182040954132162/albums/6011505776202668001/6011505785621060946?banner=pwa&pid=6011505785621060946&oid=108298182040954132162

- - - Updated - - -

anyone find the camera app resetting the photo size back down to 8MP on you? Every once in a while I happen to notice it's at 8 and it pisses me off.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Gplus tried to kill me just now but the actual pictures are better quality, at least enough I can see the Samsung has some clarity as well as color. Thank you very much, I am less worried about the camera now.

8mpx default? Hm. I'll keep an eye on whether my Flex defaults back from 4:3 13mpx back to the 16:9 10mpx defaults too. Do you have a manual focus slider? I am loving mine but kinda envious of the M8 having a camera profile saver/picker.

anon(577849)

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Do they downscale when we link them directly? I shared my pictures to my computer via the photoshare app, which shouldn't downscale them, then I inserted them directly from the computer (does the forum downscale them?). They should be full size. Here's a link to one of the ones I posted above in it's presumably full size. It seems like a 16mp pic, but I can't tell just by looking at it's size. I know the S5 camera takes really sharp pics, at least compared to my S3 which took really good pictures itself (except in low light).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...ra-photos-videos-thoughts-20140508_085537.jpg

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Do they downscale when we link them directly? I shared my pictures to my computer via the photoshare app, which shouldn't downscale them, then I inserted them directly from the computer (does the forum downscale them?). They should be full size. Here's a link to one of the ones I posted above in it's presumably full size. It seems like a 16mp pic, but I can't tell just by looking at it's size. I know the S5 camera takes really sharp pics, at least compared to my S3 which took really good pictures itself (except in low light).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...ra-photos-videos-thoughts-20140508_085537.jpg

As downloaded, 2.07mpx (1920x1080) 556KB. A bit fuzzy and grainy, you can see colored noise in the white part of the wall behind him.

EDIT:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvep455t9k7yiew/CAM00032.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgcn0yyu4gshjr9/CAM00062.jpg

Please excuse the poor quality, weather has been terrible for what seems like forever. But these should be original files from the camera on my Flex, at either 10mpx or 13mpx. They average 4.5-5.5MB each, or per software estimate 11000 files in 23.5GB. I need to hit up a farmers' market or a florists or something to make a better comparison.

And like I said one of the 'Galaxy Perks' is a 50GB storage on Dropbox which is great for photo sharing. If your plan has unlimited data you can also auto backup your pics.

Edit 2:
Make certain to download the original picture off Dropbox, the little blue button. I looked again at the picture of the boy and his hair lacks definition...at 16mpx and with a steady hand you should be able to count individual hairs. I think I got a picture of one of my friend's pets yet.....

Edit 3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6yzewizk3c9va6/CAM00034.jpg

Not satisfied with this one either. I need to take some more pictures with no people in them soon. All of these were from pretty much the first time I used the camera at all. A few of the newer stills compete with my Sony compact 10mpx camera, which still has the advantage of true optical zoom. But when you start with 10-13mpx or 8-16mpx you can afford to use maybe 2-3x digital and not totally ruin the shot....since most sharing DOES downscale anyway.

That was something htc is banking on here, that 4mpx camera looks fine at the same 2mpx everything else is displayed at.

Last edited:

anon(577849)

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
As downloaded, 2.07mpx (1920x1080) 556KB. A bit fuzzy and grainy, you can see colored noise in the white part of the wall behind him.
...I looked again at the picture of the boy and his hair lacks definition...at 16mpx and with a steady hand you should be able to count individual hairs. ...

I noticed what you're talking about in his hair. Here's another picture from the same set. I think it's a bit better focused. You can see the individual hairs and the detail of the shirt fibers around his neck. I think it's a superb camera.

20140508_085422.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87