Galaxy S5: Auto Screen Brightness & Heartbeat Not Working

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have two issues that I think may be related. Was wondering if anyone else had an issues like this. I have a Sprint S5, black.

1) When I turn in auto screen brightness in normal room brightness, the screen is very dim. I turn the range all the way up and turn it back on, and it is still dim. It does work in bright light, but not normal.

2) When trying to get heartbeats on the back of the phone on the led light, it can never read it. I know I have been dead to some people, but I know I have a heart (and a beat). I couldn't tell if there is a film on the sensor (like the camera lens). I tried to take it off, but don't believe there is film on it. I have tried to take it multiple times with multiple fingers, and it never reads. I have followed the instructions and diagrams it shows when it cannot read, and nothing.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeannew

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Auto Screen Brightness & Heartbeat Not Working

I have had exact same issue with heartate scanner. My husband and sister both got it to register on their first try though so clearly it functions. Guess I have to keep practicing. I actually just got it to work twice with finger sideways on it pushing very slightly. I have my finger orientated differently than the picture shows and it's the only way I can get it to work.

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site

After trying for the 20th time, I got the Heartbeat to read. Of course it works after I finally decided to post after sleeping on the thought.

I got it to work by not centering my finger on the opening, but to the right were the center is. To further explain, I centered the middle of my finger on the right side of the sensor, and not one the center of the opening. It immediately read three times in a row.

Hope this helps others.

Still having problems with 1) Auto brightness.

kevincrane

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I have the same auto brightness problem with an S5 in the UK - and Samsung support have been of little use, just saying factory reset the phone and try again.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

I have two issues that I think may be related. Was wondering if anyone else had an issues like this. I have a Sprint S5, black.

1) When I turn in auto screen brightness in normal room brightness, the screen is very dim. I turn the range all the way up and turn it back on, and it is still dim. It does work in bright light, but not normal.

2) When trying to get heartbeats on the back of the phone on the led light, it can never read it. I know I have been dead to some people, but I know I have a heart (and a beat). I couldn't tell if there is a film on the sensor (like the camera lens). I tried to take it off, but don't believe there is film on it. I have tried to take it multiple times with multiple fingers, and it never reads. I have followed the instructions and diagrams it shows when it cannot read, and nothing.

Anyone else have similar issues?

I have the same auto brightness problem with an S5 in the UK - and Samsung support have been of little use, just saying factory reset the phone and try again.

I find that if I have the dim screen option on under power saving mode, I have that same problem.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

You need to put NO pressure on it. Just rest your finger so the edges of the lens are touching the pad of your finger. I've never had an issue so far.

Tom Blaz

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

Also have same problem, without any reason display become like some yeloow bright... I am on VIP in Croatia bit i think kt is some production or software problem...tryed to turn off all power saving methods but still same problem from time to time...

Darthstorm528

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
No problems with the heart rate monitor either, but I never applied any pressure. As for the auto brightness, I notice a dim but it doesn't bother me as I assume this is normal. I'd disable it and manually set it as auto brightness sets the screen depending on the brightness environment. It's actually more useful in bright sunlight