Has the S5 not having 64-bit processing been a big deal for any of you?

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

I feel bothered by it because the iPhone has it and it came out several months ago last year. I want the latest and greatest for now that will last 2 years and not having 64-bit bugs me. But, do you think we even need 64-bit in the S5 or any current and new android device?

skymech

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
No need for 64 bit at this time. Even the iPhone 5s has very limited use of 64 bit. Very few iPhone apps are capable of making use of 64 bit architecture.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I feel bothered by it because the iPhone has it and it came out several months ago last year. I want the latest and greatest for now that will last 2 years and not having 64-bit bugs me. But, do you think we even need 64-bit in the S5 or any current and new android device?

There is no real need for 64 bit on a phone. That and you won't notice any real difference until you have 4gb of ram or more.

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Android OS does not support 64 bit processors so its unnecessary at this time. Apple did it simply for marketing ploys, when your toy phone is only 3.5-4" in size you don't require much processing power. Wait until they catch up with larger displays they will need to up their hardware specs.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
What about when running tests and benchmarks to compare phones? The iPhone's 64-bit processor benefit the phone in tests and benchmarks?

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Android OS does not support 64 bit processors so its unnecessary at this time. Apple did it simply for marketing ploys, when your toy phone is only 3.5-4" in size you don't require much processing power. Wait until they catch up with larger displays they will need to up their hardware specs.

I agree...except I don't think the large display will make a huge difference performance wise. Look at the iPad Air...runs just as smooth as the iPhone.

Anyway..,no you don't need if won't notice the difference if 32 vs 64 bit processing during the year to two someone typically keeps their phone .

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't ever used my device that much to where 64 bit processing would be needed. Maybe 3 megabytes of RAM would be better, but not to the point where you are basically making a phone into a minicomputer on steroids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress