Build quality

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm liking this phone a lot. Everyday I'm finding more and more useful features, but how much more would it cost to put a metal band around the phone? The fake back is OK feeling but dang! I want to see something like the razor HD Maxx.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking this phone a lot. Everyday I'm finding more and more useful features, but how much more would it cost to put a metal band around the phone? The fake back is OK feeling but dang! I want to see something like the razor HD Maxx.

What do you mean? Are you looking for a border case?

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
He means that samsung should have put a metal band around the phone instead of the plastic shiny border they currently have. I really agree, it would have felt more solid, however I must say the GS5 is really comfortable in my hand. Saying that, I had to use my old HTC One X earlier to get an old number, and I realised how great that phone sits in my hand. Still the GS5 is great. Regarding a metal band, I have bought one of these from Ebay:

it's only 0.7 MM thick so really shouldn't add any thickness to the phone
I've got the red one I think it's pretty nice0.7mm Metal Bumper Case Cover Tempered Glass for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900 G900F | eBay

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The answer is, not much. Let's say it cost $.25 a piece, installed, per handset in USD (no idea...I would guess this is a bit high but not too much). So, assuming around 12.5 million handsets in the next six months, that's about $3.1 million in more cost, most likely passed on to customers.

But have you considered the possibility that they didn't want to do it for a good reason? The truth is that the plaster band absorbs more shock from a side impact, whereas metal would transfer most of it. Given the size of the bezel, I bet that part of the reason was because it made the screen more survivable. So, yeah, if you drop it, the band will dent. On the other hand, there's a chance that the screen won't shatter.

Having said that, I wish Sammy would've used metal so that I didn't have to type this in forums every time someone suggests that they should have used metal and that the only reason they didn't is because they were being cheap. Who knows? Maybe that IS the reason I guess.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've never had issue with all the Samsung's I've bought.

I'll be honest the build quality and few features is why I bought the S5 over the M8. I had the M8 but had to return it because issues Android File Transfer not being recognized on my iMac (2013). It was confirmed that you just need to restart it while plugged in.

Anyways, I was supposed to buy the M8 this afternoon but this issue with loose buttons scared me, I hate returning because OCD. LOL

The reviews were right about the Finger Print Scanner, a PITA! I never liked the S series but I'm also bored. :)

SHIFT_pro s5

Last edited:

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
But have you considered the possibility that they didn't want to do it for a good reason? The truth is that the plaster band absorbs more shock from a side impact, whereas metal would transfer most of it. Given the size of the bezel, I bet that part of the reason was because it made the screen more survivable. So, yeah, if you drop it, the band will dent. On the other hand, there's a chance that the screen won't shatter.

is this why I'm always seeing ppl using iPhones with broken glass? it's metal band?

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the build quality of Samsung devices. They are durable and stylish. I don't like uni body phones becuase they dont give you access to the battery, so you can't replace it out carry a spare around with you.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I've never had issue with all the Samsung's I've bought.

I'll be honest the build quality and few features is why I bought the S5 over the M8. I had but had to return it because issues Android File Transfer not being recognized on my iMac (2013). It was confirmed that you just need to restart it while plugged in.

Anyways, I was supposed to buy the M8 this afternoon but this issue with loose buttons scared me, I hate returning because OCD. LOL

The reviews were right about the Finger Print Scanner, a PITA! I never liked the South series but I'm also bored. :)

SHIFT_pro s5

I had the M8 before the s5. The front metal bezel is glued on and it was peeling off after a few days use. I returned it to t mobile for the S5. It's still a solid phone. I like the s5 better. They will kill it with a metal phone.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the build quality of Samsung devices. They are durable and stylish. I don't like uni body phones becuase they dont give you access to the battery, so you can't replace it out carry a spare around with you.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

Great point!

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The back feels really good and the screen is beautiful, just needs a metal band and this phone will be close to perfect on the build quality side

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A metal band around the phone may interfere with your reception

-Sent from Tapatalk

Or you can just make the metal band part of the antenna like the iPhone does.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SteveW888

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Personally I really like the build. It feels comfortable and solid in the hand. The back actually looks really nice to me (I have shimmering white) and where the edge of my iPhone would scratch easily, if the band on the S5 scratches I doubt I'll even notice it.

An added bonus, it fell out of my pocket at the gym today and not even a mark. ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app

geoffr86

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't got my S5 yet. it should be here in a couple days. but I must admit when the S5 was revealed I was rather relieved when it was still plastic construction. I must probably be in the minority though.

the reason is I had an iPhone 5 and briefly an HTC One. The were both lovely phones, and I really can appreciate the difference of the "feel" that the metal brings to the device. However, I always worried where to put my phone down so it wouldn't get scratched etc, and eventually both ended up in a case which renders the slim and sleek designs of the phones pointless. My iPhone 5 in particular ended up with lots of the black finish missing, and lots of marks on corners etc.

My S4 on the other hand has been plonked all sorts of places and I haven't worried about being overly gentle when putting it down places, and I've just sold it after 7 months use (to pay off a contract) in very nearly mint condition. So the "cheap" plastic finish definitely has it's advantages in my opinion.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only one that puts his S5 in a case? Yes I am careful with my phone, no I haven't dropped it yet....but I swear if I took my phone out of its case, I would drop it. My case is a UAG, black and clear.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that puts his S5 in a case? Yes I am careful with my phone, no I haven't dropped it yet....but I swear if I took my phone out of its case, I would drop it. My case is a UAG, black and clear.

I'm sure your not the only one that puts a case on your S5. I do use a case on mine as well, being that I used the AT&T Next to get the S5 and I want to keep in a pristine condition for 12 month before I'm eligible for the AT&T Next again and get the S6.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The only person I have ever known to have a cracked android phone is a buddy of mine that was going to get a case soon....then didn't. and then dropped it. I love the slim design of the S5, but I'll be damned if I am going to f**k it up

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I'm not going to take my chances. I even drop my phones even when it's in the case but it always lands on carpet and i'm not taking my chances either. Right now I ordered a Spigen Neo Hybrid case and a Glas.t nano slim, so I am waiting to get them in the mail (hopefully this week). But in the mean time I'll have to be very careful when using it.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I have mine in a flip cover s view case. It helps preventing the grease from your face getting onto the screen while talking

-Sent from Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa