custom ringtone for text message, how? (samsung galaxy s5)

Angela Benson

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi Andy
I have downloaded a ringtone that I want to use as my message tone, but it only appears in my ringtones. How can I transfer it to notifications?

lgdlman

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
As explained earlier, you edit the contact, click "Add another field", notification is right there.

Posted via Android Central App

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Andy
I have downloaded a ringtone that I want to use as my message tone, but it only appears in my ringtones. How can I transfer it to notifications?

You can use the My Files app to find the file in your ringtones folder (under device storage) and then copy it to your notifications folder. Hope that's what you were looking for.

Posted via Android Central App

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Again, I ask why all you folks are using outside apps to accomplish what your phone can natively within itself already? :confused:

tviano

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have the galaxy s5 for just 4 days now and I have done all the steps required to get custom ringtones and notifications to work, but they does not. Despite selecting custom ringtones and notifications at the Contact level, it just uses the defaults. I'm sure there are others having the same problem. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm on Verizon. I may try an app that does make this work.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, when you are at the contact level are you actually selecting a ringtone for that person and then saving the contact? Are you selecting to turn on the messaging ringtone field, selecting and entering in a ringtone and then saving that? You are doing something wrong or missing a step somewhere. It isn't rocket science, it is a phone. Most people that choose an Android phone should have no trouble with setting up stuff like this. It is pretty basic.

dudeleocious

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
This YouTube link should hopefully help with what you're trying to do. Once you get all your notification tones you want, you'll be able to select them from the phone from this method. I always had a separate ringtone for my text messages, and a separate for everything other notification (e-mail, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SCiT-1bxYE
It's only 51 seconds, but here's how it goes:
-Tap on messages on main screen
-Hit the 3 vertical dots [...] on top right, and choose settings
-In settings tap on notifications
-Enable notifications, then tap of notification sound

Then from list you can choose which sound you want to customize JUST the tone for ALL text messages only.

Like I said, I like to keep my text message notification tone separate from my e-mail / other notification tones separate. Hope this helps someone out there :)

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Click on your Contact List. Pick a Contact. Touch the Pencil icon to Edit the Contact. Scroll down to "Add Another Field" & Pick Message Tone and pick Ok. Now you are back on Edit Contact page, pick Message Tone and pick what ringtone you want for that contact. Pick Ok. Click Save to save the edit. Now that contact will have their own unique messaging tone when you get a text from them that is separate from the regular text tone you set for everyone. Easy Peasy.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Be careful of what sound you set your text notification to. I'm into photography so I had a sound clip of the camera sound when it takes a picture set as my text notification sound. So the other day I'm at the grocery store standing in line at the cashier with my phone in my hand and a text comes in. Well, there was a lady standing in front of me and when the camera sound went off she whipped her head around and shot me a stern look and within a split second I realized she thought I just shot a picture of her behind. In fear of getting the crap slapped out of me I just turned the screen to her and said it was a text alert sound, she relaxed and turned back around. Once I got back to my vehicle the first thing I did was change the notification sound.

tviano

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes to all your questions. Works for phone calls, but not text messages. I agree it's basic and I'm perplexed that it's not working, hence the visit to this forum. If you weren't a fellow Android user, I'd say you were indeed a rocket scientist. You seem so smart!

Bryan Nayrb

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to the guys who posted how to copy ringtones/notifications from a folder (eg zedge) to the proper one so they can be used for facebook/steam/email/text sounds. That's been fun. But I have a related question I hope someone can help me on (sorry OP!)

I downloaded some gladdos (portal fans will know it) tones that say like 10/20/30 % battery left. Is there any app I can use to set 'battery notifications' ?? I am using "Battery Doctor" not much but here and there for stuff and I cannot find it in there or in the galaxy anywhere. Is something like this just not supported or is there any app? I'd just basically like to be able to set some noises for when my battery reaches certain tresholds.

Thanks to anyone who can help me on that, and to all who helped me get my custom sounds setup for everything else.

Mel Fel

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Awesome! Thank you GOOGY59 for posting the "how to" for customizing text messages for individual contacts on the S5 Galaxy.
I've had the S5 for a month and tried every which way and could not figure it out.

feroce2003

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Change your text messaging app you are using from the new "Message+" to the old "Messages". They are already in your apps. Then you can make it work with just one contact and not everyone. Use the instructions from the first part of this topic.

Last edited:

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
If you want to use a custom notification sound, as mentioned you need to copy a soundfile into the "Notifications" folder on the device. This folder sometimes does not exist. So simply create the folder in file manager, then copy your soundfile into it. Then the custom soundfile will be listed in the sound/notification setting list.

Or just use Zedge, it does it for you but i noticed it doesn't save the downloaded tones into the Notifications folder, so not sure how that works.

Last edited: