Anyone else feel like the camera could be better?

mujertins

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I have literally had zero of these problems. This cameras reviews have claimed it is the first camera to be as good or better than the 5s. Remember all megapixels means is how big you can blow up the picture before it starts distorting and zooming I believe. An 8MP camera can be better than a 16MP, 20MP, 40MP in actually picture quality depending on the screen size. One thing about the iPhone phone is remember, it has good resolution on the 5s and is smaller than the S5. I think to many people expect to much out of a phone camera. I have read that different people have had different results using other camera software/programs.

Thanks for your input everyone thinks I'm just trolling

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Its easy to take a good pic in daylight outside or well lit area or whatever. Anything else you have to take shot after shot to get it right and clean.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My wife took a picture of the front of our house yesterday with all the flowers and I remarked to her that this is THE BEST picture I've ever seen on a camera phone before. It takes great pictures as long as you know how it behaves.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think we've all admitted that OUTSIDE pictures in daylight are awesome ... the color is bright and clear, and the pictures are sharp. I want to see more people taking indoor pictures, either during the day or at night. I haven't changed my initial settings much, I did play with the HDR setting and picture stabilization. Even though it feels like it takes forever, the indoor pics are slightly better with picture stabilization on. Mine is also set to 16M. I'll take a basic indoor picture and post it when I have a chance so I can hopefully get advice.

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Low-light is where you'll find noise on all cameras. I'd love to see comparison with the other flagships to see which has the least noise. It'll be interesting to see if the ISOCELL sensor has made any improvement in this area. Keep in mind that software is heavily at play for a lot of camera phone pics too. Aggressive noise removal amongst other things will vary. Of course there's always a tradeoff.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see some pictures in low light on other, comparable devices as well. This is a great device and I love it so far (coming from Apple), I think I'll feel more comfortable with the camera when I'm able to use it more and in different scenarios. So far, the low light pictures are my only minor complaint about it.

buxz777

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
to be honest i don't have an s5 but from what ive seen i was hoping for more from the camera and the z2 looks like it performs better as well as other phones like the Lumia range of phones ....... maybe they need more work to help with low light? but there has been some interesting shoot outs on the web and apparently they camera software doesn't allow for a very slow shutter speed it instead opts for a higher iso relying on the newer isocell sensor to try and get a good image , but as you can see the noise pops up and it doesn't seem to work

the s5 does have a very good stabilization/night mode where it takes quite a few shots and then mixes them together to make a good/cleaner shot but without a larger sensor and ois and access to slow down the shutter speed and keep the phone still it looks like the s5 will suffer at night/dim light situations ...... it does however look like a good day time camera but not a very good all round camera but then again i have been spoilt with the 1020 and its xenon flash , rich recording mics , large senor and high quality optics which makes a very versatile camera

i would like too see others push nokia further in the camera realms and was a little disappointed with the testing shots ive seen from the s5 , don't get me wrong , its a very good daytime camera but it just doesn't seem to cope well in challenging situations but without the hardware like ois and software like oversampling to eliminate noise i guess its obvious it was going to be that way

here are some shoot outs with the s5 involved and some interesting shots and info ;-)

Camera head to head: Nokia Lumia 1020 versus Samsung Galaxy S5

Low light shots from the Nokia 808 PureView, Lumia 1020 and Samsung Galaxy S5 | PureView Club

A low light ode to Nokia (808 PureView and Lumia 1020 and 1520, compared to Galaxy S5) | PureView Club

Next comparison: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs the Nokia Lumia 1020 – shades and lowlight (1) | PureView Club

its also worth reading the comments , some very knowledgeable people on the forums , some fan boys too but they are obvious to spot and easy to ignore ;-) the sites losted just love good camera phones even though they are ''pureview'' based sites ;-)

they also have just done some z2 tests if you check their homepage ;-) and also have just got a kzoom so should be testing that soon ;-)

Last edited:

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After taking pics and looking at the result? I feel like its still grainy compared to other phones. Are their settings to make pics look better besudes higher resolution and hdr?

The title of the thread is "Anyone else feel like the camera could be better?" It's very obvious the camera could be better! If not what will they do for the S6? Each and every camera can and will be better unless the line is discontinued.

buxz777

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The title of the thread is "Anyone else feel like the camera could be better?" It's very obvious the camera could be better! If not what will they do for the S6? Each and every camera can and will be better unless the line is discontinued.

but why not give the user the best they can in the flagship ;-) then improve it in the next model ;-) you see with Samsung i think they hold back on the s5/galaxy range of phones because of the zoom range they do and also to keep the s5 as thin as they can ..... its almost as if they are scared to change the galaxy design and in-cooperate things like xenon and ois and instead release another model and make it a bit bigger and more camera centric ;-)

id love too see a slightly thicker s5 with bigger sensor , better optics , oversampling . xenon flash , ois , better mics and speakers a true all in one can do anything at anytime of day device a flagship to rule all if you like ;-) but i don't want them to release it as a separate phone , i think they should break the mould and just release a true all in one device and when people say its a bit thicker they can say yes but the battery is a crazy 4000mah and will last for 2 days with medium usage and we have also put a 1" sensor for great photos ...... well i can dream cant i ;-) i guess i am just a bit fed up of design dictating functionality ;-)

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
but why not give the user the best they can in the flagship ;-) then improve it in the next model ;-) you see with Samsung i think they hold back on the s5/galaxy range of phones because of the zoom range they do and also to keep the s5 as thin as they can ..... its almost as if they are scared to change the galaxy design and in-cooperate things like xenon and ois and instead release another model and make it a bit bigger and more camera centric ;-)

id love too see a slightly thicker s5 with bigger sensor , better optics , oversampling . xenon flash , ois , better mics and speakers a true all in one can do anything at anytime of day device a flagship to rule all if you like ;-) but i don't want them to release it as a separate phone , i think they should break the mould and just release a true all in one device and when people say its a bit thicker they can say yes but the battery is a crazy 4000mah and will last for 2 days with medium usage and we have also put a 1" sensor for great photos ...... well i can dream cant i ;-) i guess i am just a bit fed up of design dictating functionality ;-)

Are you talking about something like this? It is only slightly thicker than the S5 and the phone is the S5.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/59..._source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Fastfwd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

What you guys are discussing is an age old debate apparently from what I gather over at the forums on DP Review Forums: Digital Photography Review I’ve been reading those forums for several years trying to pick up on camera knowledge and photography tips.

The general sentiment if I am referencing it accurately is that there is no ‘perfect’ camera – everything is a compromise. No doubt that digital cameras are getting better and better, but you’re still going to find compromise. Size vs. external controls to access the advanced features – the list goes on and on.

I was very aware of the lower pixel count of the 5S on a similar size sensor and its benefit to lower light performance, but it wasn’t a deciding factor for me. It might be a better suited camera for what camera phones are most used for in fact.

If I’m really concerned about getting the best low light photos that I can get – I’ve got other options for that. Granted it might not be ‘the camera I have with me’ in some situations.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Operator error is the cause of bad pictures in 90% plus of cases.
The most common operator error is either camera movement or subject movement, or both.
Counter the first one by NOT holding your phone/cam at arm's length in front of you when you shoot. That's guaranteed to cause camera movement unsharpness. Instead always support your phone/cam while tripping the shutter. E.g. on a table, a chair's back, a branch, a fence, etc. Hell, even on your knees is better than freehand shooting.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
In the interest of saving storage space I have been shooting all my pics at 8MP. I wasn't overly concerned that about printing anything over 8x10s so why not...Interestingly, I have notice what I consider a substantial improvement in low light images with much less grain! The full daylight pics may be a bit less detailed but are still in my opinion very good while the low light are noticeably better then my previous full 16MP shoots! I really don't have any technical explanation for this other then maybe the camera software is more able to cope with less information producing a better image. Don't get me wrong, I will still get the occasional shot that is just not great, like the situation completely fooled the software and it just got it wrong! But the great thing about digital photography is you can take a LOT of shots and hardly ever do I NOT get a good one!

Cheers

Brandon Barnes1

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Here's my addition. I believe it all just depends on the lighting.
20140425_200944_zpspcynyvyh.jpg
[/URL]

mujertins

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
My wife took a picture of the front of our house yesterday with all the flowers and I remarked to her that this is THE BEST picture I've ever seen on a camera phone before. It takes great pictures as long as you know how it behaves.

Attachments

• 1399076332296.jpg
    1399076332296.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 28

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non