Stop Screen Coming on from Texts??!

alldogs

May 1, 2014
Visit site
My S5 screen comes on every time o get a text. Normally I wouldn't mind but the screen seems to be so sensitive that my leg actually pushes a bunch of buttons on the touch screen (through my pocket) as soon as the screen comes on. It's so annoying and I have to always remember to put my phone in my pocket facing out because of this...what can I do? And no I don't have the increased sensitivity setting on.

Donnie Wilson17

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this same issue, tried every available setting in messages. When my phone is in my pocket and I recieve a text the screen wakes up and then as it touches my leg it will cause my music to skip songs. It will also pocket dial, even worse opens Internet and whatever else on home screen. Very frustrating. Loving the phone for sure coming from iphone.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
My stock messaging app turns the screen on too. I've poured through the settings as well and haven't found an option to turn it off.

REDWOOD CARLOS

May 2, 2014
Visit site
HELP! I am having this same problem.

Is the answer going to a separate messaging?

I think my leg might actually be hitting the Home button (recessed home button would not have this problem) and activating the screen. It only happens when I am physically active. Is there a way to not have the home button wake the S5?

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Download SMS pop up.

Disable all notifications in the native app and use that to configure them.

Posted via Android Central App

shonangreg

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, though I don't think it is because of texts for me. I get very few of them, and my S5 is turning on multiple times per day in my pocket (thigh pocket of cargo pants).

I thought it was because of other apps (Kaiten mail, viber, etc.), but Redwood Carlos might be right in thinking the home button is being activated, though bumping into my though sure makes for a soft touch. Once on, I'm getting all kinds of button combination pushes presumably from my leg though the shell of my pants.

Is the only workaround using a flipcase that has a recessed home button cover (or carrying screen-side out (sounds like a revision of the iPhone's "You're holding it wrong" fiasco))?

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
IMO, carrying your phone in a hip pocket is not a good idea.

When I press on the home button, it does wake the phone up, but I have the lockscreen set to Draw Pattern purposely to prevent accidental activation of any apps.

I carry my phone in my shirt pocket away from sharp corners, keys, etc...

shonangreg

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have my S5 set to fingerprint unlock, so what I'm thinking might be happening with me is that I slide my phone into my thigh pocket, screen inward, button at the top of the pocket, then when I snap the button to close the pocket, this presses the phone's home button against my thigh. Then the incidental button pushes happen from my leg through my pants with me noticing much later.

I'll just invert the phone with the home button at the bottom of my pocket to check this. I could also change the screen lock to engage instantly when I press the power/screen lock button, but I don't like that configuration.

Last edited:

dactyl2

May 25, 2014
Visit site
IMO, carrying your phone in a hip pocket is not a good idea.

When I press on the home button, it does wake the phone up, but I have the lockscreen set to Draw Pattern purposely to prevent accidental activation of any apps.

I carry my phone in my shirt pocket away from sharp corners, keys, etc...

No can do if you have a pacemaker.