Battery issues and apps opening by themselves

shawnks

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded to an s5 a few days ago and love it so far. My only issue has been that battery life has been less than stellar, although not horrible. After 16-17 hours I'm down to 5% battery, but that's with very little usage. When I go into the battery page it says Android OS is 35-60% of my battery usage, screen time is only 5-10%, and everything else is small. When you look at the usage graph you can see that my phone is doing things even while the screen is off.

I did some reading on here and installed Battery Doctor. It seems cool and might be helping. However, it seems like I have to run it all the time to get much out of it. Every time I run it at least a few apps, if not more, have started up that I didn't open. The main culprits seem to be google+, google drive, Pandora, and google maps. If I run battery doctor, lock my phone, then come back 2 hours later at least 2-3 of these are open. I've set my gallery to only back up to google+ when on wifi and plugged in.

What am I missing here and/or what should I be doing?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Are you using an app killer, cache cleaner, ram booster, anti virus etc? Those are battery hogs and screw your phone up. Open apps shouldn't be that big of a problem. I keep a dozen or more open, don't clear cache etc.

After a 17 hour day of moderate use I am around 40-50%.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
It will and you won't have any lag. App Killer is the worst thing you can do to a phone. You want your ram being heavily used, don't worry if you're using 90% of your ram and don't worry if you have 1-2 GB of cache. Android works differently than other OS. Unused ram is bad ram. You want the phone to be maxed out , it will work better.

shawnks

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I think that did it. Ever since uninstalling those two things my batter usage, at least while just mostly idling, has completely flattened. Thanks!!

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that did it. Ever since uninstalling those two things my batter usage, at least while just mostly idling, has completely flattened. Thanks!!

I think it will even improve more so. Glad I could help, people in this forum heavily schooled me lol. I was such a noob when I arrived here.