Cracked Screen... what are my options?

Kalebb2010

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Only had the S5 for two days and cracked it last night from a 2 feet drop onto brick floor. 2 thin cracks across the display. After looking at a do it yourself video, it looks ridiculously complicated. Stores want to charge 200.

It is ONLY the very top layer of glass that is cracked. Why would I pay 200 for a part that only costs 12 dollars and a fix that would take 30 minutes for a repair expert to do?

Help guys!

Posted via Android Central App

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You don't have many options. If you don't want to pay to replace it, put a tempered glass screen protector on it to make the screen smooth enough to use without catching your finger and deal with the cracks.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Warranty isn't going to cover damage done by the user. Too bad the OP didn't have insurance.... that would certainly have covered this.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
You should have a one year Samsung warranty that comes with the device, try that.

As said above warranty doesn't cover glass cracks due to accidental drops. Unless you have insurance.

Also if you used your credit card to purchase your phone, they may cover accidental so you may want to contact them.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the downsides of IP67 certification, it makes self servicing the device and replacing parts quite a bit more trickier.

I would suggest either paying your carrier/Samsung or try to find a local phone repair store and hope they can fix it for cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Oliver Telfor

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Only had the S5 for two days and cracked it last night from a 2 feet drop onto brick floor. 2 thin cracks across the display. After looking at a do it yourself video, it looks ridiculously complicated. Stores want to charge 200.

It is ONLY the very top layer of glass that is cracked. Why would I pay 200 for a part that only costs 12 dollars and a fix that would take 30 minutes for a repair expert to do?

Help guys!

When I smashed my screen I was told it would cost ?150 on the insurance to repair. So rather than getting bent over I just searched "Nexus 5 Screen repair shops" in Google and when onto Google Maps to see where the closest repair shop was. After checking out a few of the guys sites I dropped it off at one of the shops and it was done in an hour for ?40.

I usually find that PC repair shops sometimes repair screens as well. It's better than getting ripped off on the insurance pay out anyway.

I bought a screen protector after to make sure it didn't happen again.

nicholas frey

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Insurance isn't worth it, I just dropped the insurance for my phone since it cost just as much to replace it as it was to repair it.

I hear RadioShack repairs screens. Is this something anyone would suggest for the S5?

Last edited:

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Insurance isn't worth it, I just dropped the insurance for my phone since it cost just as much to replace it as it was to repair it.

I hear RadioShack repairs screens. Is this something anyone would suggest for the S5?

They charge roughly the same amount as most everywhere else. Plus it's the same technique(s). I just quit working there not long ago.

Either buy a replacement, use a screen cover and deal with it, or IF you have insurance, use it to get a new phone. Though I will say, I'm not sure how insurances will deal with this device, it MAY consider it as a premium device.

**Note to self. research SquareTrade for phone insurance.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to start an Apple vs Samsung...

We don't have a Samsung Store up, not in Ontario anyways but if OP has one near by can't you just take it in and get them to exchange it. I've done it twice for friend's iPhone, made the appointment with Genius Bar and replaced it (refurbished). Of course I didn't tell them I dropped it but just issues with it. :)

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
They will not give you a free replacement for a cracked screen if they do you will be super lucky

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Without the insurance, you won't be able to get a replacement for $150...If you are not due an upgrade, the replacement will cost you $650. As for doing it yourself, I've heard of people successfully pulling it off online, but personally I only new one person who tried and it didn't work. Colors started spreading across the screen and they had to buy a new phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87