Phonebook Question

Jho Butz

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to Android, have the phone for a couple of weeks.

I wanted to send a text message to a friend last night and her phone number was repeated like a million times in the recipient line. Then I figured it showed her contact entry from the sim card, google, tango app, etc., even if I have google contacts only showing in my phonebook. It's driving me crazy!

Is there any way to isolate all other contact info from what you have in your phonebook?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are all of the contacts showing up when you search in the Messaging app? Or are you using the Google Search bar to look for your contacts? If the latter, you can modify what apps Google Search looks in--so you could turn off Tango and other sources. It's in Google Settings>Search & Now>Phone Search.

Jho Butz

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi! Thanks for replying.

It's not in google search.

I might have been not clear, sorry. The problem is in the message app. In the recipient line, when you type in a contact name the drop-down menu contains his phone numbers and email adresses, right?

For instance, I got Joe's contact info (123-456-7890) saved in my sim card, device, google and tango. When I type in his name to send him a text message, his number, 123-456-7890, is repeated 4 times in the drop-down menu. Even if in my phonebook, only my google contacts (one contact number for Joe) are shown.

I hope this clears it up a bit. It's just really driving me crazy.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the stock Messaging app, or Google Hangouts (which can be set as the default SMS app if preferred)? I use Hangouts, and when I start typing a contact name in, I only get contacts from my People app. I'm not sure if what you're experiencing is something specific to the Samsung stock Messaging app or not, but it might be worth trying Hangouts instead.

Have you checked the Messaging app's settings to see if you can adjust where it looks for contacts? Open Messaging, tap the menu button, and see if there is anything in the menu.