1 month review of the S5 from an Apple guy......

Denzo_K

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Just reposting a comment I made earlier, elsewhere on this site. I think its kind of relevant. And its great to see Apple and ex-Apple users give an opinion - makes it easier for me to relate. Anyway:

I am always on my phone. Between work, socially and commuting its something I use a lot. Ive had all iPhones since the 3G. Even my 2 month old 5S. I then started hearing that the next iPhone is going to be bigger (like Android big) so I decided to try out Android one more time.
During all the iPhone models, I had sometimes branched out and tried various android phones but they always kind of sucked. I had the HTC Desire (the original one - Amoled back then was amazing, it was well build and quite compact) but took terrible photos , I had the SGS2 which was good - it had some great tech for its time - but ultimately Android was quite ugly back then, and lastly I had the HTC ONE X - which had an awesome screen, wasn't too bulky and HTC had a nice UI by then, but ultimately I couldn't live with it because it had display driver issues and was quite laggy (again, spoilt by the quality of Apple's UI and software). I also always found the Android app store to be rubbish in comparison, and there seem to be a lot of garbage apps. Besides the quality of apps, half the time the app store didn't used to get all the Apps that that Apples store did - and when they did get the app it was never as pretty or smooth.
I am somewhat of an iWhore and prefer quality over quantity so it was always easy to go with Apple.
Back to the next iPhone - its going be bigger. And to be honest I am ready for a break from iPhone and iOS. I have an iPad. And a MacBook Pro. I was just kind of hoping for a different experience - but one that was still quality.
So on the weekend - and I know there will be a new one early next year, and a new iPhone in like 4 weeks, but I just wanted to own this new beast and that was a brand new SGS5.
Man the screen (AMOLED) is just amazing. Its smooth like iOS now. Videos look amazing. I can actually transfer videos onto it. The Google now thing is amazing!! It tells me my bus time table and best routes - straight up. And it is waterproof! Another interesting thing I noticed is on an app I use a bit, the NBA App, it lets you choose video quality - this is huge for me because my lunch break I will be able to watch an hour and only use 540MB instead of 3.8GB. I still have the option of going HD which is cool. NFC built in. Battery is fantastic. Camera is right up there. Im pleasantly surprised.
Again as someone who always hated android (copy cats) and have been spoilt with Apple products for years - for me the SGS5 is definitely a phone worth trying and is on the right path. I won't be able to use my Apple TV with my phone (still got an iPad) but my TV is Samsung anyway.
If you are on the fence - try it out - it really has caught up and offers something different. For me the LG was a bit too big and didn't feel in the same league in the hand. Having metal is cool - but my iPhone 5 (5S was better) looked like it had seen an able grinder with all the silver grazes on it from very light use.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Please explain to me why I can't send a 15 second video via text message. Am I missing something?

I think you are going to have to host that on a server and link to it, ie YouTube. Video requires a humongous amount of data storage. Way too much for the text app.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you serious? Why on earth would anyone want a phone that can't send a 15 second video without hosting it? That's a definite deal breaker for me.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you serious? Why on earth would anyone want a phone that can't send a 15 second video without hosting it? That's a definite deal breaker for me.
I'm on AT&T and I can send a video that is longer than 15 seconds but the video quality is abysmal, rendering it pointless to do so. As I think you already know, you can do this iPhone to iPhone without quality loss is because of iMessage. It really sucks that the carriers don't allow us to send highest quality. Use my data, that's fine. Either that or Android needs to come up with something equivalent to iMessage.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Just reposting a comment I made earlier, elsewhere on this site. I think its kind of relevant. And its great to see Apple and ex-Apple users give an opinion - makes it easier for me to relate. Anyway:

I am always on my phone. Between work, socially and commuting its something I use a lot. Ive had all iPhones since the 3G. Even my 2 month old 5S. I then started hearing that the next iPhone is going to be bigger (like Android big) so I decided to try out Android one more time.
During all the iPhone models, I had sometimes branched out and tried various android phones but they always kind of sucked. I had the HTC Desire (the original one - Amoled back then was amazing, it was well build and quite compact) but took terrible photos , I had the SGS2 which was good - it had some great tech for its time - but ultimately Android was quite ugly back then, and lastly I had the HTC ONE X - which had an awesome screen, wasn't too bulky and HTC had a nice UI by then, but ultimately I couldn't live with it because it had display driver issues and was quite laggy (again, spoilt by the quality of Apple's UI and software). I also always found the Android app store to be rubbish in comparison, and there seem to be a lot of garbage apps. Besides the quality of apps, half the time the app store didn't used to get all the Apps that that Apples store did - and when they did get the app it was never as pretty or smooth.
I am somewhat of an iWhore and prefer quality over quantity so it was always easy to go with Apple.
Back to the next iPhone - its going be bigger. And to be honest I am ready for a break from iPhone and iOS. I have an iPad. And a MacBook Pro. I was just kind of hoping for a different experience - but one that was still quality.
So on the weekend - and I know there will be a new one early next year, and a new iPhone in like 4 weeks, but I just wanted to own this new beast and that was a brand new SGS5.
Man the screen (AMOLED) is just amazing. Its smooth like iOS now. Videos look amazing. I can actually transfer videos onto it. The Google now thing is amazing!! It tells me my bus time table and best routes - straight up. And it is waterproof! Another interesting thing I noticed is on an app I use a bit, the NBA App, it lets you choose video quality - this is huge for me because my lunch break I will be able to watch an hour and only use 540MB instead of 3.8GB. I still have the option of going HD which is cool. NFC built in. Battery is fantastic. Camera is right up there. Im pleasantly surprised.
Again as someone who always hated android (copy cats) and have been spoilt with Apple products for years - for me the SGS5 is definitely a phone worth trying and is on the right path. I won't be able to use my Apple TV with my phone (still got an iPad) but my TV is Samsung anyway.
If you are on the fence - try it out - it really has caught up and offers something different. For me the LG was a bit too big and didn't feel in the same league in the hand. Having metal is cool - but my iPhone 5 (5S was better) looked like it had seen an able grinder with all the silver grazes on it from very light use.

You can use an app called all cast to watch locally stored videos, pictures and music on your Android phone to the Apple TV.

Nice review by the way :)

Posted from my S5

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I can send a video that is longer than 15 seconds but the video quality is abysmal, rendering it pointless to do so. As I think you already know, you can do this iPhone to iPhone without quality loss is because of iMessage. It really sucks that the carriers don't allow us to send highest quality. Use my data, that's fine. Either that or Android needs to come up with something equivalent to iMessage.

Like I posted above, I KNOW for a fact I could send quality video from my iPhone to my buddy's S5 on Verizon. I did it MANY times. It has nothing to do with iMessage.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, I just did it today. I was trying to send my buddy a video of an issue I was having with my car. I videoed it with my S5 (AWESOME quality I may add) and attempted to send it to him. He has an S5 on Verizon, just like me. It wouldn't let me. Video to large or some crap like that. I then went inside, grabbed my wife's iPhone 5, took another video, and sent it to him, no problem. Bad news is, my car has a boost leak. LOL. Good news is my S5 takes much better videos than an iPhone 5, I just can't send them to anyone.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Like I posted above, I KNOW for a fact I could send quality video from my iPhone to my buddy's S5 on Verizon. I did it MANY times. It has nothing to do with iMessage.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, I just did it today. I was trying to send my buddy a video of an issue I was having with my car. I videoed it with my S5 (AWESOME quality I may add) and attempted to send it to him. He has an S5 on Verizon, just like me. It wouldn't let me. Video to large or some crap like that. I then went inside, grabbed my wife's iPhone 5, took another video, and sent it to him, no problem. Bad news is, my car has a boost leak. LOL. Good news is my S5 takes much better videos than an iPhone 5, I just can't send them to anyone.

I suppose you could use NFC to another Android phone. I know what you mean though. I took a picture with my S5 and ipod touch the other day . The picture came out in better quality on the S5. I sent the same pic using Google hangouts on the touch and and the S5. From the S5 the image was compressed on the touch it was not. In the end it looked better when sent from the touch despite the original image taken with the S5 being better.

Posted from my S5

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Just send it via shared link in Dropbox or Carousel. Problem solved.

Also, I've received a number of videos from iPhones and they're TERRIBLE quality. Either really small or really grainy. When I had an iPhone, that wasn't an issue because it came through via iMessage. I've never seen them come through in perfect condition from any iPhone to any Android. If there's a way to do it, then I'd love to hear it since the majority of my family have iPhones.

Cincojoe

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
It has nothing to do with iMessage. I can send a video from my iphone to my sisters moto and it looks fine. Enough with the iMessage stuff already.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It has nothing to do with iMessage. I can send a video from my iphone to my sisters moto and it looks fine. Enough with the iMessage stuff already.
No reason to get testy. It is true that iMessage videos come out perfect. I'm an iOS fan and frequently use it. I'm not slamming it. But I frequently get videos from my mom or my sister who have iPhones and they either come in really small (as in the video itself is a small picture) or they are very grainy. My sister sent me a 3 second video of my nephews telling my daughter congratulations and it was very grainy and very literally 3 seconds. Yes they can send, but they definitely don't come in perfectly. If you know some secret, then by all means, let us know. I'm using a Nexus 5 right now, FYI.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Off topic but what kind of car do you have? Boost leaks can be a real pain to track down. I'm a big fan of turbocharged 4 bangers. Lol. I had a WRX for like 6 or 7 years until I just bought a Mazda Speed3 almost a year ago.

Back on topic, that's weird man. I've definitely had people with iPhones send me videos and the look like crap just like any other video I get via MMS. Such crap that we can take such great pics and videos but have no quick and easy way to send them to people when we are all paying a ton of money for our cell phones. SMDH.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Off topic but what kind of car do you have? Boost leaks can be a real pain to track down. I'm a big fan of turbocharged 4 bangers. Lol. I had a WRX for like 6 or 7 years until I just bought a Mazda Speed3 almost a year ago.

Back on topic, that's weird man. I've definitely had people with iPhones send me videos and the look like crap just like any other video I get via MMS. Such crap that we can take such great pics and videos but have no quick and easy way to send them to people when we are all paying a ton of money for our cell phones. SMDH.

Do text message videos send over WiFi? It would make sense if they do. Both my wife and I are typically on wifi, be it at home and work.

I have a 600hp super charged 2001 BMW M5 and a BMW 535xiT (wagon, my daily). I'm having boost leak issues in the 535, twin turbo inline 6. I just put a new tune on it upping the boost from 7psi to 15psi. Should be somewhere around 385hp. Its now showing the issues with the system with the increased boost. You're right, complete pita to troubleshoot.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So.. After the ho hum introduction to the iPhone 6 and 6+, which shape (round edges), sizes (4.7 and 5.5), hardware (1gb ram, dual core processor, 8mb camera) and features (nfc, expanded notification bar, widgets etc) remind me of the Galaxy s3 and note 2 running Android 4.1 Jelly bean 2 yrs ago! What say you apple guy? You staying on the Android side?

Posted from my Monster Galaxy Note 10.1 via Android Central App

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
So.. After the ho hum introduction to the iPhone 6 and 6+, which shape (round edges), sizes (4.7 and 5.5), hardware (1gb ram, dual core processor, 8mb camera) and features (nfc, expanded notification bar, widgets etc) remind me of the Galaxy s3 and note 2 running Android 4.1 Jelly bean 2 yrs ago! What say you apple guy? You staying on the Android side?

Posted from my Monster Galaxy Note 10.1 via Android Central App

Probably not. My technology ecosystem is set up for Apple. Plus, not being able to EASILY send anyone in my family videos via text message is a show stopper for me. While the hardware of the phone is way better than my iPhone 5 was (can't speak about the 6) the UI and software, in my personal opinion, is garbage. I while bide my remaining time with the S5 and return to the Apple mothership following the end of my contract with Samsung. Lol.

Your comment is also funny to me, "die hard Android fan." I don't ever want to hear you can me a fanboi.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I am using Aquamail.

Wow. If you read half the threads here they tell you to go into the app info and force close your apps. Now I'm being told not to close them at all? Can you explain to be how PayPal cab use 20% of my battery 4 days after I stop using it? The Capital One all did almost the same thing, 2 days later, 14% battery drain when I hadn't reopened it .......

At a f guess....its the PayPal app itself giving you grief (and likely the other app). My guess is that if you go into the application manager and open PayPal...its got the "notifications" option open...so what's happening is PayPal is waking up every so often to go grab you notifications (which spam your drop down shade), and do so to the tune of 20% :). Try disabling notifications and see if that helps. At the very least, you'll vet rid of the dreaded "You are logged out of PayPal" notification.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress