How to backup all Galaxy S5 app before factory reset?

kq702

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have a few problems with my galaxy 5s and I want to reset the factory settings but I want to back up my app data first. Is there a way to do this? I know I can just reinstall each app but I want to save the app data first, if it is possible.. Does anyone know?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: how do I back up all my apps so I can do a factory restore?

I assume you aren't rooted. I did this recently and used Helium Backup from the Play Store and it worked well. Just follow the directions carefully. After you create the backup, move it to your SD card.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem. I want to factory reset and then get my Galaxy S4 back just the way it was (but without the GPS disfunction it acquired somewhere around when I installed Oruxmaps and GPS Status & Toolbox).

So if I use a backup program, factory reset, reenter my Google account, let it download my apps, and restore my backed up data, what else will I have to do to get my phone back the way it was? Will restoring the data restore all the app settings?

I assume I don't want to restore the apps from the backup, in case one of them is garbled.

Sorry for the noob questions but this is kind of like jumping off a cliff. Any parachutes will be appreciated.

teslas

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Ur Google account keeps track of all your installed apps and will reinstall all automatically after a system restore and u log in again with same Google account.

Posted via the Android Central App

jemalone

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I assume you aren't rooted. I did this recently and used Helium Backup from the Play Store and it worked well. Just follow the directions carefully. After you create the backup, move it to your SD card.
I installed Helium and it says I have to have it hooked up to a computer using the desktop version of the software. Did they make a previous version that did not require hooking up to computer via USB.

Jack

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I installed Helium and it says I have to have it hooked up to a computer using the desktop version of the software. Did they make a previous version that did not require hooking up to computer via USB.

Jack
No, you have to enable USB debugging and hook up to a computer. That's the only way to back up app data of you're not rooted that I know of.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

No, you have to enable USB debugging and hook up to a computer. That's the only way to back up app data of you're not rooted that I know of.
Will Helium desktop back up phone and/or app settings?

Rerware, mfr of MyBackup, advised "All app's data/settings require root access for backup/restore." Does the USB / computer hookup with Helium get around this and save /restore settings?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Will Helium desktop back up phone and/or app settings?

Rerware, mfr of MyBackup, advised "All app's data/settings require root access for backup/restore." Does the USB / computer hookup with Helium get around this and save /restore settings?

I don't think it does phone settings. I was mainly concerned with app data and it backs that up quite nicely.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

I don't think it does phone settings. I was mainly concerned with app data and it backs that up quite nicely.
Does app data include the settings for the apps?

All those accounts, passwords, etc. come to a lot of work to enter. The phone settings aren't too bad.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

All of the above points out how hard it is to clone an Android phone.

for those of us who have not rooted our phones, the possibilities are not really too good.

"I hope" that using Kies 3.0, then Helium backup, and then Nova Launcher to backup my home pages would restore my phone from scratch again. So far, that is just a prayerful hope. That is what I have done as I mentioned back a few posts.

However, when I hook up my S5 and the PC, it appears that Helium does NOT need to have special permissions to perform the backup. At least it never asked me to do anything special. ie, it has never asked me to enable USB debugging on my Galaxy S 5.

Anyone know if it actually does make a backup of the app data?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
All of the above points out how hard it is to clone an Android phone.

for those of us who have not rooted our phones, the possibilities are not really too good.

"I hope" that using Kies 3.0, then Helium backup, and then Nova Launcher to backup my home pages would restore my phone from scratch again. So far, that is just a prayerful hope. That is what I have done as I mentioned back a few posts.

However, when I hook up my S5 and the PC, it appears that Helium does NOT need to have special permissions to perform the backup. At least it never asked me to do anything special. ie, it has never asked me to enable USB debugging on my Galaxy S 5.

Anyone know if it actually does make a backup of the app data?
Yes, it definitely creates app data backup. I did a factory reset and it backed all app data up perfectly.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Will all the apps install automatically when upgrading from an S4 to an S5?

NO!

If you retain the S4 and are able to connect both it and the S5 to your PC at the same time, then the answer is YES.

You simply use SmartSwitch and everything is moved over including your data.

* Smart Switch by Samsung

that being said, if you are registered with Google+, then the apps can be restored from your Google+ account, but not the data.

Kies 3.0 will also reinstall the apps, but not the data.

* Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

Super Backup will reinstall your apps from the SD card, I have that running on my phone, it automatically archives every app you download to the SD card.

..... Super Backup, "IF it is installed on a Rooted phone, Does Indeed backup your Data."

* Super Backup : SMS & Contacts - Android Apps on Google Play

there

Kreesen425

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Will helium save in app data such as game data for example? I am doing the factory reset because my S5 has started to lag incredibly over the last few weeks and I'm not sure what's causing it.