Help with notification Sounds while in the car on bluetooth

Robbnva

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
So when I am in the car and it's paired to the car and I am listening to the radio, I do not hear any notification sounds when I get emails and texts, the only way I hear them is if I am on the bluetooth input on my car radio but if I do that, I obviously can't listen to the radio.

I have searched and searched and can't seem to figure out how to have my notification sounds still play through my phone.

Any ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. So, first things first. Depending on your car (but MOST do this), unless you're in the Bluetooth input, you won't hear a thing coming out of your phone.

That being said, usually if your phone is not set to vibrate or silent, notifications should STILL be coming through your phone's speaker.

Also, check which profile is used to connect to your phone. It should be connected as a PHONE profile and not a SPEAKER one.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There should either be a Bluetooth menu in your car's stereo that says which profile it's using to link the phone or if you check your phone's Bluetooth menu it should also say which profile is connected.

jackbi43

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have my gmail setting set to silent no check in the vibrate and still get a audible notification on every email. I need to stop it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you get this notification on your phone or in the car? You might also have that setting for an individual account or label (Check your GMail app settings).

jackbi43

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I should have said this is not a blue tooth issue just on my phone, I have the notification in the gmail app set to silent but I still get a notification on every email.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is your LABEL NOTIFICATIONS option off? I'm still thinking this is either a label issue (you can set individual notification styles for different labels) OR a 3rd party app that's interfering. Do you have anything like LightFlow installed?

jackbi43

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by Label Notifications. I don't have light flow installed. I do have an app that has ringtones and wallpaper. The app is Zedge.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by Label Notifications. I don't have light flow installed. I do have an app that has ringtones and wallpaper. The app is Zedge.

Zedge would not do that.

Go into GMail > Scroll all of the way down on the left sidebar > Settings > tap your email account > See if notifications are on there... if they are, turn them to silent.
If you have any additional GMail accounts, repeat the process above or simply press the back button and tap on the rest of them.

Once you turned off notifications there click on the first GMail account > Scroll down > Manage Labels > This is where you can change the label notifications.
Do this with every GMail Account.

Put this in an easier to read way...
1) Open the GMail App
2) Open the left sidebar
3) Scroll all of the way down to the bottom
4) Tap on Settings
5) Tap your email account
6) Turn off notifications here
7) Scroll down
8) Tap on Manage Labels
9) Turn off notifications here
10) This should work. Send yourself a test email to verify.

If this doesn't work, let us know.

jackbi43

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I can't find a Manage Labels on this phone anywhere. I think I cured the problem though by changing the notification in email to silent and making two different sounds for voice mail alerts and IM alerts. several emails in the last 10 minutes and not no notifications. Thanks everyone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, so were you using your phone's stock e-mail app to check GMail? Or the GMail app? In any case, glad you got it working.

Robbnva

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
There should either be a Bluetooth menu in your car's stereo that says which profile it's using to link the phone or if you check your phone's Bluetooth menu it should also say which profile is connected.

My car doesn't have this option. I still can't hear text (and email) notifications when I am in the car. I have looked online on other sites and can't find a solution.

Robbnva

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
no, music and videos only play sound when on the bluetooth setting, phone ringing and text sounds are the same way. fwiw I had the exact same problem when I had an iphone also. I don't think there is a fix which is a shame

stavernation26

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Do you get this notification on your phone or in the car? You might also have that setting for an individual account or label (Check your GMail app settings).

my dad has been getting notifications in his car from his email (via bluetooth) and the only thing to fix it has been to turn off all media Bluetooth notifications but he still wants to play his music in his car. is there any way to just turn off the email bluetooth notifications to his car?