How can I get my SD card working on my Galaxy S5?

mrcduran

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S5 Brand new SD card not working

I just bought a brand new Samsung 64 GB SD card for my Galaxy S5. This is because I previously had a SanDisk 16 GB card that got corrupted with an update a couple months back.

I put the new card in and the phone recognized it with no problem. Using the My Files app I created a folder to copy over pics. The initial copy failed for some unknown reason. Now my SD card directory shows that it has no files and it will not let me create folders.

I tried reformatting the card via the phone and one time the folder showed back up. I tried to copy the rest of the files and got an error and missing files on the card.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm thinking my old card was not the problem now.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 Brand new SD card not working

I just bought a brand new Samsung 64 GB SD card for my Galaxy S5. This is because I previously had a SanDisk 16 GB card that got corrupted with an update a couple months back.

I put the new card in and the phone recognized it with no problem. Using the My Files app I created a folder to copy over pics. The initial copy failed for some unknown reason. Now my SD card directory shows that it has no files and it will not let me create folders.

I tried reformatting the card via the phone and one time the folder showed back up. I tried to copy the rest of the files and got an error and missing files on the card.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm thinking my old card was not the problem now.

What happens if you put the card in a PC?

mrcduran

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

It has some Android folders ans some of the pics (DCIM folder) that were successfully copied:

.android_secure
Android
DCIM
LOST.DIR

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

It has some Android folders ans some of the pics (DCIM folder) that were successfully copied:

.android_secure
Android
DCIM
LOST.DIR

That leads me to believe it's not the card. Next step would be to try another known good card in your phone.

mrcduran

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I just went out and bought this card today. I bought a Samsung card because I had read that phone had some problems with the SanDisk cards.

It is basically doing the same exact thing as it did with the SanDisk card. I did a check disk on my PC of the new card and it did reveal that there was corruption found.

This sucks has anyone seen this type of problem before?

freightguy70

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Take it back and get a Samsung 64gb uhs-1 evo card. No problems and fast read write speeds. Not sure if that's what you got. But maybe you bought wrong class?

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S5

mrcduran

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Yup, that's the one I got.

I am reformatting on the PC now. This didn't help with the other card. Lets see.

Not sure if I should start thinking of doing a factory reset on the phone? I'm sure there is a thread on here on how to do this right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movefla19