Can S5 make handsfree call from bluetooth when screen is locked?

AnhBob

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I have been unable to get my AT&T S5 to iniate a handsfree call from a bluetooth device if the S5 screen is locked. This is really unsafe in the car if I must pick up the phone, enter PIN or password before I can make a call. Kind of goes against the meaning of "hands free". I expected to find a screen lock bypass for "trusted" devices or something similar, but so far I have not. Anyone have a way to do this?
My bluetooth receives calls fine when locked, I just can't initiate a call.
Thanks!

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
In my toyota tacoma I can make a hands free call without unlocking the phone. I just push the call button on my steering wheel and my contacts come up on the display screen in my tacoma. I can choose from my call list and call.

AnhBob

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Black Thorne, Thanks for the reply. Did you have to configure anything on the S%, if so , what?
I am using an after market Motorola Roadster 2 that says it is compatable with S5. I press the voice call button and cannot get the screen to unlock. Tried just voice call commands, Google commands, Hi Galaxy, etc. with no luck. I am hoping that it just a configuration problem, though I see AT&T took away Car Mode and replaced it with Driving Mode (not sure of the differences).
If anyone else has a suggestion, please chime in.
Thanks!

AnhBob

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm... There must be a way to do this, since I don't see any complaints about it. I must be overlooking something very obvious.
If I push the "make a call" button on the blue tooth device I get a beep but the S5 screen never unlocks and I cannot get the BT to call. Someone at work told me I needed to make sure my BT was showing as a trusted device in the "override lock screen" settings, but I don't see that option anywhere on the S5.
I am getting frustrated and for this feature, wanting my iPhone back....well almost.

rcdougie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I use Advanced Key guard Manager in the Play store. With that app you can set trusted bluetooth and wifi connections. Works great for me.

Posted via Android Central App

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I may have misunderstood your original question. I thought you were trying to use your cars Blu tooth to make phone calls. Your trying to use a hands free Blu tooth device? (Not a car blu tooth system) The roadster you mentioned? If so, I'm not sure how that would work. Whether you would need to unlock the phone first or not.

AnhBob

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Adv. Key Guard works on S5? Can you expand on what it will and will not do? If my phone is locked and screen is black, I want to push the talk button on my Motorola Roadster 2 and be able to initiate a voice call. Will this app allow that to happen? Can I have the phone set for finger print secure lock or only PIN or what? It sounds from your brief description to be what I want, but I want to be sure.
Thanks.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I use the "car mode" on my S5 along with my Plantronics Marque 2 M165 Bluetooth headset. Works great. Car mode once turned on will show....phone....messages....navigation and music. Just say "hi galaxy" and tell your phone what you want to do....make a phone car.....send message...etc. Car mode will continuously be showing on your screen so there is no unlocking your phone.

Desertnate

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have to configure anything other than the Blu tooth setup. Once that was setup the hands free calling was good to go.

It works the same in my VW. I can make calls and play music via Bluetooth without ever touching the phone. All I did was pair the phone to the car and it's worked flawlessly.

midebrown

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I am reading this thread to try to resolve the same problem with my new S5 and the lock screen. You mention that Card Mode will continuously show on the screen so the phone doesn't have to be unlocked to make a call. So, the screen stays lit the entire time you are in the car? I don't want the phone to be lit up and wearing down the battery the entire time I'm driving. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks for your help.

midebrown

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I use the "car mode" on my S5 along with my Plantronics Marque 2 M165 Bluetooth headset. Works great. Car mode once turned on will show....phone....messages....navigation and music. Just say "hi galaxy" and tell your phone what you want to do....make a phone car.....send message...etc. Car mode will continuously be showing on your screen so there is no unlocking your phone.

I am reading this thread to try to resolve the same problem with my new S5 and the lock screen. You mention that Car Mode will continuously show on the screen so the phone doesn't have to be unlocked to make a call. So, the screen stays lit the entire time you are in the car? I don't want the phone to be lit up and wearing down the battery the entire time I'm driving. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks for your help.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes the screen will stay lit the entire time you are in car mode. You can always plug your phone into your car charger.

Posted via Android Central App

JrPete

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my new G - Note 4. I talked with BestBuy, Verizon and Samsung Support with negative result. None of them could explain it or offer a fix or work around. I believe that possibly the reason we have not seen a ton of complaints is many people don't use the lock screen or they don't use a BT headset at the same time that the lock screen is set. BTW - additionlly, the Voice Wake Up does not work either with a BT headset. "Hi Galaxy" works fine with the BT off but as soon as I turn on the BT it is not functional. I travel a lot and cant work safely or efficiently without my BT headset and I don't like leaving my phone unlocked while traveling. I have owned many Moto, BB, IPhone etc and have never had this issue with any of them. I WISH A SAMSUNG REP WOULD COME ON TO THIS FORUM AND TELL US WHY THIS IS THE CASE AND WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT. I have 11 more days to trail this N4. I am seriously considering taking it back and getting a Moto Turbo only because of this issue. One question: I have read the developer of Skiplock state that this problem may be cured with Lolipop rendering Skiplock not necessary for Samsung at least. Does anyone know if Lolipop will fix this issue? Have a great day! JRP

VT Bill

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I experienced the same problem with our S4 phones working with our car Blue Tooth adapter or a bluetooth headset - no voice commands when locked. Went to the Samsung rep at Best Buy but he had no clue. And yes I set the bluetooth to allow calls when locked.

Based on this thread I tried the app Advanced Keyguard Manager and it worked great. I set the phone to stay unlocked only when the car is on, and now we can use s-voice in the car without touching the phone. Thanks for the tip! Hope this helps others with this frustrating issue.

THEW0LF

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy S5 has same problem. Searching for an answer, Found this video.
search youtube for
"Samsung Galaxy S4: How to Make Call When Phone is Locked With Bluetooth Headset " by ITJungles

I cannot post links, sorry.
I am heading out to the car to try it now. I'll edit post and let you know if it worked.
-john
Edit:
It Worked!
Been having this problem since I got the S5, and this fixed it.
Summary:
Could not make outgoing calls with my vehicle bluetooth when S5 screen locked and off.
Solution:
1. Open Phone dialer
2.Click on 3 dots for "Settings"
3. choose "Call"
4. choose "Call Accessories"
5. choose "Outgoing call conditions"
6 choose "Even when screen is locked"
DONE!

-john

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I got my g s5 to work by having s voice "open via home key" unchecked. I use an hbs 750 headset. I just push the call button and it unlocks my phone and activates s voice.
I'm new at this, coming from an iPhone 5s, were everything just seemed to work.lol
Anyway, I can't tell you right now what other settings I might have active or inactive.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

johnsy76

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
My Galaxy S5 has same problem. Searching for an answer, Found this

Solution:
1. Open Phone dialer
2.Click on 3 dots for "Settings"
3. choose "Call"
4. choose "Call Accessories"
5. choose "Outgoing call conditions"
6 choose "Even when screen is locked"
DONE!

Techiechick23

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been frustrated by this issue ever since I got my S5 in December (switched from an iPhone and that is the only thing that even remotely made me consider going back). Shortly after I got it I discovered that Samsung's answer to allowing calls to go through if you have PIN locked your phone is to have you use car mode which keeps your screen active thus preventing it from locking. I didn't really like that but dealt with it. Introduce Lollipop and now what happens is that once I hang up from a call that I have been on for longer that 5 minutes the phone locks again forcing me to enter my PIN before I could make another call. Useless!

Johnsy76's solution works only when using Google instead of s-voice and it's irritating because you can't just say "call john smith mobile", you have to say "call john smith", then it will give you the options and you can pick a number and the speech is awful. I do have this setting on though so maybe it also works with the new app.

Tonight I managed to find VoiceButton and I am now a happy girl. Such a nice simple little app. I'll try to update after using it for a bit but having tested it out it seems pretty good. I can simply say "call john smith mobile" with my phone locked and it will do so! Voice recognition is pretty good. It could be a little faster but considering how it will blow through the PIN lock I will happily accept it. Hope that helps if you haven't already found an acceptable solution.