Why am I having issues Connecting to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter?

acchrisjcrash

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Connecting to Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter not working

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (running Android 4.4.4) trying to connect to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. When Screen Mirroring is attempted, both devices indicate that the connection is being attempted but after 20-30 seconds, the S5 indicates that the connection has failed. I know that the Microsoft product works since it can connect to my Surface Pro 3 and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. The Microsoft Display Adapter documentation claims it can work with Android products.

I wrote this because I saw one post that cklaimed that the s5 does work with the Microsoft adapter.

I have since chatted with a Samsung rep and below is the chat text. Basically they are saying that I need to use a Samsung adapter.

Visitor: have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (running Android 4.4.4) trying to connect to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. When Screen Mirroring is attempted, both devices indicate that the connection is being attempted but after 20-30 seconds, the S5 indicates that the connection has failed. I know that the Microsoft product works since it can connect to my Surface Pro 3 and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. The Microsoft Display Adapter documentation claims it can work with Android products.
Nycer: I understand that you are trying to connect your device to your TV and you are unable to connect with the adapter you have .Is that right ?
Visitor: correct.
Nycer: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SM, SGH, SCH or SPH .
Visitor: SM-G900V
Nycer: Thanks for the model number .
Nycer: Please let me check.
Nycer: Thanks for your time.
Nycer: You need to connect with the MHL adapter.
Visitor: you are saying that I need yet another Samsung product because my phone is not following industry standards? I was told that my adapter and phone are both Miracast certified products.
Nycer: Not to rush you, are we still connected on the chat?
Nycer: I understand that both are Miracast certified products but screen mirroring can be done only with the MHL adapter which is a samsung product
Visitor: This does not make sense.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Connecting to Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter not working

Samsung marches to the tune of a different ... horse. A Samsung phone, when you use screen mirroring, will only mirror to a Samsung TV. You can use any MHL adapter (Samsung devices do MHL in the normal way), you don't need the Samsung one. Look on Amazon, Best Buy, anywhere. The cheaper ones are about $20. Some of the "deal" sites have specials on them for a few dollars off. (The Microsoft adapter is just the wrong device to use in the case of a phone that needs an MHL adapter to output an MHL signal.)

I can't recommend one because I use Chromecast with my Note 3 - which is another way you can go. (Best Buy has them for about $24 this week and probably next.) You'll need the Chromecast app (free ar the Play Store) and Cast your Android screen from the Chromecast App might be a good reference. (BTW, the fact that the Chromecast will take a long time to update itself once you plug it in is normal - and it's probably going to update every so often - maybe every 6 months or so. It's an Android device. Plug it in, plug in the power [USB works if you have a free USB port on the TV, or you can use the supplied wall wart] and go for coffee. [Make sure the TV is on if you're using USB power.])

It's wireless, it looks as good as the phone or TV resolution (whichever is worse determines the best you get) and, aside from getting used to a portrait phone homescreen on a landscape TV, I love mine. (It also works with any app with the Chromecast button, like YouTube, on any device, even one that doesn't support the app, and it works with Chrome on any computer [I had to get one for my grandson once he spent the afternoon playing something on his Chromebook using my 55" TV].)

But your complaint is like "I have yo buy a hitch to tow a trailer after I already bought the car and some rope?" Mirroring in a Samsung phone or tablet, is a "device to Samsung TV" function, it's not intended to be used as a general video thing. I'm not agreeing with Samsung - I spent a few days trying to get my phone to talk to my Vizio TV before learning that it would never work, and contemplated getting an MHL adapter and a Miracast device - until I read that page I posted the link to. No wires, works with anything running Chrome (which I don't use, but both my grandkids do) and I don't get eyestrain reading articles for half an hour straight. (At my age, 10 minutes is bout the limit on a small device. The eye muscles just can't take he large angle shifts longer.) I'm definitely a Chromecast fan.

CousinBug

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same boat with the exact same configuration as OP (and my original Surface Pro works with it.)
This is just a plea to the public to JUST VERIFY if any of you has gotten your Samsung Galaxy S5 to connect to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. Anyone?

EricMarshall7

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. Were you ever able to figure out how to get it to work with the Galaxy S5? I had my sister-in-law try using her Galaxy S4 and it worked with no problem! I don't get it!

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

I have the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter and it did work with my S5. It also worked with my Surface Pro 2, Asus VivoTab Note 8, and Lenovo Yoga 2. However, I just tried it and I cannot get screen mirroring to work at all. It did work before as I was able to mirror my phone's display. I did it for all of 15 seconds because the experience was lame compared to my Surface Pro 2. Now though, I get the same connection errors.

I don't really understand either as the S5 is a Miracast certified device. Samsung may use their own standards for connecting to their HDTVs and Blu-ray players but it is also Miracast certified which means it should work with any Miracast receiver.

kroe2

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

same problem to me. I've got a samsung galaxy note 3 neo and I can't connect with the "Microsoft Display Adapter" but it works without a problem with the push2TV 3000 (netgear).
So I think it's a problem with the adapter from microsoft - I hope a near firmwareupdate from the Microsoft-adapter will solve the problem.

Kind regards
Dieter

iKings

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Same situation here.. Galaxy S5 (and Surface Pro 3) worked well with the wireless adapter on the first try, but my Tab S is having the same problem your S5 is.
With my Tab S, the TV screen intermittently goes black (about every 5 seconds) as if it was just about to establish a connection, then flashes back to the "Connecting..." screen, before eventually timing out.

Since it appears to be inconsistent with which devices are able to connect, I'm at least hopeful that my Tab S will eventually work!

Esolcz

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I see it might be common thing with Samsung phone, cousin has same issue.
I have a Samsung Tab 3 8 with Android 4.4.2 trying to connect to my Microsoft wireless display adapter. No luck either. I can't get it to work with my surface pro 3 either. I can get it to work with a colleague's sp3 at work. Only reason I still have it.

samsunggalaxy5

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have a galaxy s5 and I was able to connect my phone and mirror display using the microsoft galazy phone. As of a 3 weeks it stop connecting. It says connection failed. I have reset my phone, i exchanged the adapter at store and none seem to work. Can someone help.

lmdfr

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Same error with Galaxy S5 (Lollipop 5.0) and a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (Android 4.4.2). Can't connect :(
For the support Microsoft it's a samsung problem. For the support samsung it's a Microsoft problem.
The wireless adaptater is full update Works fine with a laptop on Windows 8.1. Test on 2 TV and 1 monitor
So this adapter is not fully compatible with android !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's an Android issue but rather something with Samsung devices. My fiance's S5 won't work with it and neither will a friend's Note 4. However, another friend has an HTC One M8 and it connected right away without issues. The Dell Android tablet they have connected and worked just fine too. Their M8 was running Android 4.4.4 and I think their tablet was running 4.4.2 but I could be mistaken.

Eclipser81

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My s5 worked until the software update 2 weeks ago. My wife's s3 still works. Very frustrating and will think twice about Samsung in the future.

novarex

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Note 3 that has been working with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. It used to take a minute or two to establish the connection but eventually it would connect. Since moving to Android 5.0 it is impossible to connect with the adapter. It just tries for a minute or two and the TV screen goes black every few seconds but in the end the connection attempt fails. With much regret I've gone back to watching all TV programs on my phone screen or occasionally going to the effort to drag my PC from one room to another and connect it up in order to watch programs on TV. Miracast was great while it lasted but now it's gone and the Microsoft dongle's off to the junk heap after only a few months of excellent service.

Julien Comme Julien

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey peoples!
I'm a french guy with a french galaxy s5 in android lolipop sm-g900f.
Same problem of you. But something odd, i try to connect so many times (maybe 10 times) without result and one more time and connection succeeded! I can see my GS5 desktop on the TV!
All works fine, but when i disconnect/reconnect, impossible to connect anymore.....

I don't know why its working 1 time in every 10 try.

Works fine with my surface pro 1

BLawruk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I was on Android v 4.4.2 a couple weeks ago - I was able to connect to a TV with no problems. Soon as I updated to v5 - no go :( It TRIES to connect, screen goes blank a couple times. . . then nothing.

I found this on the Microsoft site...
Compatibility.JPG

My guess is we'll have to wait for a firmware upgrade from Microsoft. At this time the firmware on the one I have is up-to-date. Sux :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38