"Maximum number of messages (5000) shown".

Jon Godwin

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
My business operates through my email just like most people and I am no longer receiving push notifications through my regular Android email, I am receiving the following message "Maximum number of messages (5000) shown".

Can anyone please please help me figure this out? Nobody here at my office in our IT Department can help me figure this out and I am stuck at my desk having to read and view emails because I cannot go on the road because email is so detrimental to my business. ANY help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either your email server or your email app has a limit of displaying 5,000 emails. Once you figure out which one it is (try reading the same account in a Windows email program like Thunderbird), you'll know what needs changing. If it's the server, and it's not your company's server, there's nothing you can do about it except archive the last 4,900 emails and keep archiving every time you get past about 4,000. If the server owned by someone else limits you to 5,000 non-archived emails, that's what you're limited to. (If you need to be able to read any of more than 5,000 emails at once, you're the fastest reader in the world, and your business model is completely wrong. If not, archive at the end of every month, and read whichever archive you need at the moment. The company may have to set up a server just for archiving your emails, if you get so many of them. There are 10TB drives available. If you need to archive more emails than that, why are you here? General Motors has its own tech department. [You'd have to be running a company at least that size to need to archive more than 10TB of email, or you'd have to be running a cloud server farm.])

Oh, and ask whoever does the hiring to hire techs for your tech department - promoting mailroom clerks to "technician" doesn't do the company any good. (This problem is IT kindergarten, it's not even IT 101.) If you have an IT department - a real one, not just clerks working in a room with "IT" on the door - you should almost never have to seek outside help, and when you do it should be something almost no one here could help you with. Things that have to be analyzed on-site, for instance. Or dual-homing your web server and phone lines over split-direction fiber, so that when the idiots redoing the building next door Ditch Witch through your fiber, you don't know it until someone sees the orange plastic thing sticking up out of the ground.

Didn't the IT person who administers your email server even have a clue about any of this?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Rukbat is right, maybe a bit harsh for what you wanted to hear, but you were asking for help, and he provided it in spades.

I am a damn good electronics tech myself, and work in the same field, but his IT knowledge is way beyond mine.

asimq

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
have you tried setting the sync period to 2 weeks or 1 month? see if that works. you may have to delete this account from your phone and re-create it with putting a cap on the sync period. in some cases i had to remove and re-enter the account details for the sync cap to take effect.

VIVEK PATRA

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Use Microsoft Outlook for Android.
I use Office 365 for Office mails and same in the mobile phone.
Earlier to Outlook, I was using inbuilt Mail application and it was not showing mails more than 5000. If can not use MS Outlook, then archive old mails and it will show newer mails.

Best Regards
Vivek

TOMAXWELLSMART

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: Samsung S7 Maximum number of messages (5000) shown -could be daily/total native email app limit

While the person responding said in beginning that could be your email app he never got back to it. I tried using Samsung S7 native app to download thousands of emails need to have available for my business since don't want to carry around laptop everywhere go since like many my work is 16x7 - might need to see email form a year ago or entire thread (I have pop on phone for reasons not relevant). I could not get past 1000. NOT server since found one email app that downloaded my 15k emails for that account. But that app while great has other issues that don't make it feasible. So just swapped for iphone. Tested at Apple store and iphone 6 native app downloaded past the 5000 so assuming will download all. Don't remember your saying type of phone you have but missed it. Before swapped (syncing questions and backup complexity with android phone additional reasons) did not know that many emails now limit including gmail and godaddy for those of us with our business websites hosted by it to prevent spam. Think iphone has limit but very high 25k. Did not realize that have day limits as well as total limits (not sure if any have how far in time back limits). Too bad if that was all my problem was - really loved the Samsung S7. Not sure if this helps MAJOR FLAW by Samsung if I am correct. Its one thing for your own company to set up limits (and not have anyone to provide corporate solutions. It is worse for those of us without IT departments. Unlike people with iphones, if you try and use Samsung and small business your only way to get info is haphadard and time consuming through forums like this one. carrier's help a joke (Verizon is pulling fast one by outsourcing its tech help to the phone insurance company and they are not competent). I am sure AT&T no better. and they are the "the best"s service from carriers.

TOMAXWELLSMART

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Does Outlook email app allow search of archived emails? if not then not solution 5000 email limit

If you use Outlook as email client and archive email, does the search work on archived emails? If not, then not the solution for many of us in business since often need to find older emails while doing business without access to laptop when need to see the old email. Temporarily using other phone, so can you say if Outlook email app also allows pop accounts- does it? Thanks.