WAZE map app versus phone getting warm

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Usually I just bring up WAZE if I notice traffic starting to slow down in front of me....
I want to find out if a hazard exists and should I tell my Garmin GPS to do a Detour?

Today, I wanted to try out my brand new "Encased" vehicle navigation mount for fit and function.

The mount was great....

The Waze app not so much so, It is a 30 minute drive down to the Cycle Gear store from my home, I need a new helmet. I live in a rural area and am not familiar with Tulsa all that much.... so hey, I can try out the mount and this new map app at the same time.

The Waze app performed as it should, although I am very disappointed in the voice directions.... They are "way too late" to be useful. Waited until I on almost on the exits before it said anything. That is deep kimshee if you are 5 lanes over to the left and you need to exit right.

The Garmin always alerts me 1.1 mile in advance and announces the proper lane, and shows it as a camera snap shot of that exact exit. Waze, uh, "turn right".... duh?

Now to the real problem. When I got to the store, I took the phone out of the mount and "hmmmm, this thing is hot!"
not just warm, but right on the edge of hot....

I take it that Waze keeping the screen Bright White is hell on battery power, and the charger chip was having to work overtime to keep up with the power drain.

Anyone else have experience with Waze and their phone heating up? Any phone, not just my S5.

vp3838525_1_thumb.jpg this is why I need a new helmet.... new to me, traded in my Honda ST1100

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Used Waze a few times, and decided that Maps and MyDirections was just about as good (with Google now using Waze data to update Maps conditions it's even better, supposedly, but a "traffic jam" here is what we used to call "another car" in NYC - I've actually experienced a 5 minute delay). It could be the charger, it could be the GPS receiver. Have you tried Maps or Mapquest with the phone in the nav mount? (I use Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount, so most of the phone is exposed when it's in the mount.)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have Co-Pilot GPS map app, it is terrific because the entire USA database resides on the SD card.
It is extremely fast because of not ever needing outside data. I run the screen pretty dim with that app, and no heating problems at all.

Maps.Me Pro is another mapping app that has the same functionality of Co-Pilot GPS. All data is on the SD card and it is extremely fast.... this app has more specific data sets on it that I really like for local type use, not navigation. Boundary lines of each home plot in a city for instance. This app was the very first piece of info that let me see exactly where my property lines are. I live on a 5.5ish acre lot that has more zig zags than a dogs hind leg. Until I found this app, the best I had was a hand drawn surveyor's map which did not directly relate to mapping apps.

I don't use other navigation apps because I restrict my data use as much as possible, so have no comparison if they would run hot or not. I used to use Google maps but it is not worth a damn around here in rural America, more 1x cell tower coverage in more places than the carriers are willing to admit and it, like Waze, needs DATA to run.

Today, I was just doing a one off exercise with Waze. I think it is a neat social app for detours, but it is not something that I would ever depend on. I do like the way that it is constantly redrawing the screen and changing the parameters depending on your compass direction and speed. I suspect that this is the exact reason for the high current consumption and making the phone run hot.

You just cannot get around the fact that "I" times "E" = heat.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I have never had a issue with waze. It always tells me to turn in enough time and its the most accurate and best app for detours because of traffic.

Posted via the Android Central App

garakhan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Waze has made my phone warmer, and made it fall off from a suction mount. Even then I still like waze with cop notice, debris and so on, because some roads are just full of hazard.
During summer, I clip them on vent mount with AC on. During winter with warm heater blowing, I move them to windshield mount. Hassle, I know.
I am trying to get this one to solve two mount issues. I hope they get funding to make it.
This one claims it's a universal car mount as in vent mount, visor mount, windshield mount, sunroof mount :) dash mount and CD mount. That is enough options for me. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247222675/fum-shape-changing-flexible-universal-mount-for-an

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Waze has made my phone warmer, and made it fall off from a suction mount. Even then I still like waze with cop notice, debris and so on, because some roads are just full of hazard.
During summer, I clip them on vent mount with AC on. During winter with warm heater blowing, I move them to windshield mount. Hassle, I know.
I am trying to get this one to solve two mount issues. I hope they get funding to make it.
This one claims it's a universal car mount as in vent mount, visor mount, windshield mount, sunroof mount :) dash mount and CD mount. That is enough options for me. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247222675/fum-shape-changing-flexible-universal-mount-for-an

Very interesting looking mount there. Has a lot of potential if they can "get it off the ground" pun intended
ROFL.gif

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana