Home button on my S5 and Google Now

SanDiegoSacramento

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
All you have to do is go to Application Manager > Google App > click "Turn off." This instantly fixed the problem for me.

**Note: This will disable voice texting, but I personally never use that, anyways.

Last edited:

Peter Kalish

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Same problem. I figure there will eventually be an update to fix the home button problem.

For now, I figured a really stupid workaround...but it seems to be repeatable. I just hit the home key three times fast. Yeah, it goes right to the home screen. And it allows me to keep all the Google functionality on my phone.

Ted Czyzewski

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Same issue. I've had COUNTLESS chats with Samsung Technical support and they are of no help at all. They don't want to admit the quality of their devices are subpar. As an old iPhone user, now have Samsung Galaxy S5, I thought I would have had a better experience with android. That iPhone 6 is looking real good now.

touchwiz blows.

Brian Beckwith

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so this problem has been plaguing me for almost a month, including my phone being so much slower, but mine is fixed now. I just took it to the Samsung kiosk at my local best buy, and they connected it to their system, and reflashed the firmware. My phone is faster now, and I can get home with one press. He said sometimes the update can get screwed up over wifi. Hope this helps everybody.

swhitley

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This has been happening to my phone (S5 Active) and a friend's phone (S5) for a few days now. Both AT&T, both recently received the 4.4.4 update. Restarting helped for a short period of time, maybe a day or two. Bumping this thread for visibility and hopefully a permanent fix, because we are both ready to run our phones over it's so annoying.

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Same issue. I've had COUNTLESS chats with Samsung Technical support and they are of no help at all. They don't want to admit the quality of their devices are subpar. As an old iPhone user, now have Samsung Galaxy S5, I thought I would have had a better experience with android. That iPhone 6 is looking real good now.

touchwiz blows.

You have no idea what you are talking about. This is an AT&T issue after an update AT&T released. Go back to being an iSheep

Posted via MY Note 4

darrylsepulveda

May 2, 2013
Visit site
This issue will not be resolved until there is another update. This is why:
Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Cavin'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125603304657X

Cavin: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Darryl Sepulveda: Hi, I have had an ongoing issue with my GS5 model: smg900a. The issue is that when i press my home key it directs me to google now instead of going home.

Cavin: I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you with the home button on your device.

Darryl Sepulveda: I have tried a sof reset and hard reset, but they only temporarily fix the issue.

Cavin: I will do my best to help you.

Darryl Sepulveda: I spoke to two different samsung agent about it but no solution yet.

Darryl Sepulveda: I noticed the issue when I got the 4.4.4 update from att.

Cavin: I request you to go to settings>>application manager.

Cavin: In that please swipe right to all tab.

Cavin: Please select the google application.

Cavin: Please select turn OFF or disable it.

Cavin: Are you able to follow the above steps?

Darryl Sepulveda: The google search app?

Cavin: No, it is Google application.

Cavin: Have you disabled it?

Darryl Sepulveda: yes

Cavin: Please check with the result now.

Darryl Sepulveda: Its fixed the issue, but its vibrates as though it were about to launch google now.

Cavin: Please restart the device and check with the result.

Darryl Sepulveda: ok

Cavin: Please let me know the status.

Darryl Sepulveda: it doesnt vibrate any more. does this mean i cant use google voice commands anymore?

Cavin: You will not be able to use the google browser.

Cavin: You need to use the default web browser only.

Darryl Sepulveda: why is this issue occuring?

Cavin: I am sorry, it is the temporary issue.

Cavin: It will be fixed for sure.

FaintDeftone

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
This is what I had to do to make the issue go away for good. Sucks because I am basically disabling features on my phone in order to fix their bug, but I'd rather do that than deal with this constantly.

cooooeeee

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys - I think I found a fix.

Step 1: Go to Settings>Default Applications
Step 2: Clear defaults, especially for Google Now
Step 3: Then hit the home button.
Step 4: There should be a prompt for TouchWiz Easy Home or TouchWiz Home. Choose either, I chose TouchWiz Home and hit always.

This should do it.

**btw - been using this for 3 days without any restarts, etc. Flawless normal ops.

Cheers.

Last edited:

RedMustang1987

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I searched and searched, try uninstalling firefox, I think it has something to do with it. After I Uninstalled firefox my home button works great after weeks of problems from updating! Hope this fixes everyone's issue, please let me know!

jennyrayray

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I FOUND A FIX!
i called att and this of course is a known issue.
-Go to settings
-Application manager
-Scroll to the left for "ALL"
- scroll down and find "touchwiz home"
-clear cache
-clear defaults
Hit home
hit "always" to make touchwiz home defualt
click ok

coolsharky

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I HAVE AN ANSWER! I have been looking for a way to remove the long press google search since the update to the S5 by AT&T. I just figured it out! I opened up my "all apps" screen, long pressed on the blue "Google App", dragged it to Uninstaller (trash bin) that appears at the top of the screen, it gave a warning that all data etc would be deleted blah blah blah, i chose "ok" and it said it was reverting it back to factory version since it was a preloaded app and voila! ! I'm so excited! ....

Hope this helps everyone!

This was already mentioned 3 times at least...

Artation

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me so far, though I had to do it several times (changed the home button to the "easy" version of the same app, then changed it back).